1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Journalism and the attack on Gamers

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Simple Thoughts, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Simple Thoughts

The Gamer Identity Is Not Dead

^

for more context on this particular article go to any gaming journalism ( besides IGN ) and you will find at least 1 article slamming all gamers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhV4BDjP0-M&list=UUl56A_cZILmf9NMwbn2Sg7g&index=1

^

A youtuber who parodied Anita Sarkeesian, shortly after she recieved a threatening call from Sarkeesians supporters. It's really heartbreaking and sad to hear.

Gamers Revolt: Another Take on The Zoe Quinn Scandal | Bright Side of News*

^

A brief overview of some of the events taking place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Equc1QnQ9rw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km3DZQp0StE&list=UUWB0dvorHvkQlgfGGJR2yxQ

^

A good place to start if you want to know what's going down.

Over the last two weeks Gaming has been under attack. By who? Well that would gaming journalists. A story broke about a game dev named Zoe Quinn and how she was sleeping with journalists as well as her own boss.

Now this story wasn't really on anyone's radar, that is until...Zoe Quinn attempted to remove a video on the topic from Youtube. The attempt at censorship sparked a bit of outcry, and the public eye was all over the scandal.

There is literally so much going on with this story I can't even cover it all in a timely fashion. Instead I've offered a few links and to those interested they can follow the white rabbit.

Edit: If you want the other side of the story you need only go to any gaming journal out there and browse for 5 minutes. They are all uniform in their slams and desperately trying to hide our side of the story underneath a mountain of propaganda.

2. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

gaming "journalism" is the pits. like the armpits, and death pits of olde. it makes me laugh on my ass, sorry, like a woman cheated on a man that sucks..... BUT SHE MADE A BAD VIDEO GAME??!!?!?! STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES LITERALLY WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT EBOLA LETS GET THIS DEVIOUS SLUT

---------- Post added 31st Aug 2014 at 02:17 PM ----------

she had sex for good reviews of her bad indie game no one played, im sure rockstar is crying about THE INJUSTICE while throwing a couple hundred thou at ign and shit because everyone uses game review sites these days (no one uses game reviews this days. maybe kids?? parents???)

i dont mean to sound charged gaming ~culture~ is just really odd and unaware and i like it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

---------- Post added 31st Aug 2014 at 02:18 PM ----------

Gaming under attack. Ddos? No..... A woman......... Had sex........ With review man...................

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can you please explain more about this? I'm having a really difficult time understanding what your rhetorical purpose is here.

I am listening to the Jayd3Fox video now, and I am in awe, of course. Feminists are humans just like everybody else, and they make grave moral errors just like everybody else in moments of weakness, like extreme anger. Slut-shaming and suicide encouragement are very anti-feminist, actually. I'm sure that it happened; I mean, I have no reason to doubt what she says. However, it's very out of line and inconsistent with feminist principles. (Of course, after condemning suicide encouragement from feminists, Jayd3Fox then proceeds to do it herself, in the same video, multiple times. So that just goes to my point: I don't think she means anything by it, other than that she's communicating her hurt and anger to us.)

I'm just really not down with what I think you're doing here...

#3 Pret Allez, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  4. Simple Thoughts

Well this story is extremely long. It's not actually about feminism, it's about this off branch of an extremists version of feminism that's being lead by voices like Anita Sarkeesian and Zoey Quinn.

The story Started ( note: started not where it is now...though getting anyone on the "feminist" side to understand that is a waste of effort ) with Zoey Quinn having sex in exchange for good reviews and career boosting. On top of this she also made up Fake controversies and dragged several people's names through the mud in order to get support and donations to her Patreon. This stuff no longer matters to gamers. The only point to take from this is very simple. Gamers learned that maybe we should take a more critical look at game reviewers.

We started asking questions. We asked simple ones: Did Nathon Grayson write about Zoey Quinn? Was Nathon Grayson actually sleeping with her? Has this happened before? What steps are you taking to ensure that your media platform isn't guilty of biased reviews in the future?

For the first few days the response we got was simply, silence. Nothing, they all refused to talk about it, to address it.

A few days after that when we kept the pressure up Zoe Quinn sent out a few tweets to the moderator of /v section of a very popular image board. Not long after that entire threads were dissapearing, and anything anyone said that even mentioned the controversy started to dissapear. At the same time gaming magazines/journals started to remove comments from their articles relating to the matter. This really pissed off gamers because we aren't about to have them try to silence us.

