1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any other programmers out there?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Ryujin, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Ryujin

Hi! I'm quite young for a programmer, but I enjoy writing programs etc and just watching them run, it's an awesome feeling.
    I was wondering if anyone else here programmed, what language they used and perhaps we could strike up a bit of conversation about programming?

I write lua primarily with a bit of ruby, though since learning ruby I've started to use that a lot more than Ruby.

So... What do YOU write?

2. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've just started learning C++ out of interest and wanting to do little projects on the side. I'm still in the console equations phase and made a simple calculator. I hope to expand out into other languages especially those for mobile phone applications which would be a major plus in my field.

3. Ryujin

I tried learning C++ and then stopped when I reached pointers. Because pointers.

4. Emulator

:smilewave

The few basic languages (HTML, PHP, Javascript, bit of Python) are the ones I know more about. Been wanting to go into C, C++, Ruby, but I lack the proper environment for those just yet. (I'm still living on Windows XP from '07.) Still looking for a C++ compiler. And all programming of mine is put on hold for now.

5. Ryujin

Codeblocks is a good IDE and can be installed with a compiler on it :slight_smile:

6. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know some Web Programming- HTML, CSS, JavaScript. I work for web development agency actually. I don't really do any programming though :frowning2:

7. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ah, I didn't know if markup languages counted but I definitely know those (HTML, PHP and JS) ones. :lol:

8. glw

glw Guest

I know a bit of JS and PHP. HTML and CSS I learned to do hobby dev. I do want to learn some more C and maybe LISP. Never really got into much java or python. I do know some perl and how to make shell scripts.

9. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I program from time to time. I tend to use C++, ruby, and python. I prefer C++ for graphics work and physics stuff. I am in no way a very good programmer, but I use it when I need it. I also know markup languages and use them fairly often.

10. Leonardo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know a little bit of Python, Javascript and HTML.

11. Ryujin

For all under 18 programmers, I reccomend Young Rewired State's Festival of Code.
    I did it this summer and it was a very enjoyable way to flex my programming muscles :grin:

12. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    String myComment = &thisComment;

But seriously once you understand how memory works they aren't too hard to understand. But they are annoying in larger projects when you have some dynamic allocation and the program won't compile because there is something "wrong".

I learnt c++ first and I wouldn't recommend it. It's best to start with Java, Python, or other similar language. C++ is hard and requires some sort of understanding on how hardware works. Especially memory.

I'm a computer science student so I program every day. I enjoy it most the time. The key with programming I think is to be patient. Eventually you will find that bug and eliminate it.

13. Ryujin

I think I understand pointers to some degree, but I tried learning in like 3 days time before festival of code.
    I think C++ is quite a boring language to write as well whereas something like ruby really entertains me(for some reason, I think it's the beauty of the language)

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even "sort of" understanding pointers is better than where I was at when I was 13.

I have been a programmer all my life. I have been working as a software developer full time for 3 years.

Looking to get into information security, because I like blue team. (*hug*)

I write C, C++, C#, VB.Net, and Java if somebody pukes enough into my coffee.

15. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I've only gotten into programming a little while ago, though I've been writing markup (HTML/CSS) since twelve, but only have begun to take it seriously. Currently working in Javascript, Python, Ruby, and C++.

16. Water lover

Water lover Guest

I have been working with a lot of languages in all reality never getting very far idk I lose interest in my project to soon. I know a couple mark-up languages like html, css,and jscript. The first langauge i every worked with was Lua and surprising enough it was in the roblox IDE (yup they have one), I have worked with jscript to create a small particle simulation and lua/java/c++ to model the game monopoly (got almost all of that done then i got bored because i knew all of the spots by heart). Currently (like as I am writing this) I am working with python using openCV to create a arduino turret. The white space behind python becomes difficult to handle when taking someone else's code (with permission) and putting it into your own.

On a side note if anyone has any good resources to learn to really code good and make real projects I would love to hear about it because well I am not very good and I want to be. Lets just say the farmers around me arn't much help.

17. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean, it depends on what you want to do. I recommend a "low barrier to entry" language for having fun in. Python and the managed languages (C# and Java) are the best for this in my opinion, because unlike the native languages (C, C++) you don't have to get bogged down in system details*, and you can just write your fucking program and have fun. (*hug*)

I recommend sticking to small projects that are relevant to your life. Pick something on your computer you want to do automatically and do that. Do you read the news everyday? Some blogs? Why not try to write a program that goes and automatically downloads or gives you a digest of their content for the day.

*: You know, details like, if you're in C++, do you have to pass this by reference, and are you absolutely sure you deleted that copy constructor, or if you're in C, was the pointer that came back from the function malloc'd and you're responsible for freeing it, or is it a static pointer and you can't free it?

18. Katbot

*wiggly non committal hand gestures*

I'm teaching myself python, did a week long course in crsh course Java, and I have a raspberry Pi, so I dabble in all of those from time to time. I suck at keeping up practise though, since I'm learning myself.

I love learning something in one language and then trying to do it in another though. I'm pretty useless but its fun to change around the code and see what happens!

19. Jan92

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Computer Science rookie student here!

I've only learned Java. Hopefully, at the end of the year I'll be also writing C and C++.

20. imekon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a software engineer of some <mumble mumble> years now.

I started in the 8 bit world and kept on going...

My name is on a few games - DiRT, GRiD and F1 2011 so I've been a games developer as well. That lasted four years.

I went to Australia for a visit with the bf and we stayed at a couple he knew. One of them is a teacher at a technical college teaching... games development! So they asked me to give a talk, which was a lot of fun.

Typical question asked, "do you make a lot of money?", to which I replied, "about the same as any other software engineer".

I then gave another talk to a LGBT youth group who were less interested, except for one student who was interested in getting into games.

The video I like referring to is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGar7KC6Wiw

Now I'm between jobs working in C#/C++. I recently built a 3D printer and been having fun with that!