1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do I need to buy a computer?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Caillin, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Caillin

So I figure I need to get a computer for games mainly the sims series but theres not many good pre built PCs that arent outrageously expensive. I dont know much about building computers but my brother does so hes going to help me but what stuff do I need for it?

2. FreeFlow9917

Fuck. My brother is a 10 year old aficionado of created computers. Try using an alienware hard drive and gaming mouse and computer. The least expensive gaming computer is prob. around 700 bucks if you find it at the right website. Try looking on known gaming pc sites such as Razer or Alienware

Hope this helps

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sort of depends. Do you have someone to assemble it for you, or do you just want to find a custom one online?

Also, what is your price range?

4. Caillin

Oops I just realized I messed up on the title I mean build not buy.

---------- Post added 4th Sep 2014 at 08:21 PM ----------

I have my brother and dad to help assemble it and my brother has some parts on his old one he is not using, im not sure what parts he has though. Price range I don't really know like 500$-600$ at most.

5. FreeFlow9917

Oh dont buy the following: Dell, HP, Mac, or Samsung for gaming computers
    Try Toshiba, VAIO, or any major gaming computer

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Which Sims game, by the way? I'll just try to look at system requirements and figure it out from there. The most important part is GPU, followed by CPU, and then RAM.

7. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HP is actually pretty good, assuming we're sticking to more of their newer models. Not sure about the Sony Vaio, but I'm sure lots of other Sonys are good. If you REALLY can, go with Asus. Those are nice heavy-duty ones that aren't Alienware (aka fancy Dell)

8. Caillin

Sims 4, if I can run sims 4 ill still be able to run sims 3 on that computer.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Assuming that the Sims devs aren't lying POSs, this piece of hardware should be fine. And it's a good price too. I have actually used one. Admittedly four years ago, but I mean, I could play Starcraft II and Diablo 3 on it just fine.

10. Caillin

Hm ill keep that one in mind Pret thanks :slight_smile:

11. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Sims series was always very demanding of hard disk drive, by the way, and I bet TS 4 would end up that way too after a few expansions.

12. WannaBeMe

Um... I don't know I'm dead broke and have never built a computer, but my advice just load it down with RAM and storage. And make sure it has a decent fan cooling it off and you should be fine.

13. Webman777

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Building computers is actually pretty darn easy once you know what parts will match up together. Most of it is made to fit into specific places so it's hard to mess it up. Like a power connector will not fit into a socket it wasn't meant for. If you spend a few weeks researching it on Google and a few days watching YouTube videos on "how to build a computer" then you'll probably know enough to actually take on the task yourself. In my opinion, it's important for people in this era to understand how a computer works and all the parts that go into it anyway. I just recently built a budget gaming PC for a friend for about $600 and according to him, it blows through most games he plays on medium to high settings.

14. shinji

shinji Guest

Let's begin.

Computer case - you can cheap out on this big time, should support atx boards.

PSU (power supply) - DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON THIS, Corsair, Cooler Master, Enermax (look for 80 gold or 80 plat), wattage should be around 750~850+

Motherboard - ASUS, Gigabyte, or... cheap out with ASRock, don't go for "gaming" as those are with ridiculous price to performance ratios. Make sure it has the same socket like the processor.

Processor - Intel, don't cheap out with AMD, trust me! i5 if you want cheap i7 if you want fast at a negative cost to performance ratio.

RAM - cheap out with simple Corsair singles, go big with paired dominator pack but you won't notice much difference, apart from money.

SSD/HDD - cheap way is to go with an Western Digital or Seagate HDD with at least 7200rpm and 64mb cache but seeing as how cheap SSD's are getting, if you aren't hard pressed for space, i'd go with an SSD - Kingstons are cheap, Corsair, Intel are not. OCZ i would avoid as they require a bit of "tinkering" to work right, but once you "fix" them they are better than even Intel. Samsung is also an option.

Graphics card - the cheapest one with GDDR5, 256bit memory you can get. Doesn't matter AMD or NVIDIA but in general AMD is cheaper.

Don't waste money for a cd writer, usb dongles, card reads, bluetooth hubs, special fans, water coolers and all that stuff...

After saying all this, i'd personally wait for the X99 chipset and new Intel processors and DDR4 memory to fully come out and actually get cheaper, and get that. Right now, is not a good tiem to be buying a new PC.

On a side note... Pre-built PC's are often too expensive and they usually screw you on the "hidden" components such as PSU, Motherboard, Memory, etc...

edit: Dear "Webman777", why did we nekro this old thread? ^-^

#14 shinji, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  15. Webman777

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We did? The last post was back on September 15th though. I didn't know it was considered dead. You offered some good input in your reply though!

16. Candace

Pick out a price range, which you've done, and research computer brands and models based on your needs. Also, check for tax free days (maybe they have them in your neck of the woods?). You can get the computer for a little bit cheaper on those days and if you look for deals. That's how I got the laptop which I'm using to type this message right now in fact :slight_smile: