1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on laptops

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by lukeluvznicki13, Sep 5, 2014.

?

What type of Laptop Should I get

1. Windows laptop

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Macbook

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Other (specify in comments)

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. lukeluvznicki13

Hi all :slight_smile:

I am going to start saving up for a laptop because I'll definitely need a better one once I go off to college/university.

I wanted to know what you think would be best for me to get?

Thanks

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What are you planning on using it for? That's the main question. The other main question is how much money you're planning on spending, at the maximum?

3. lukeluvznicki13

It will be mainly for studies & projects unless I play an odd game of the sims :icon_redf :icon_bigg

My maximum price would probably be around $800

4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Did you have a look at ebay ?
    There are even shops who offer a warranty...
    I personally just prefer non glare displays with 4:3 format... nice to read and write on...

the kind of laptop also depends on the software you want to use... win... mac... linux...
    do you possibly have some kind of recommendation from the school ?

#4 jay777, Sep 5, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  5. Hel

Hel

You could also use a Linux distribution (Ubuntu, Debian...) That would allow you to spend less money on the computer if you find one without any OS. It's not complicated if you just want to use it for college related stuff.

When it comes to Mac, most of the tests I read were saying the same thing: you buy a famous brand (so high prices doesn't mean good quality).

6. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, what area of study are you looking at? Your choice may be very different if you are going to be studying engineering vs business vs arts...

7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've only had mac laptops, so I'm biased toward them, but I know there are multiple good PCs. Getting Linux is fine if you're interested in a more hands-on approach or going into computer science, but it can be a real pain if you will need to install software that don't have Linux versions.

I agree that you should think about what major(s) you are interested in. Some majors might require good graphics card capabilities for the software they're using, but others are less selective. Many departments will list minimum requirements and even example computers on their websites. Finally, there are usually a lot of discounts for college students (and sometimes high school students), so look for them before buying anything.

8. IMO Windows is better, you can game and work.

9. Mysz

I'd suggest Windows. All operating systems have their problems, and Windows also has its fair share (damn you, unnecessary Windows 8 update) but Windows has the most support available and is a popular system, if not a free one. Linux is a popular free one, but like Resu said, there might not be Linux versions of certain programs, and running a PC game (and getting help with problems for it) will be easiest with a Windows system.

I got a discount at the local Best Buy for basic Windows programs like Word, Powerpoint etc. when I starting my first year in college, because I was a student.
    That being said, if you're already in Middle Earth as your description says, I wouldn't leave it for the world no mattter what kind of operating system you have! :slight_smile: Just some advice.

10. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With a budget of 800, a macbook, unless bought used, is not a option. Windows seems like the best option for you. You can get a decent laptop for 600ish dollars

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A PC is your best bet, then. As has been said before (and through my personal experience), macs aren't very good with playing games. You can play games on them, yes, but not big ones without lag.

12. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really have much to add, except to agree with what everyone's said so far.

Just keep in mind that college/university programs do have computer requirements. But you can cross that bridge when you reach it.

13. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Other.
    I'm going to give you a very general answer:
    The laptop that best fits your needs + budget.
    If that turns out to be a Mac (though I doubt that due to price differences) get a Mac.
    But most likely it will turn out to be a laptop of a third brand, with Windows.

14. lukeluvznicki13

Thanks for letting me know.

I will get in touch with them if they need us to have a specific type of laptop/computer etc.

I'm going to study law and politics.

15. 741852963

Agreed with that budget a laptop would be more suited.

In the UK, even the tiniest 13" macbook pro at the lowest specifications will set you back over $1450 equivalent! I'm guessing they are much cheaper in America, but so too are laptops surely. For $800 you could get a pretty nice laptop over there.

16. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would suspect with Law and Politics, you're not going to need a very powerful machine. You're probably going to need the same things as most any other major - an office suite and internet access. If you are on a budget, a low end laptop should be sufficient. I might even suggest something like a Surface with a keyboard cover.