1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photography

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Nychthemeron, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?

I personally love photography, even if the final photograph has been heavily edited. The camera seems to capture the most amazing and fascinating moments and scenery of this world, and it just seems to be a really relaxing, yet engaging, activity for me.

I've done a quick rundown of the EC rules, and it doesn't seem to say anything against this, so if you'd like, post your best pieces, maybe?

Here are a few amateur ones I took:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, I edited them. Sorry-not-sorry.

My photos don't look that good when they aren't edited. Here are the few lucky shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all I have. They're pretty old, too, but I doubt I can do any better. I'm only a hobbyist, after all.

But, enough about me. Surely there are other photography enthusiasts out there?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't even pretend to be a photographer. But I do love editing pics with Photoshop. Changing values, contrast, etc. can change the mood of a shot and evoke whatever emotion you desire. Pure magic. :grin:

There was a very normal and non-artistic pic taken of me for the sole purpose of editing it for my graphic design class. And for better or for worse I turned it into this:

[​IMG]
    Maybe it's because it's my own work but I think it looks awesome for an amateur effort.

^^And Nycht, I like the shot of the leaves with water droplets. No editing works great for you there. :slight_smile:

#2 Argentwing, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  3. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I mostly take photographs for reference material in painting. My dad is pretty good at it though. We had a darkroom in the basement when i was growing up. Before he decided to be a doctor he was aiming to be a professional photographer. I think he probably could have been pretty successful at it.

4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can barely call myself a photographer. Just a hobbyist picture-taker. :lol:

The picture doesn't seem to be showing up, though.

And, thank you!

That's super cool. Never really saw a darkroom before, but it seems pretty interesting. Apparently, the "digital darkroom" is like a euphemism for photoshopping/photo-editing. Haha.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm. It's from my gallery on here; not sure why it wouldn't show up. You might be able to see it by going on my profile. It's the Resident Evil 5 one lol.

6. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love photography. I've been doing it since I was twelve, although I haven't had much time for it lately. I've gotten a lot of awards from the contests around where I live, so I'd like to think I don't suck at it. I don't want to share them here, though, because I've posted my better shots on deviantART and that would be a way to find who I am.

I've been thinking about doing a trans- or queer-related photo to be either vent art or just to show what I am feeling, but I haven't come up with a good idea yet.

7. littlemonster11

I have a few of my images in my gallery on my profile.

I would post more on this thread, but I don't really know how to do that, lol.

I love photography! I've loved it for as long as I can remember, thanks to my mom. :slight_smile:

I was an art major when I first started college, but I'm still taking some photography courses even as an Econ major. I've learned how to use Photoshop because of the courses I've taken. This semester, I'm taking Advanced Photography, and we're doing Alternative Processes, such as Cyanotypes and Gum Bichromate. It's time-consuming, but really cool.

Photography has unknowingly been a therapy for me. It's one of the few things that help me find inner peace.

#7 littlemonster11, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  8. Acm

Acm Guest

I've been interested in photography recently but my brother broke all of our cameras so I can't really do anything

9. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Still not showing. :lol:

Ah, that's unfortunate. D: I'd love to see them!

Woah, your photos are super awesome! :slight_smile:

Is your mother a professional photographer?

Ugh, my camera sort of broke too. It's really clunky, but I've recently gotten into "iPhoneography" - it's WAY more convenient than taking pictures with a camera, although, you tend to have to edit it more. Unless you're skilled at it, I guess.

I use the app TADAA - HD Pro Camera - it's actually really cool, and you can manually focus and all. Plus, it's free.

10. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've got a portfolio, as well! Can't show you guys, though. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. shinji

shinji Guest

Oh, photography! I like that!!! \(^▽^@)ノ

Would share stuff but i've put it in a private album because, paranoid and stuff... (T_T)

So what can we talk about?! (∩⌣̀_⌣́)

Cameras: So what do you guys think about the Sony a7S? I think it's a step in the right direction and would instantly swap for my DSLR but, it's sooooo bloody expensive... Also, being able to use those sweet Zeiss lenses! (^_^)

Lenses: Also, anyone else here shooting with old M42 lenses? Have a sweet CZ Sonnar, and a Tessar. How strange is this... The Tessar is actually brighter than a 50 1.8D.

Filters: Have been using an IR by Hyoa, can't get the silly thing to work with any of my lenses, always produces a hot spot. Any ideas as to how to circumvent this?

Tripods: Can't beat carbon fiber, no matter what anyone says! It's not so much about them being light but, they are very rigid. So what if they cost an arm and a leg...

Bags: Did you guys see the new Lowepro Nova Sport line? Why would anyone buy that, i mean... it's so... cramped. Old Nova 180/200W bags were so much better. Also that rain protector! As for style, you can't beat Crumpler's stuff.

Memory Cards: SanDisk obviously but... do you guys prefer storage capacity over speed or vice versa? I've found that the Extreme series (45/Mbs) are the best choice, i mean... One must consider burst shots. The Extreme Pro (95/Mbs) is simply not viable, i mean, it depends on the buffer of the body but, 45/Mbps should be enough. Also the Pro version is like, almost double the price.

Flashes: Oh god, why do people buy into those "knock-off flashes that don't even last a year. I mean, not only are they weaker but most don't even have proper TTL. There is a reason why brand flashes are at the price they are.

