1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are The Majority Of Gamers Homophobic?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ZenMusic, Sep 1, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

Most people I've met jjust don't care, but would you say there are still a lot of people that do?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think only the XBL people who yell "fag" and stuff over the headset do it to act tough, even if they have shrill voices. It's likely that most gamers are a little more welcoming of non-straight people.

3. SeaSalt

No but we are competitive idiots some of which are very young and are obsessed with every match becoming a who knows the most swear words, Dick measuring competition.

4. Ryujin

Most of the people who I know through gaming are nice people who haven't had anything negative to say about it. That said, I tend to avoid Call of Duty games.

5. Vaettfang

No. Most of the people who say "fag" are 8 years old and want to act cool. Although it just makes them seem even more idiotic, they never learn. I'm a gamer and I'm bisexual, so I guess I'm part of the non-homophobic demographic. :slight_smile:

6. Formality

Well, from my experience a lot of young immature boys who play videogames are more homophobic/sexist/racist, probably because of the "competitive" environment. But in general I rarely see or hear anyone use homophobic slurs in any of the mmo's I play, and if they do I usually "take the battle".

7. White Knight

You meet immature players of any kind. Homophobic ones are just one type of them. The global channel spammers slur/hate about everything... from religions to other countries. It is only wasting your time if you try to correct them.

To me gaming community very accepting and kind to LGBT people. This is why I decided to come out of closet to my gaming buddies and every other gamer I've met since that day.

8. Hexagon

No. You just hear more from the ones who are.

9. Hel

Hel

Not really. I think it's just an easy to go for the homophobic/racist comment because you know somebody is going to get hurt/offended and maybe even start to argue with you. Witch is basically what loud trolls want: attention from everybody.

10. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep in mind the people making the rude comments in game are generally the most vocal. For every person like that there are many who are very nice. Some of it depends on what type of games you play as well. I tend to play non-competitive games, although I used to be in a high level raiding guild back in my MMO days. Now I stick with RPGs and only game online with people I know IRL.

11. CongoColorado

There are tons of immature boys who play video games, and most of these boys are indeed homophobic, but the teenagers usually aren't homophobic, just like to use words like fag or gay, which I really don't care about.

12. Bubble Bun

Bubble Bun Guest

I've never encountered a homophobic gamer before actually.

The only homophobic related thing you'll experience is probably someone who uses foul language during tricky levels, most likely babbling the first words that come to his/her/their mind. (I actual fall right underneath is category, but I don't use homophobic phrases, just a mountain of curse words, I have a horrible temper myself ((((*。_。)_)

But all gamers are different, some are homophobic, some are the complete opposite, but I wouldn't say majority are homophobic.

13. lukeluvznicki13

I wouldn't say the majority are. Gamers are quite passionate and when they lose etc they sometimes use foul language which involves fag etc.

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I would say that only a minority of gamers are sexist, racist pieces of shit. However, the gamer community does a spectacularly poor job of policing their own community. And in fact, they are very negative about any efforts to police their community. They even invented a term for this: "white knighting."

While sexist gamers are a minority, all LGBT and women gamers will at some point experience discrimination and hurtful remarks being directed at them. To varying degrees, this will make them feel unsafe. Then, when they take to the internet to point out it's a problem, they are being told they are being "political," "objectifying gamers," or trying to "censor" people.

15. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Maybe if you judge gamers by COD and other dude bros franchise' fanbase. The rest of the community mostly thinks they're dumb anyways

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As if intolerance for bad behavior is something to look down upon. It's more obvious when the "white knight" in question is defending somebody who either can't or won't do it themselves, but in the case of telling an obnoxious player to shut their face, nobody can really complain.

Especially because there's a mute function, and I use it liberally :grin:

17. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe they can't legitimately complain, but they do. And when they do, they call it "white knighting." I'm not claiming they use the term correctly; rather, I'm just elucidating something some gamers actually do, and frankly, it's embarrassing and why we're known for being anti-social and underdeveloped emotionally.

18. Gen

Gen

From experience, I would say that it depends on the genre of the games. I am not going to make sweeping generalizations, but there is no doubt that certain genres of games tend to garner more members from certain crowds, age groups, etc. What is common in a RPG or JRPG community is very different than what is common in a FPS gaming community.

19. SeaSalt

Candy Crush community is brutal

20. ShadowSpirit26

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wouldn't say most, but there are homophobic gamers and ones who use homophobic slurs just because they're idiots. I ran into a huge vile one before, and was friends with him before I found out he was like that. He seemed to have a lot of mental problems ranging from extreme anger when he couldn't get a trophy, to extreme homophobia, to just being an incredible idiot and a very poisonous person. Of course I wasn't aware of any of that when I first became friends with him. Me and him had a mutual friend however that he stopped being friends with because that friends is gay, and he kept bashing him, so I just deleted that homophobe. At the time I wasn't aware of my own sexuality, but the guy was really messed up, and I wasn't going to let him talk about my other friend that way who is still a good friend of mine or any other friend of mine, and especially not me that way.

Not everyone is like that though. I'm a gamer, and I'm gay. I even met a few people though PSN that are gay and became good friends with a few of them. I also met a lot of people who aren't gay, but are gamers, that don't seem to have any problem with it. Online, just as in offline, you are going to come across all types of people. Some will be idiots and/or poisonous, and others will be good, accepting, and intelligent, and not even see it as a big deal. I don't think gaming has anything to do with homophobia though. It's just when you meet someone, that person could be just about anything. Sometimes you'll run into one idiot, and sometimes you'll run into a large group of idiots. Sometimes you won't. I think finding the right people and becoming friends with the right people is worth all of it though, just like offline. All the people who are hateful towards you and other people due to their own ignorance and/or poison, aren't worth your time.