1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a PS2!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Randomcloud, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Randomcloud

Because, well, they're only like 50 bucks now and I was never allowed to have one as a child so...why not. I'm still a kid at heart haha. Anyway, I'm getting Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex and Ico because I've played them before and love 'em.

Wondering if anyone knows some other cool games to play? Or is the console so archaic that nobody even bothers/remembers xP

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

My PlayStation 2 still works, and I have had it since, around, 2002-2003. Right now, it serves as a sort of back up DVD player, but I was playing games on it.

I suppose, before any game suggestions can be made, knowing the types of games you like, or have played and enjoyed, would be most beneficial.

I'd say the PS2 ranks in my Top 5 consoles, along with the Nintendo 64 and the Super Nintendo.

3. WannaBeMe

Well according to the previous games you stated you might like the game Vex its pretty cool.

4. Fruit Topping

Good. Going with the classics. Jak and Daxter is a great game on PS2

5. AsheTheHuman

You said Ico, so I'll throw in Shadow of the COLLOSUS as well. Utterly fantastic it is, and has quite the interesting connection to Ico. I'd recommend Ratchet and Clank over Jak and Daxter. I found J&D 2 and 3 aged rather poorly. Tried WAY too hard to be current and cool. Poorly controlling vehicles, needlessly big and boring hub worlds, boring side missions, and sometimes infuriating difficulty spikes. I'd honestly just recommend getting the first one and watching the rest of the series cutscenes on YouTube. There's fun to be had with them, but IMO, it's not worth wading through all the crap to get to the good parts. But I digress. The entire Metal Gear Solid series is fantastic. You should be able to pick up the original PS1 game, or head straight into 2 or 3. 3 is a prequel to even the original Metal Gear, and 2 has some (light) in-game reading you can do to catch up to that point. The Sly Cooper franchise is great as well. If starts off very similar to Crash Bandicoot with a stealth theme, but becomes more of a Spyro like game with moderate stealth elements as the series goes on. If you're into classic side scrollers, I'd also highly recommend checking out the Sonic and Mega Man collections. SpongeBob Square Pants: Battle for Bikini Bottom and The Movie are surprisingly great 3D platformers that are kind of a mix between Ratchet and Clank and Mario 64. The writing is just as good as the show sometimes too, even if the original voice actors aren't always present.

6. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Need for Speed Most Wanted is amazing. If you are interested in racing games at all I highly recommend it

7. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

What kinda genres/games do you like, and did you have PS3 with classic/trilogy collections or nah? PS2 is an amazing system.

8. PaganPoetry

get destroy all humans 1 and 2 (its about an alien who like kills and stuff), mortal kombat Armageddon is the best fighiting game for the ps2 imo, any ratchet and clank games are really good too

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Depends on what games you like. I enjoy JRPG's so I loved the Tales of games, Star Ocean 3, Xenosaga, etc. There's Kingdom Hearts, there's some Spyro games that are fun too.

10. Randomcloud

Thanks guys!!

I've never had any video game console apart from a GameBoy Color and Nintendo DS Lite haha. So I've played a lot of Zelda and Pokemon on those..

I think I could enjoy pretty much any genre except maybe 1st person shooter games. I guess I really like games with a nature/fantasy setting...vague I know

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You might like:

Wild ARMs 4. It's set on a world, where the planet is dying, and what remains of it's energy, is being fought over by various people. You play as four individuals, in turn-based combat, in a unique style. Common themes are: growing up, sacrifice, truth and lies, the inevitability of destruction/death, hope to continue going on, and never giving up. It's not incredibly difficult, like the past sequels, but it has it's own puzzle-solving moments.

Kingdom Hearts. It's Final Fantasy meets Disney. It is definitely worth playing, at least once. I didn't think I'd like it, when I first played it, but it wound up surprising me. I don't want to say too much more, because it might kill the engaging experience. It also has it's own share of puzzle-solving, but it's more or less, run from Point A to Point B, while battling various opposition.

Both of those games have a 3rd person view, with RPG elements. They both have some great music, nice styles, and definitely leave an impression.

12. lukeluvznicki13

You can play DVDs on PS2s? o.o

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Yes. As well as CDs. They just have to be actual CDs/DVDs, and not "burned" ones. Though, some of the newer models, can play burned CDs.

14. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    dont worry they stopped making games for it just last year you have a very big library to explore its not really ancient so many modern games had ports to it with exclusive dlc also
    as far as i remember for fantasy
    there is the final fantasy series if you like RPG
    Rez is a pretty cool game too
    if you like girls in action try out tomb raider the ps2 has the whole series except for that 2013 last game
    if you want horror there is resident evil and silent hell
    oh and i saw you played ico?
    well shadow of the colossus is something you really need to buy first if you like games like these ^__^ i loved the game and planning to buy ico too whenever i have more time to play

15. Stripe101

16. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Ico is an incredible game. Probably the best JRPG of all time. Speaking of Ico, imagine you've heard of Shadow of the Colossus, which is another one I'd highly recommend. Kingdom Hearts is another series, also Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, and Persona 4. Final Fantasy X/X-2, too. And, not sure if anyone has mentioned it or not, but Okami is brilliant.

Also, not sure if you're into or would be up for any horror, but if so, check out the Silent Hill series, especially SH2/SH3. Amazing graphics for its time, and an incredibly creepy atmosphere, and there's quite a bit of replay value. Granted, you manage to endure it enough to finish it the first time around :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'll probably end of thinking of more later, but for now, these recommendations will do.

17. Randomcloud

I'm writing all these down! :slight_smile: I've heard good things about Kingdom Hearts, I might start with that!

I love the horror genre- I'm assuming the Silent Hill game is more entertaining than the movie?

18. Feijoa

Abe's Oddysee is a great game on the PS2. It's the first of the Oddworlde trilogy, and is a really good laugh for the game mechanics alone..

And Silent Hill is way better than the movie. Should explore the Resident Evil series too, and see if you can find Fatal Frame - that was a great game, very atmospheric

Also one of my all time favs for PS2 is Primal. Loved it for the concept and the protags.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primal_(video_game)

19. Basic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Great choice. If you don't care, go for the slim model. Way more reliable. A classic now, a juggernaut then. Someone mentioned RE, Fatal Frame and Silent Hill. All great series. If survival horror is you deal. (Which it is for me) Also buy a Game Cube. The Resident Evil Remake so amazing. Worth it alone.

20. shinji

shinji Guest

Get a white one. Also... PS2, i'd personally get only for Kingdom Hearts and FF games. Otherwise, just invest in something better, PC master race etc... FFXIII is coming to Steam by the way.