When censorship and "not talking about it" failed they tried one more little trick. They started a smear campaign against the gaming community. They all released articles within 24 hours of each other making the argument that calling yourself a "gamer" meant you were: Misogynistic, a neckbeard, lonely, fat, pathetic, and even went as far as to say we were and I quote, "Worse than ISIS". From that point everything which was already at a boiling point just hit the fan.

I will mention one more thing. 1 of 2 possible things happened and I won't claim 1 over the other. Option 1.) Zoe Quinn faked herself being hacked, and Anita faked some threatening messages. Option 2.) They both really were attacked by a fringe part of the gamers ( the extremists. Every group unfortunately has them). I stay out of this one because I don't have the means to know for certain one way or the other. I can only say this on the matter. To the butts who did this you should be ashamed ( if option 2 is right ) and you journalists should know better than to try and spin the actions of the few into the face of the whole it's blatantly untrue and you know it! If on the other hand it's being faked I'd simply say that this is a serious matter that we need to be able to take seriously and people making fake accusations about such things are only hurting those who are really suffering from it.

We're under attack by the same people who are supposed to be there for us and we feel betrayed and used. We just want some accountability in gaming journalism, but what we're getting is this blatant and vicious assault against us. It's BS.

#4 Simple Thoughts, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  5. SeaSalt

6. Simple Thoughts

Thank you for that post, it really kinda has everything neatly bundled up. I mean it leaves out the Jontron/Egoraptor bit but that's kinda a sidestory really.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I am still having a lot of difficulty understanding what's going on. Zoe goes along and sleeps with some journalists. Unethical move, okay... What's the Anita angle in all this? What is the point of any of this coverage of the scandal?

To me, the idea seems to be that Zoe did a legitimately bad thing, gamers called her out; in response, gamers got accused of sexism, incorrectly. Ergo, what? Seriously?

Can nobody ever criticize bad behavior in some gamers?

I find it completely puzzling. Why are we talking about an attack on gamers rather than talking about the regularity with which some gamers attack everyone else? I have been a gamer for pretty much forever, and I have had sexist behavior directed at me almost all the time by someone at least a couple times daily, and it's been very hurtful. So I don't exactly have a lot of sympathy that now gamers as a whole feel under attack when some of them have in fact been utterly inhumane. They've almost never let the rest of us in or made us feel at home. We've been unsafe, and outsiders amongst outsiders.

Also, the Gamers Revolt article is seriously annoying. This is a picture caption from it: "Zoe Quinn created this chart to reflect “the comments on any article a woman writes or is featured by on a major gaming website”, objectifying a core audience of gamers in the process. It’s apparently also a drinking game." (Emphasis added)

Why the hell is it okay for Derek Strickland to say that??? How is pointing out something that's true about some gamers, and true about what some women experience "objectifying a core audience of gamers"? This is what I mean when I say that the point seems to be that marginalized gamers like me aren't ever allowed to criticize sexist gamers.

#7 Pret Allez, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  8. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Just as a counterpoint here's what Kotaku had to say about it - http://kotaku.com/in-recent-days-ive-been-asked-several-times-about-a-pos-1624707346

I did have a long rant about the way certain women are treated in gaming, including Quinn. But then I found someone from the Guardian had put it much better than I did, with a lot more added sarcasm - How to attack a woman who works in video gaming | Technology | theguardian.com

Gaming has a woman problem and as long as internet neck beard man children are running the show, it will continue to have a woman problem. That's the story here, not some conspiracy theorist bullshit.

EDIT: That being said I do think there's a worthwhile discussion to be had about gaming journo ethics and I do know multiple sites have voluntary codes of conduct. Problem is Quinngate is no longer about those ethics. This is about bullying a woman, who the aforementioned man children don't like, out of the industry all together.

#8 GeeLee, Sep 1, 2014
  9. Simple Thoughts

I'll sum this up as simply as I can:

I really don't care about Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian. What has me so upset about this is very simple: Don't use accusations of sexism targeted at your own primary audience to try and sweep the real issue under the rug.

There really is a discussion to be had about the behavior of a lot of gamers, especially in games like COD and Halo. They call people: fag, bitch, cunt, ect...say stuff like "I'll rape you" or "I fucked you mom" all the time. I don't agree with that. I won't lie and say I haven't been guilty myself in a moment of anger, but I try not to stoop to such a pitiful level. There is a discussion to be had here, but that discussion being pushed to the forefront in order to sweep another issue under the rug is just unacceptable.

