1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talk about old school

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by lb41974, Sep 22, 2014.

1. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am dating my self but oh well rofl , does anybody here remember pong that was my first system we had an atari 2600 later , river raid and combat and quebert were my fav games for the atari

(!):lol:frowning2:!)

2. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

used to take the oxen out at ye eh five in the morn gon castrate to toil the field he, whip he shoe on n turn ye soil he but aw then ye machine caught up to he bullock now i waitin to die

3. AsheTheHuman

I'm a huge fan of Missile Command, personally. Really powerful and deep game, especially considering it's on the Atari 2600. The futility, the death, the destruction of war- all incapsulated in a game from 1980. And the interview that the creator did? Absolutely chilling. While working on the game, and for years after, he'd have nightmares about nuclear strikes in his hometown. He'd always imagined the bases you're supposed to protect in the game were his hometown and surrounding cities in California. Perfect evidence that video games are - and always have been - capable of being more than just fancy toys.

4. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Still remember River Raid as the first videogame I ever played (Although I think it was a C64 port.) I was still a pre-school kid back then and didn't know a word of English so I always ran out of fuel because I didn't know you weren't supposed to shoot fuel ships :grin: It was still fun.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I learned BASIC on a Vic20...it would store the program on a cassette tape, so, of course I remember Pong! :grin:

6. Ryujin

Back in my day we used to hunt our own food, none of this 'farming' malarkey!

7. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    a friend of mine had a commadore 64 I never got to play it tho :frowning2: he was stingy rofl I forgot about DONKY KONG it was the bomb !!

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, in 1977 I created computer programs on cards, where I pencilled in the code by filling in little boxes. This created a stack of cards that became the program which was read on a terminal the size of an office desk and which was connected via telephone wire to the McGill VAX computer.

Yes, I am that old...

9. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I bow to the master you win rofl

10. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I know Pong, Commodore 64, and Atari 2600, but that's because I'm a bit of a geek, and kinda fascinated with old systems.

Anyone know the Vectrex system? Haha

11. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    never heard of a Vectex :frowning2: sorry

12. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

I didn't have one, but I remember the Vectrex. :slight_smile: Self-contained vector-graphics screen, I don't think there were many games for it.

I still have my 2600, and a bunch of carts for it. Ashe, I agree about Missile Command. It's so stark, it's always affected me.

13. WannaBeMe

Is that so? Cuz it seems that your day is now:roflmao:

14. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Ah say, ah say

15. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

Gather 'round Youngins', I got a story. It was Nineteen-dickety Six. We had to say dickety because Gorbachev stole our word "eighty". I was on my way to the software store, where I secured a copy of Archon, for the Commodore 64. Of course, we had the Commodore 128, which was better even though we had literally no software for it, but it had the C64 processor in it, as well. Or an onion, or something. It was a while ago. Anyway, we loaded Archon in that new-fangled floppy drive, which was a vast improvement over tape cassette drive. See, the floppy could load a game in no longer than it would take to code the game yourself, whilst of course the tape drive took an actual, literal geologic age to load something. Anyhoo, hours later, you could play awesome battle chess with fantasy characters, that would fight for the board spaces, under your control.

Those were the days. xD I loved that thing.

16. lb41974

lb41974 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    thats awesome starfleet

17. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

:lol: I loved that Commodore. So many great, classic games. PHM Pegasus, Acrojet, Archon, Chessmaster, Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer, Airborne Ranger. Many more.

18. June Cleaver

I remember the stand up arcade pong machine. futuristic looks! one can be seen in the movie Soilent Green in the dead diplomat's apartment. I haven't seen one since the late 1970's as they were extremely rare even then. Space invaders was next. June

19. Starfleet

Starfleet Guest

June, do you remember the sit-down Pong? I think it was built for bars. :slight_smile: