1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Screen/Game Recorder?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by EleanorHunter, Oct 5, 2014.

1. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello all, it's me again with yet another technical problem.

I would like to start a youtube gaming channel, but am having some problems recording every now and then. I want to record gameplay footage for Yume Nikki, and it's not working. I've used MSI Afterburner for some game recording, and it works great with Steam Games and some others. However, it crashes with Yume Nikki. I tried using OBS as well, but have little to no clue how to use it. I never works when I launch Yume Nikki.

Basically, I was wondering what everybody else used to record games. Is there a program out there that works for basically everything? Or one that is compatible with Yume Nikki? I'm willing to pay a little bit for something that I would use for everything and that doesn't take up too much space on my computer, but free would be better. My laptop has Windows 8, and I've heard that means it won't run FRAPS. Maybe it affects other programs as well...? And if you're curious; yes, my laptop is powerful enough to handle two programs at once. I've recorded HD footage while playing a game with no lag. It's a laptop that I got in March, and I bought it for the sake of gaming and movie editing.

So... any suggestions...?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've only ever used HyperCam. This was years ago, but it was free and could record a select portion of the screen or the whole thing. I'd recommend you check it out, see if it's to your liking. :slight_smile:

3. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use bandicam. So far I have no complaints. It works great on everything that I have used it for so far.

4. shinji

shinji Guest

Fraps? Was there ever, anything better and simpler than that? I mean, it's kind of "standard" by now...

5. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fraps is good, but the files can take up a lot of space. A lot of space. Bandicam does compression on the fly, so it's more practical if you are recording with limited hard drive space or long videos. I don't have anything against fraps, but bandicam is pretty darn sweet.

6. shinji

shinji Guest

You can configure Fraps accordingly so that clips don't take as much space (frame rate, resolution etc...), and compression = limited post processing "breathing room".

7. gaynerd64

I've used Quicktime for general recordings since I got a Mac.

8. DigitalHusky

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you can score yourself a hauppauge HD PVR 2 capture device (which I have), you can record PC and Console gaming without the harsh lag into your computer. You have to convert the files though. It records in 4k and 1080p. :grin:

9. lemons123

i second fraps.

10. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't realize they made capture cards for PCs. That is so flipping cool.

11. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alright, I've found something that will work for the game I want for free. It's called BSR recorder and seems to work pretty well. The only problem is that the video shows the game in just the top left hand corner of the screen. I'll work and find a way to fix that.

12. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Check out OBS. It's a free recorder people use to stream, but it also records games if you want. I use it, and it's really good. Settings might be confuising a bit, but nothing too complicated.

https://obsproject.com/

13. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Edit: Lol I didn't see you said you used it.

Where it says sources right click and add game capture, window capture, and monitor capture. When you start the game click start recording. With the game running, right click on game capture and click properties, a window pops up, where it says application, click on the dropdown and look for the game you want. Click on it and then click ok. It saves the video in your video folder by default.

for some reason can't edit my other post.

14. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ I've been trying to do that for a while now, but it's just not working. I've tried recording with monitor capture, window capture, and game capture, but nothing has worked well. Only window capture, and it ends up being in the far corner of the video. The game is a .exe file, but I didn't think that would affect it. Any ideas for what I should do? I'm going to try other games and see if the same problems occur, but this is already turning out to be a huge problem since I play so many indie games.

15. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Do you see anything like this window?

[​IMG]

16. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    No, seriously. Why can't I just edit my post? It just looks like I'm spamming now.

You got me interested so I found another game recorder (free, the best price.). Works pretty good and it's a simple setup/setting. I have a 4 core processor so. Not really the best for recording. That's why the graphics might look bland.

Here's a video of Blacklight (shut up it was laggy as fuck trying to record. I'm better I assure you): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF7X6pmEDt8&feature=youtu.be

Here's another example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3_Nu1RP9gA&feature=youtu.be

The thing is called Loilo. Here: http://loilo.tv/us/product/game_recorder

Oh, and I'll be deleting the videos tomorrow so if the video links don't work that's why.

17. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've tried that Loilo recorder, and it seems like it'll work after I play around with it a little bit. I tried recording something earlier and the file just randomly deleted itself (?). Then again, it was my first time using it, so there's probably a few things I need to do before it's perfect. It'll be a nice option though along with OBS and MSI Afterburner.

I do see that window for OBS, but most of the time the game I'm playing doesn't show up as being an application. Or I set it to record the monitor, then go back into the fullscreen game, and it just goes black in the video. Again, I'll probably just have to tweak with the settings a bit.

Thank you so much for your help!

18. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Maybe look at your file pathing. The default should be inside your video folder.

19. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I looked in the default folder and all other folders and I still couldn't find it. Who knows.

20. RandomTrall

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Recording programs must hate you I guess.

As a last resort you could try shadowplay or gaming evolved, depending on your card. Nvidia uses shadowplay. Radeon uses gaming evolved. I used the gaming evolved since I have the r9 270. It's great and does lag. Some people are against it because it is a raptr powered thing. raptr is spyware in the same way as facebook and google is. Don't give it any personal information and you're fine. I never even made an account, but I can record just fine.