Also "Neck beard man children" <---- really? You're gonna say "Name calling is bad and wrong" and at the same time use it yourself?

That's called hypocracy.

Violence only begets more violence, same applies to name-calling.

There is a discussion to be had, and this "Gamers say mean things to us" shield they are throwing up over the real issue is upsetting.

Also, of course there are some gamers saying mean things. They are getting beaten down, treated like crap, and verbally abused by people that they used to rely on as readers looking for info/reviews about the next game they should look into.

It DOES NOT justify some of the reactions, but the few who are going to such extremes do not represent the whole, and honestly most of us haven't resorted to such tactics, we just want some answers.

Also anyone discovered to have been involved in this and caught red handed with corruption should be removed. We need to clear the plate and start over because right now gaming journalism is just a giant joke.

Edit: to the question "Why Sarkeesian" the answer is that she CHOSE to throw herself into the mix. She chose to release her newest video about women vs. tropes in gaming during the middle of the heated discussion, then she jumped right into the middle of everything. She chose to do that, and she knew before hand ( and from past experience ) what that would be like. It was a career move, a very well thought out and intelligent career move on her part. That lady is very good at what she does and that's capitalize on a controversy.

---------- Post added 1st Sep 2014 at 10:25 PM ----------

Oh right I forgot about the little half-butted response that was really just a bunch of words with zero actions attatched to them.

He also conveniently forgets about the fact that Grayson writes for Rock barrel Shotgun as well where he did in fact post about Quinn's game, and his article about Game Jam that's supposedly 'no big deal' was written literally an amount of days you can count on one hand before they had sex. Am I to assume they weren't already closer than was professionally acceptable?

#9 Simple Thoughts, Sep 1, 2014
  10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree it's hypocrisy, and I'm not in favor of that behavior. Though as I mentioned, Jayd3Fox was rightly condemning suicide encouragement and then ended her video with some suicide encouragement herself. In my mind, though, it doesn't discredit her, because I'm willing to overlook something stated in a moment of human weakness and look at their overall criticism. If she has been treated in the manner claimed--and I am going to take what she says to be true, because I assume good faith from her--that is certainly evil, and anti-feminist as I said. However, as you'll see in my response below, there are things about this issue that I understand much much less.

Honestly, I don't think this is good enough, and it's an attempt to divert and silence criticism of sexism in parts of gaming communities. Marginalized gamers have never been allowed to criticize sexist gamers, ever. Gamers as a whole are fiercely anti-political. They just want to enjoy their games free of any criticism, even if they deserve it. As a gamer myself, I understand the history of why this is so. Mainstream news media pundits have been saying violent computer games contribute to crime, even though no evidence supports this. (In fact, on a related note, movies are more violent than ever, but our generation is the least violent in US history.) So I get that. We've been subjected to a lot of false, and unfair criticism.

Nevertheless, it is an unfortunate human frailty that we've allowed that experience to calcify a belief that we can never be criticized, and all criticisms made against us are made with malice. Most criticisms of gamers that I'm aware of come from other gamers. It's not really coming from the outside. It only comes along from the outside when there's a school shooting, honestly. They just find out whatever FPS the shooter played, and that's the media's demon for the next two weeks. And ultimately, nothing ever comes of it.

"Gamers say mean things to us" is not a shield. It's the truth. It's possible to have both conversations at once. I've already had the conversation. If women game developers are using sexual quid pro quo to get ahead, that's wrong. If the threat of pulling advertising revenue is getting game reviewers fired from publications, that's wrong. However, none of that invalidates that sexism in gaming communities exists, and is a persistent, under-discussed and unresolved problem.

Here's a question for you. When you said, "Also, of course there are some gamers saying mean things. They are getting beaten down, treated like crap, and verbally abused by people that they used to rely on as readers looking for info/reviews about the next game they should look into," what does that mean? When I first read it, it sounds horrifyingly like you're saying we can't criticize them, because they are "getting beaten down, treated like crap, and verbally abused." What would be an acceptable way to respond to these gamers, in your view?

I just don't see how to move forward with making gaming safer for everyone given what you've said. As far as it goes, it seems like we need to fix gaming journalism somehow, and then "just leave gamers alone." In other words, I'm not seeing how we're going to fix any problems by coming up with the proper condemnation of Zoe Quinn or corrupt publications and reviewers.

