1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any audiophiles here?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Celatus, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I happen to be very picky about my music and headphones. Over ear cans are by far the best in terms of soundstage, I have sennheiser momentums and akg k550s that go very well with my FiiO E07K Andes portable DAC/amp. I also tend to have a general rule of at least 320kbps mp3s because FLAC and WAV files are just too huge in memory size. I listen to all kinds of music off cd's and soundcloud too. Any audiophiles here?

2. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm also into high-quality sound. If you think lossless FLAC yields too big of files ... I like my music in 5.1 surround sound, lossless of course! My CD rips are FLAC lossless for playback on my sound system, and another copy in 320Kbps MP3 for mobile listening.

I built up the traditional speakers-and-amp hi-fi setup, so haven't yet gotten into head-fi as much. I have a pair of higher-end Audio-Technica headphones (AD900), but kind of wish I'd gotten the HiFiMan HE-400 (planar-magnetic phones). Or maybe they need a good headphone amp to show me what they can do. I don't yet have a headphone amp, as a good one can cost as much as an amp for driving speakers!

#2 piano71, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  3. Yosia

If they play music at decent quality then they're cool.

4. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

I wouldn't call myself one. I mean I appreciate high quality sound and whatnot, and hifi records by the likes of Steely Dan or Pink Floyd or Talk Talk, but show me someone who claims they can hear enough of a difference between a $10,000 and a $100,000 stereo system to warrant the extra expense and I'll show you a wino who waxes poetic about the virtues of an expensive-looking bottle secretly filled with boxed wine. Ultra-hot flattened clipped mastering jobs and lower bit rate mp3s grate on me after a while, but I can live with 192kbps if that's what I've got. Not gonna put that on the stereo for focused listening, but it'll work for the car or in bed through headphones

#4 Miles16, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. WannaBeMe

I don't care about the file or really the headphones(not too much anyways). They just need to block out the sound of my family. In which case they need to be pretty loud.

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Raises hand! And I also collect records.

I very much like good audio equipment. I have a pair of Grado 225 headphones that I use with a Carver preamp, and a Marantz CD player, set up on my nightstand. I don't care for mp3s or most computer music files...they sound hot, harsh, clipped and compressed or else muffled, muddled and muted. If I was dictator, I'd BAN all such files :slight_smile:

All in all I prefer vinyl, and use a Music Hall turntable, Grado Gold Cartridge, Carver TFM-45 Amp, an old Hafler preamp, and a pair of Magaplanar speakers (which sound great, for as old as they are), I have a pair of Klipsch KG3s as back-ups, when they were still made in Hope, Arkansas. I use Audioquest cables...nothing too fancy, but a step up from the basic cheap 'ol wire. I'd love to upgrade and add on, though $ has been way too tight.

But I love decent audio, and it's kinda sad, how lousy a lot of the stuff coming out is, all in all. Maybe OK for in the car with the windows down, or waling around, but for a relaxing night at home or a party, nope!

#6 HuskyPup, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  7. Candace

To an extent. I'm really picky about headphones, since I need them to be comfortable for my ears (and because I have thick rimmed glasses) along with ensuring that they won't bend and cause me to only hear sound out of one side or nothing altogether.

8. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am really into video game music, hoarding any music I get through steam etc.

not so picky with headphones though.

9. duende84

Audiophile here!

I have a set of Sennheiser HD380pro phones that I love. Running the off a home-brewed headphone amp.

The main system consists of:
    Linn Mimik CD player & Sony XA333ES SACD player
    Valve Audio Excalme 100 amplifier
    Sony SS7300 speakers
    Thorens TD165 turntable
    Cambridge P651 phonostage

I am a DSOTM fanatic. Beatles rule. Love smooth female jazz.

Also recently got my BF into doing the audiophile thing and he is very enthusiastic.

---------- Post added 28th Sep 2014 at 10:04 AM ----------

Very very nice system! You certainly qualify as an audiophile. :icon_wink

10. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like my SteelSeries gaming headset for all sound and my boyfriend swears by the apple iPhone headphones, so no audiophiles here. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    My dad, however, is a nut about it. All very interesting.

11. RedFireFly

I don't use my headphones at home. I only use them if I'm walking, traveling etc. (They're broken now though)
    I sometimes use a speaker.

12. Alisa Arwen

Wish I had the money for a set of Bose headphones.

13. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not really a true audiophile, but I do care about audio quality more than most people I know.

I would never dream of using earbuds, I have a pair of expensive Sennheiser headphones, I use a DAC to listen to music through my computer, and I only rip CDs into lossless files. I have thousands of classical tracks, all lossless. It really does sound better than compressed music :slight_smile:

14. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a pseudoaudiophile. I've read enough research to learn that many times our ears can't really tell as much differences as we think, but I do want to enjoy good music. I splurged on a Bowers and Wilkins earbuds, which I like a lot.

15. 101DeadRoses

I'm pretty picky about headphones. They HAVE to be huge, HAVE to pick up the drums, and HAVE to pick up the little undertones that can completely change the tone of any song.

16. kem

kem

I did like my Grado SR80i's

until I LOST THEM (like how where what HOW)

I kind of am, kind of am not. I like to have the best quality possible, but I can't hear any difference between iTunes Plus 256 AAC and an ALAC so I go with the former. I don't have a lot of lossless files left due to shifting to iTunes Match and Spotify. I like vinyl and I wish I had the money to buy a decent record player.

Maybe it's because it's Apple's codec, headphones and device, or the discomfort I feel when listening with in-ear pods or closed can, but I actually prefer the open sound of Apple EarPods to the unbelievably disappointing Sennheiser HD 201 headphones that I got a little while back.