1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help making new computer.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RandomTrall, Aug 25, 2014.

1. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Making a new computer for a few reasons. Personal. It will be my first computer so much help.

Budget is I don't know really. I wanted $400, but everything I looked into goes into the $500-$600 range. Actually one computer I put together was just under $900 in cost. Waiting for Labor day I don't know hopefully some sales and what not. The computer's purpose is just normal web browsing with some game compabilities. Nothing fancy like 1920x700 hd blu-ray ultra high graphics. Not really interested in that. Medium to high graphics on 1270x720 is fine. Games to use as a reference are Battlefield and Smite.

The AMD build the guy at Tigerdirect showed/recommended to me:
    -I forgot the mother board, but it was from Gigabyte.
    -AMD FX 8600 processor. I think.
    -Radeon R7 260x or was it the R7 270x.
    -PNY 4GB (2 x 2GB) RAM. I remember this one.
    -LPB 450w PSU. I'm pretty sure. I know it was 450w.
    -1TB WD blue hard drive. This was actually cheaper than the 500GB for some reason.
    -And I forgot the case, but it was a mid tower cougar case.
    Totaled: $510~

Computer I found from some dude on Youtube:
    -Intel Pentium G3258
    -ASUS H81M-D Plus
    -PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB)
    -1TB Seagate.
    -ASUS GeForce GTX 750 Ti
    -Fractal Design Core 1000 MicroATX Mid tower
    -EVGA 500w
    Totaled: $434~

Another AMD from some dude:
    -AMD FX-6300
    -Asus M5A99x EVO R2.0
    -Gskill ripjaw x series 8GB
    -WD 1TB
    -Asus Radeon R9 270
    -Cooler Master Storm Scout 2
    -Corsair CX 600w
    Totaled: $766~

Intel I put together on my own:
    -i5-3340s
    -Asus P8B75-M/CSM intel B75
    -EVGA Geforce GTX 650
    -WD 1TB. It was 500 GB, but seeing as the 1TB is cheaper just...Yeah.
    -Corsair 4GB RAM
    Corsair CX 500w Modular
    -Ultra xblaster Mid tower V2
    Totaled: $578~

I actually have no idea the processors. Like the i5 and pentium. I thought Pentiums weren't for games, but the guy had it and it was running pretty high. I also thought that GTX 750 ti's were really strong and good, but it was actually one of the cheaper builds. Why is that? Do the other parts just suck and the video card is where most of the cost is?

Do you guys recommend anything?

2. Yosia

I would consider the one you made yourself. However 4GB of RAM may not be sufficient enough in maybe 1 or two years so you might want to invest in 8GB instead.

3. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Aw man, my build #1.

This is just like the first computer. In a few years I'll probably up my budget and make a better computer.

4. Yosia

Fair enough. Also the graphics card isnt bad but may be too outdated in ~2 years. At least from my knowledge. So for your first PC it will great and you dont need to make a totally new one in a few years, you can just upgrade the parts which need upgrading. ^.^

5. shinji

shinji Guest

When building a computer you must always follow these simple rules:

1. Never, ever, ever, ever, go with an AMD CPU, no matter how good the price to performance ratio may look.
    2. See when new sockets/chipsets come out and decide if it won't be better to wait. For example in your situation, it would be wiser to wait for the new DDR4 motherboards with the new Intel CPU's and the X99 chipset.
    3. Never cheap out on the power supply.
    4. SSD's are your friends, and so are external hard drives.
    5. A graphics card with less than 256 bit (192 at least) is garbage that is not even worth the money.
    6. Being patient and investing more money in a build so that it can last you longer, is far wiser than dishing out cash for a full upgrade that won't last you a year. If you don't have the cash now, try upgrading stuff one by one. For example, case, psu, SSD, graphics card, you can upgrade now, for the other stuff (memory, motherboard, cpu) you can wait.
    7. It's a good idea to invest in an after market cooler, preferably a closed water loop.
    8. Pre-made computers might be cheap but said cheap-ness often comes at the expense of a crappy motherboard, memory, case, PSU, hard drive.
    9. If you do decide to go for a hard drive instead of an SSD, go for Western Digital Black, 64mb cache, 7200rpm, or something with similar characteristics from Seagate. Never go for hybrid hard drives (they are simply not worth it).

If you have any questions, you can PM me.