1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I replace my motherboard plus cpu?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by JessicaWolfess, Oct 1, 2014.

1. JessicaWolfess

Okay so here's what's happening; when I first upgraded my rig with a i5 3470 and a standard atx asus motherboard it was the dogs bollocks, could record from fraps with no frame rate drop. Every game seemed to max out with amazing performance with help from my 7950 (rip </3) of course, and the on board audio was the best audio quality I had ever heard from any device up to that point.

But now games load slow and framerates fluctuate all the time (I'm using a 2 month old r9 270 so I doubt it's the card since it happends with most games on low and medium aswell) my computer sometimes just fresses and crashes (although it hasn't happend in 4 months so far), the on board audio just died one day so I had to get a sound card, and only 3 of the 6 sata ports works.

I've been thinking of upgrading my board and cpu but that means reinstalling windows and backing up my stuffs (ugh) and It's sorta tolerable now.

What do you guys think?

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmm. I suspect some kind of a hardware failure, but maybe try identifying it? If you have random crashes, maybe try burning something like memtest86+ to a USB stick?

I was able to identify some damaged memory that way.

3. Webman777

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It sounds to me like the motherboard is going bad. However, I would do like Pret Allez suggested and run some more tests to rule everything else out first.

If the motherboard is bad, why would you want to upgrade both the board and CPU? Why not just the board? The i5 3470 is still a damn good processor and you can still find plenty of LGA 1155 socketed motherboards out there.

4. flatlander48

An important question be how old is the computer? That may have a bearing on what you replace and how far you go. Granted, that i5 processor is pretty decent, but remember that newer versions of software (operating systems, regular applications, games, et al) usually make more demands on the hardware. Unfortunately you can't really future-proof a computer, but at least you can plan to minimize the agony...

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's pretty unlikely that an i5 processor is going to be too slow. A SSD and high-end graphics card will solve most problems in userland before a motherboard upgrade is required (because the good processors will likely be on an incompatible socket).

6. JessicaWolfess

Looks like I will need to buy a new cpu since no where in Australia sells 1155 motherboards anymore

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That doesn't mean Newegg doesn't sell LGA 1155 motherboards.

8. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Motherboards seem to always go bad before the cpu.

9. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well if you were content with the performance the logical conclusion would be to get another mainboard...
    sometimes new ones are sold by merchants on ebay....