1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fellow PC gamers please help!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Rainbows~Exist, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Rainbows~Exist

I need find a motherboard that can support and AMD processor and an Nvidia graphics card at the same time (if there are any).

At the moment I have an AMD A8 6600k quad core 4GHz processor and this christmas I'm likely to get an Nvidia Geforce gtx 970 graphics card.

My motherboard only supports AMD graphics cards so if you know of any motherboards that can support both of what I require please let me know (price isn't an issue).

Thanks.

2. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What motherboard do you have? A motherboard only supporting AMD graphics cards sounds fishy. Do you mean you have no open PCI-E slot and you're just using your APU (the A8 6600k) at the moment?

3. FrenchKid98

I've never built a computer with AMD CPU or GPU or any mixing (I've only built with Intel and nvidia) but from what I read online, there seems to be generally no problem with mixing AMD CPUs and NVIDIA GPUs.
    I haven't seen any specifics about AMD GPU only motherboards so maybe google your specific motherboard to see if anyone has built a config with it and NVIDIA GPU. If it really is not supported then there must be some compatible ones but from my research I haven't seen any specific info on websites like newegg and such.

I think the easiest way to make sure it would work is to either contact the seller website and ask or google the motherboard model you are interested in and see if anyone has built a config with it and a NVIDIA GPU.

Or maybe you'll be lucky and someone on EC will have had a similar thing and has an answer

Good luck :slight_smile:

Edit: Added something in my next post, because I had forgotten that I actually did build a HTPC with an AMD APU (FM2 socket as well I think actually). (Wow I only built 3 computers and already forgot about 1...)

#3 FrenchKid98, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  4. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've built several of all different combinations and I've never heard of such a thing, but then again I've never actually built one based on the FM2 socket. I still think it would be stupid of AMD to deliberately make the BIOS reject non-AMD cards (which is the only way to do it), especially for their APU motherboards. I also think this could be in violation of antitrust laws.

I think OP is confused because their CPU also has an integrated graphics card (hence APU, or "advanced processing unit"), which obviously can't be switched and their motherboard probably doesn't have a PCI-E expansion slot.

Edit:

Unless I was wrong with the above, obviously any socket FM2 or FM2+ motherboard will do. Just pick one that is in your price range and supports your current RAM.

That's a sweet graphics card you're getting, your CPU will be the bottleneck if you encounter lag in games now provided your RAM is decent. If and when you decide to upgrade your computer again in the future, you need to change your motherboard again (because I'd advise staying away from APUs) as well as your CPU. Take that into account when you're buying your motherboard.

#4 HappyGirlLucky, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  5. FrenchKid98

Like my edit in my previous post says, I had forgotten I built a HTPC (Home Theater PC or Personal Computer) with an AMD APU (socket FM2 as well I think). But I don't remember if I had an expansion slot on the motherboard (I think so but I'm not sure).
    Anyway I only need the APU and no "stand alone" GPU for my usage, it's actually kinda overkill already...

Getting off topic here so I'll stop :lol:

But yeah I also doubt that they could legally make motherboards reject non AMD GPUs but you never know...

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What board is it? I call bs. I built an AMD/NVidia machine. It's not an AMD/ATI vs Intel/NVidia world.

7. Webman777

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think I have ever seen a motherboard which supports just one GPU manufacturer...

8. Rainbows~Exist

My motherboard's an MSI FM2-A55M-E35 uATX and recommends AMD gpu's rather than Nvidia. I just don't want a decrease in performance or any problems if I use a Nvidia card.

9. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like you said, they suggest AMD GPUs but nVidia cards are definitely supported. With that graphics card and your current CPU, you're not going to get maximum performance out of the card on any motherboard. I would suggest getting a new CPU and motherboard together as your next upgrade, as buying a new motherboard would do nothing at the moment. I am assuming you will be using your system to play modern PC games because of the title of your thread.

If you'll be using your graphics card for other things that are very GPU intensive but don't require much from the CPU (bitcoin mining, or other GPU-based calculations), you might want a new motherboard. The reason it doesn't matter for gaming is that your CPU will be too busy with everything going on in the game to help your GPU run at maximum performance right now.

10. DigitalHusky

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would look for a motherboard that has a AM3 or AM3+ so you can upgrade in the future for 8 core CPU.

My recommendations are this:

MSI 970 A-G43
    ASRock FATAL1TY 990FX
    ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX

If you look at Google Im sure you can find great AM3+ motherboards!

11. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait, I was not aware you could fit FM2 APUs on AM3+ motherboards? I have to admit I've never built anything using socket FM2 or FM2+ so maybe it's possible! If it is, that would definitely be an ideal solution for OP. I need to do some more Googling to figure this out. The motherboards listed by DigitalHusky are all really good suggestions if this is possible!

12. shinji

shinji Guest

First things first... AMD sucks!

Now as for the board, the board sucks.

This "recommended blah blah blah" is just marketing material, it either works or it does not, it's as simple as that.

I would personally invest in an Intel motherboard and processor, instead of wasting money on a new graphics card, because at this point, your processor will be bottlenecking the system to oblivion. If you are after all looking to play some serious games.

Don't forget, Intel CPU's do have a graphics processor in them, last time i read, they were able to run BF3 with reasonable framerates.

13. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Right, I was trying not to go all Intel fan-girl on OP, but I agree. Intel beats AMD, especially when it comes to gaming so when you upgrade and if you've got the money; go for Intel. You'll be happy you did.

I did some Googling and could not find anything indicating socket FM2 and AM3/AM3+ are interoperable or that your CPU could work with a socket AM3 motherboard. In fact, Googling images of FM2 sockets and AM3 sockets it would seem the pins would not fit. So I don't think that is a possibility.

14. JessicaWolfess

I don't think there are motherboards that are exclusively amd, or exclusively intel/nvidia. Basically get a motherboard that has the same slot as your cpu (am3 1150 etc) and from a known brad like gigabyte, asus and msi. Also keep the size of the board and the size of your case in mind