Marginalized gamers want some answers, too. Namely, when this whole scandal dies down, when and how can we return to the issue of how we feel battered by other gamers on a constant basis?

#10 Pret Allez, Sep 1, 2014
  11. Simple Thoughts

Well first off we should address the current issue first ( but I'm not against having both discussions at once )

The answer is simple: Gamers aren't afraid of an open dialog, but it has to actually be open. Most of us aren't the most socially graced, we say something either sarcastic or jokingly and it gets taken the wrong way. Don't use that as ammo to invalidate our points. If we say something offensive you don't have to turn that into justification for retaliation. Why not try something like, "I see your point, but what you said was really uncalled for. Could you please not say that?" <--- now if this language continues after a fair and reasonable request for it to end please by all means feel free to address that however you see best. I don't support assholes, but most of us are well intentioned and not the most socially graceful. We tend to understand when it's pointed out.

I think we should strive for a civil conversation, work things out like the adults most of us are.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, well, again, I'm addressing the issue that you raised, and I am participating in that in a meaningful way. In fact, I agreed with you on the major point raised. Are you feeling that I'm missing something, or is there something that you feel I have not acknowledged?

I have tried the approach you suggested multiple times with individual gamers when they behave this way towards me. It has been my almost universal experience--with only one exception, literally one--that when I ask people nicely to stop, they don't. They make their behavior even worse and incite others to join in.

13. Simple Thoughts

I meant that first part as an In general, not specifically isolated to this forum. My apologies there ^^"

I'm not surprised ever since Anita Sarkeesian came along anything that even hints at "feminism" has pretty much made Gamers feel like they need to be on the defensive.

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    First, I mean that I have applied the approach you mentioned in real time on game servers and on game forums. The approach has worked for me only once.

Second, I have never mentioned feminism any time I raise the issue of homophobic and sexist harrassment of gamers. Many gamers seem unwilling to discuss harrassment and tend to suggest that we're being "over-sensitive" and that we need to get over it.

15. Simple Thoughts

I see.

Okay I see what's going on here. You're dealing with the 'anti-censorship' gamers. The ones who don't like people coming onto their turf and telling them what they can and cannot say. You can think 'Video games cause violence' for that.

A lot of gamers play games to unwind, destress, and enjoy themselves without having to adhere to the strict standards society places on them. In video games they can be who they want, say what they want, and do as they please and that's where the appeal is. They tend not to like it when people suggest they shouldn't be saying something because they game to escape that sorta thing.

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, so then how do I deal with them? I have already acknowledged they have a right to say whatever they want. I have just asked that they refrain from verbally abusive behavior. They refuse to do that and even turn up the heat.

Why can't I unwind, destress and enjoy myself without having to endure the verbal abuse? I game to escape that.

17. Simple Thoughts

I'm not a psychologist/sociologist, if civil discourse doesn't work I'm not sure what to tell you honestly. ^^"

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :frowning2:

Alright. Time to return to our regularly scheduled program, I guess, since there's no solution to my problem...

I think one solution to the problem of pressures against reviewers honestly looking at their games could be if the fiduciary interest were somehow separated in the advertising revenue from particular interested parties. I think this could be accomplished through some kind of pooled income fund where publishers give X amount of money (roughly equally) between the most important publications, like PC Gamer, etc. That would prevent any particular publishing house from having major sway.

It's possible this may not happen without regulator intervention, but then again, the ESRB happened without regulator intervention.

19. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,

I'm not a gamer, but I have heard of some of the terrible things said especially to girls / women who join into predominantly male-dominated games, and I was just wondering: why are not all online comments logged, and then, if a particular member gets threatened or sexually harassed, all they need to do is contact the administrator, report who said what, and then admin can go and check the logs, verify it, and the offending member who made threats of rape or whatever can be banned from playing any longer. That would stop sexual and other harassment very quickly, would it not? I can't understand why this isn't already done, actually.

#19 Damien, Sep 1, 2014
  20. Simple Thoughts

That's an interesting thought. I can't claim to fully understand what you're getting out, but it seems like the idea is set up a system where no one publication or publisher has any more pull influence over another...yes?

---------- Post added 2nd Sep 2014 at 02:42 AM ----------

I don't know about most places, but I'm pretty sure Xbox live actually does have some type of policy like that. I know you can get banned from your account for certain things and I'm almost positive harrassment is one.