1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by An Gentleman, Sep 30, 2014.

1. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    #1 An Gentleman, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  2. Webman777

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hope it's as large of a step forward as they are trying to insinuate by skipping over version 9 all together. Windows 8 aggravated most of Microsoft's user base (mostly on desktop environments) and they sure do need to do something big in order to bring it back.

3. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It looks pretty interesting to me--I like the inclusion of what looks like something reminiscent of the Start Menu. The removal of the original Start Menu is what irked me most about Windows 8.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If history is any guide, this will be a very good release. Every other major release seems to be complete shit, and Windows 8 was complete shit. Therefore this will get good like Windows 7 was.

5. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This, unless Windows 9 was the good one they skipped and decided to do 2 bad ones in a row. :grin: Oh, and multiple desktops, how innovative of Microsoft! It's not like it's been available in Linux for at least 15 years already or anything. :eusa_clap

6. Webman777

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ha! XD

7. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally believe it will flop. The welcome bar looks horrible to me, and for the love of god, stop pushing mobile app-like tiles onto PC. If I wanted a PC with a tile-based OS that confused where everything is, including computer/program files (the worst part about windows 8, too), I'd get a mac.

However, The Windows Rule perseveres by their own inept approach to their customers. By rushing windows up TWO NUMBERS ZOMFG, they have inadvertently preserved the rule, by not releasing windows 9. Or, so we can speculate.

I'm not looking forward to it. Just release windows 7 with more features that an everyday user can appreciate, with a minor tweak to graphics, and more accessible and simpler customisation options. And just cut the store and tiles. No-one liked the tiles, stop shovelling it down our throat. You're not going to make tiles happen.
    Also who the hell do you think you are, an App Store? Let us decide what we want to buy, and go to online curated lists if we really want to. Don't make a windows store. That's insanity.

8. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem is that Microsoft is trying to create "one system" for a variety of different hardware: phones, tablets, laptops, touch-screen laptops, and desktops.

But these are all different devices. Apple recognizes this and that's why the desktop version of OS X is quite different from the mobile iOS. But Microsoft seems to think the best idea is to have one system for all the devices, mobile or not. It's silly.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They may think the "average" pc user wants to jab at the screen with a finger, but it isn't me.

10. flatlander48

Looks like an iOS knock-off...

11. MisterTinkles

Windows 7 sucks.

Windows 8 was made for hi-tech guru's, because I cant find ANYTHING on this goddamned computer, and NOTHING is the same. SOOOO many usefull things have been removed, and it is EXTREMELY difficult to maneuver around in! You HAVE to be a hi-tech guru to even be able to figure out where the fuck anything is!!!!

Windows 10 was supposed to be an updated Windows 7, but all it looks like is they just meshed 7 and 8 together. Still nothing but CRAP.

XP was the BEST they ever had...........so far.
    Easy maneuverability, you could find stuff, it was not too difficult to figure things out, and you had a lot of personal choice stuff that was taken out in 7 and 8.

12. Holly82

After using Windows 8 for a year now, I like it more than Windows 7. It's the most stable version of Windows and it's much faster loading up and getting around. Yes, it took a bit of time to get used to, but now I'm fine with it. On boot up, I just default view to the desktop. I never mess with the tiles. I do miss the Start menu, though. Taking that out was definitely a bad choice.

13. Kizz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, what?

You got used to it, and like it more than 7, by bypassing the major new "features", essentially reverting it to a clumsy windows 7?

Is it just me who saw this, and had to do a double-take? How can this even?

14. Holly82

The changes in Win 8 under the hood are worth it to me. My home computer is Win 8, my computer at work is Win 7. I like 8 better. It's faster (no not just my computer), it's better than Win 7 and I don't find it to be clunky. I'm certainly not a "power user" or anything. Just a typical user. It isn't perfect, but I really don't understand why everyone got their panties in a bunch when it came out.

15. gaynerd64

I am so glad I bought a Mac.

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like 8 more than 7 because it starts up in a tiny fraction of the time. I've done the same default to desktop thing, but the rest of it is pretty decent. It was certainly the boot time that sold me on it though.

17. Q-Tip

Play any cool games lately? :3

---------- Post added 1st Oct 2014 at 06:24 PM ----------

On the subject of this, meh. Windows 8 was terrible for gaming, if this goes back to what windows 7 was great. But in the end I will just stick with 7 for now.

18. Webman777

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It is true that I prefer Windows 8.1 to Windows 7. Windows 8.1 just seems to run so much smoother on my hardware. However, I did have to do some tweaking since I hate the default layout of Windows 8.1. I slapped Start8 on there and a few other modifications and now it operates just like Windows 7, just faster. I wish I didn't have to modify it like that though, I wish it had just come like this. Hopefully Windows 10 will be better but I won't be able to develop an opinion on it until more information is released about it and I can possibly get my hands on a preview.

I wish Linux were a top contender in the OS war, but I don't think that could ever happen with how terminal dependant it is. The Ubuntu software center was a great step forward, but it's still too dependant on the terminal commands for installing programs which are not in the software center yet. It's just too much of a hassle for the average PC user to want to deal with so they would rather spend the extra $100 still for a copy of Windows (and use installers and .exes which seem much simpler).

19. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The speed is the only advantage of Windows 8.1, but since I run Windows 7 off an SSD it boots up fast enough (under 30 seconds from power-on to desktop), and runs smoothly enough that I won't bother "upgrading".

I agree. Installers and universal binary executables could work just fine, if there weren't a billion distributions and architectures, but that's the beauty of Linux; it'll run on your microwave if you want it to. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Ubuntu almost became mainstream enough that it would've been the go-to distribution of Linux for people who aren't very technically inclined, some low budget laptops even came with it installed. It's just that Microsoft has a dollar or two more when it comes to marketing. :wink:

My mother runs Linux, and refuses to use Windows unless she needs to. I installed Ubuntu on her laptop (dual boot alongside Windows) over 5 years ago, because her Windows constantly got messed up one way or another (how do people who only browse the web an hour a week always do this?). She's not a power user, in fact she calls Linux "Mozilla" because she uses Firefox on it and used Internet Explorer on Windows. :lol: However, she loves the speed, stability and lack of mainstream viruses. I only update it every time a new LTS is released, which isn't nearly as big a hassle as updating to a new version of Windows, and she hasn't managed to crash it or anything in 5 years.

20. thekillingmoon

It doesn't look that great, same aggravating design with a bunch of tabs. They should consider adding an option to make it look like previous versions of windows. I'm using windows 7 and I'm content with it.