1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Issue

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Jonathan, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Jonathan

Last week we had a storm here that caused a power surge which broke the modem and router at my house. Naturally, a few days later we got new ones and reconnected all the computers to them. However, since then I've noticed that the internet on mine as been running extremely slow. I ran a diagnostics test and it came back saying "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding." Not being the most technologically savvy person myself, I was wondering if the fine folks of EC have any idea what that means and what I can do to fix it.

Thanks in advance for any help :slight_smile:

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There seems to be a dns problem.
    Your computer might get the dns and other configurations automatically from your router.
    You might check if that is the case or if there is a static dns entered which does not work.

You might check the configuration of your router concerning dns. Which one does it use, is there a dns server available, is there a dns server recommended by your provider ?

You might think about multiple plug connectors with built in power surge protection. They are fairly inexpensive.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I use the OpenDNS name servers, and here's how you can configure them. Go to the Network and Sharing Center, click on the "Local Area Connection" link (or whatever your connection is called, then click properties, and find the rest of the screens you see below. Enter the IP addresses for OpenDNS seen below.
    [​IMG]

Imgur Deletion Link: http://imgur.com/delete/BvvohqWs9k4avqv

#3 Pret Allez, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  4. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    @ PretAllez
    Would it not be advantageous to configure the router for dns ?

If there are multiple clients in the building every single client had to be manually configured for dns otherwise...

the standard is automatic configuration for clients... and configuration of the router...

5. Jonathan

I actually did something similar to that a few days ago (followed this video) and it didn't seem to have any effect really.

6. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The standard configuration is to set the dns in the router and have your computer set to pick up dns automatically. You might have a look at the manual of your router.
    This is just an example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbTz92YrT9E

For the IP adresses of dns servers (the actual numbers), you might look at the manual of your isp or consider OpenDNS like PretAllez suggested.

You additionally might do this on your computer:
    - go to run>cmd>type ipconfig /flushdns

its your risk and responsibility what you do, all changes at your own risk.

#6 jay777, Sep 15, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  7. WannaBeMe

Try restting the router if that doesn't help you either may need a new router or you can try to contact your internet provider.

8. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try unplugging the router and modem for thirty seconds. Then plug in modem first wait 15 seconds than plug in router then see it if works.