1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Street Fighter Afficandos

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Kai LD, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. LD579

It's interesting how I actually read an old article there was quite a lot to say on the original Street Fighter. And look how far fighting games as a genre has come...

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Street Fighter II, was the last one I played heavily. To be exact, the arcade version, and Street Fighter II Turbo for the Super Nintendo.

Chun Li was, easily, my best character. I knew so many tricks, which mostly revolved around, taking advantage of frame rates and animations, allowing me to sort of "glitch" combo my way to victory. This was why, if I ever played the arcade version, people demanded I could not be Chun Li.

Ryu is fun, too. I can hold my own with him, but I'm not as effective.

4. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm dying to know whether you have that characteristic swagger of a SF player that thinks he owns the cabinet. I live to make these players lose all them quarters. :lol:

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Well, considering I haven't heavily played since Street Fighter II, my skills would not be up to par. I never got into III, or IV, though I did, for about 2 minutes, play IV in Wal-Mart. It just wasn't enough to really learn anything, or get a feel for it.

That said, it's been about... man... a good 6 or 7 years, since I last picked up and played Street Fighter II.

However, back in the day, at my prime, I am 95% sure, I could have taken about anybody, in the arcade version. I leave that 5% open, because I know there are better people; that is just how life works. You may be good at something, but somebody else will be better. An idiot refuses to learn from defeat, while a professional embraces what cost them, and works to incorporate that weakness, to make them even greater.

6. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well maybe not then. My habit was to politely wait for the end of a full set, ask the player if they minded and then settle in until I finally lose to the AI and get bored. If other players came in, whistle whistle whistle thanks for the game. There is a good cabinet at an arcade bar in Portland. It has drawn douchebaggery of the fighting game type for miles around. Fortunately it has to be at or near highest difficulty because even I have trouble making it to Bison on one quarter.

I only have this kind of confidence because I regularly played against one of the best players I had ever known in my life, who is still one of my best friends. He pretty much had every option and every method down pat as Ken. You could not maintain distance or proximity if he didn't allow it, he had a near zero fail rate on special attacks and his timing approached mine for knowing exactly when to raise and lower defense and when to move and attack. He'd approach fireball you, sneak in the maximum distance fierce punch, uppercut-dragon punch, get on top and make you his bitch. This was a favored humiliation tactic if you were having an off day. It could get uglier. He was good is what I'm saying. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Your friend's play style is an awful lot like a few Ken players I knew. You're right, that could be annoyingly effective, but see, with Chun Li, I could put that strategy down. Of course, it relied on knowing the frame rates and animation, and using that to "glitch" people still, allowing me to continually beat them around.

People say it was cheap, and it is, in theory. But it isn't easy to pull off, even when you know what you're doing.

The moment he went for the fireball, on the arcade version, if you perform Chun Li's upside down spinning kick, at the right time, you can "glitch" through the fireball. The game registers this weird, and grants you invincibility, as if you were the fireball. It lasts until you make contact with the opponent, otherwise, you're invincible from long-range or special attacks... unless they physically hit.

No-Chun Li Rule. I'd probably get stomped, I'm not even going to attempt to boast on that.

8. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can't seem to find a clip online of the glitch. Trying to remember what it look like because I can remember it happening sometimes. I used to have a lot of trouble against Chun Li but the timing thing solved that for me... Would be very interesting to play a match. I don't have my AirFlo gamepad with me... Have you ever used the ZSNES multi functions?

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You would be very disappointed facing me.

No, I have not used the multi-functions. I did have the ZSNES emulator, though. However, I found anything beyond side-scrollers and RPGs, difficult to play, even on a controller.

I've not had the time to get reacquainted. To even get back to where I'd feel comfortable, I would need about two weeks. And even then, I'd be limited to the game's hardest difficult. But, I don't see anything wrong, with sparring. If that is possible. However, that is something left, for after you acquire Full Membership.

Out of curiosity, is the new Street Fighter worth a look?

10. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Er the last one I played was 4. Not sure if there is a newer one. I played loads of 3 but my and friends home play attentions shifted to stuff like SoulCalibur or co-op shooters for video games, most of the time.

4 was good? Feel like the formula that made the SF franchise work is watered down now though to make it "interesting" for "new players". Even the addition of "technical' defenses was neat but personally unwelcome.

11. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
  12. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    did anyone watch Street Fighters assassin's fist? it's a mini series on youtube and thought everyone should check it out haha, it's a pretty cool series, better then any live actions you've seen so far

13. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I lyke Street Fighter ^^ SF3 Third Strike is my favorite followed by SSF4 and Alpha series

That first one though, we dont talk about that one........