Brands altogether: Canon or Nikon? I'm a Nikon guy myself but would switch to Sony in a heartbeat for reasons stated above. Also, they do work together (Sony and Nikon) so it's not that long of a stretch. I mean, Canon is great for video, but... their focusing system sucks and image reproduction is always (at least on lower end cameras) too "vivid". I guess they are trying to please the "casual" users but, if you want to do professional work, it's problematic.

Software: Photoshop or Lightroom, or both? I personally prefer to batch stuff through Photoshop. Yes, my notebook screams in pain as i do so but, Lightroom is simply not flexible enough.

Favorite type of photography: So what do you guys prefer to shoot?

On a side note... Does anyone here know of a good android program that will allow me to use my DSLR with my smartphone via an OTG cable? I'm using DSLR Dashboard right now but it's kind of crappy... The only one other i found (not going to mention it), that is good, costs like... a ton of money.

Okay, i'm done!

☆*・゜゚・*\(^O^)/*・゜゚・*☆

13. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm only a hobbyist, so I didn't understand 98% of what you said, Shinji. Sorry. e e

But, favorite type of photography, I can understand. I'm assuming you mean subject-wise?

I'm a huge fan of wildlife photography and close-ups. Landscapes and that sort of thing aren't really my thing. People photography aren't really my thing either.

14. littlemonster11

Thank you! :slight_smile: That means a lot hearing it from someone who has nice images too!

She's not actually. She wanted to be a photojournalist growing up, but she kinda just gave up on pursuing it.

Thanks so much!! :slight_smile:

Now I just gotta figure out how to post pictures in the spoiler tag, lol, unless I'm overlooking something..

15. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah, I see. Enthusiasm is boundless, isn't it? :grin:

And, thanks so much!

You use [spoiler ] and [/spoiler ], by the way, to use spoilers - just put the [img ] tag inside the spoiler tag and it should work.

16. shinji

shinji Guest

Ah but that's the beauty of it. You see, shooting people is soooo therapeutic. You know, since they practically don't even register you (well, most of them) once they see you are looking at them through a camera. This can result in some pretty nice shots. Try it, trust me!

As for wildlife, what exactly are you shooting? I mean... birds and stuff or... more extreme stuff? Also, how close can you get with an iPhone, i'm somewhat curious.

Also, here's some random crap...

[​IMG]

17. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe, but it's really tough to take photos of living things. My hands are already shaky, and unless the person can freeze in a natural position, it's probably going to look terribly bad. :lol:

But, yes, I also admire people photography— all kinds, pretty much. I just prefer wildlife and things, since it's more relaxing to me. To each their own, I suppose. :slight_smile:

Also, I'm afraid of shooting pictures of strangers lest they find out and sue me e e

I shoot slow animals and plants. :lol: My chickens were nice enough for me to get a pretty nice shot, and, uh, I sometimes find this big ass cicada on the road, so I take pictures of those sort of things as well. Resting insects are also easy to take.

I did try some more action-y pictures, but they weren't as good, in my opinion. More interesting, I guess, but not as visually pleasing. Haha.

As for how close up— actually pretty damn close, but I could only do close-ups of plants with my iPhone. You have to get really, really close— or you'll just have to crop. Any sensible animal (including humans) would run away before I could take their picture. ><

I'll post some of my pictures into a gallery later. Maybe. If I get permission from my younger sibling. :x

And, holy crap, that's really awesome! How did you do it?

18. kem

kem

I like taking photos. Lately I've been ignoring my Nikon D7000, my beloved 50mm AF-D f/1.4 and my 35mm f/1.8, mostly taking photos with my iphone. Since iOS 8 you can expose manually –bar aperture since it's fixed at 2.2– and I've been playing with light. :3

lightplay - Imgur (anonymous uploads)

I like lo-fi photography and shitty quality. Been thinking about buying a crappy old (DSLR) camera and taking shots with it. I'd like to also start using really low-capacity, sub-2GB memory cards

mostly cause traditional shots get boring really fast, when everything works like a charm there's no real challenge it feels like

#18 kem, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  19. shinji

shinji Guest

It's smoke photography, like... with incense sticks and a flash.

Blurry photos can also turn out good. Like, for example... When walking on the street, just try a "hip shot" of the person next to you. Make it black and white, and you're good to go! Obviously, chose a somewhat interesting looking person.

Insects, you know the trick is to catch them in the cold, like, the colder they are the less they move. As for animals, scare them. Easies/funniest shots are when they get scared by something and suddenly "freeze", to try and see what the "danger" was.

But i guess, when it comes to humans, it's more to do with the gear you have, since... It's far less intimidating, someone taking a photo of you with an iPhone, than it is with a huge ass camera + lens.
    *fistbump for D7000!*

How long can you expose with an iPhone? Because if you can go for like 10-15 seconds, you can try the "flashlight" trick, to get some pretty HDR-like photos.

As for old crappy DSLR's, why not invest in new lenses?! Or a filter, since you already have the D7000 which is pretty versatile. Get a Lensbaby kit or switch to M42 lenses for that REAL authentic feel. Like... lookup soligor, biotar, takumar etc... or a simple helios. Those are crappy and cheap but produce quite pleasing "vintage" shots. Also the bokeh is insanely good! Lookup "helios 44M-4" and see the images.

As for a "challenge" you are shooting in manual, right?

20. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love photography - often take my camera with me just in case I see something that catches my eye. I'm big on natural scenery or urban environments.

It's something I've considered as a career path, but jobs are not easy to come by and they don't pay well to start off with.