1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oculus Rift DK2

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by gazwkd, Oct 19, 2014.

1. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

I'm curious if anyone on here is geeky enough to have got hold of of an Oculus Rift?

Dependant on funds next weekend I'm going to order one although the dispatch wait is going to be a pain at 6-8 weeks. :bang:

[​IMG]

2. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Buckled early and bought one anyhow.. Now the wait begins.

3. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dude, I'm really envious. Hopefully it won't take too long to come. Have you played with it before?

I played the Alien: Isolation prototype at Eurogamer this year... I was so scared I didn't even want to move out of the starting area. It was ridiculous.

4. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

I was at a learning event and they had a DK1 with the rollercoaster demo and since then I've been itching to get one.

I can't wait there's quite a bit of stuff out there to try it with :slight_smile:

5. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're going to love DK2. I've played both and the "screen door" effect is a lot less obvious in DK2. I'm really jealous, you'll have to let me know how it goes!

6. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Will do. I'm lucky enough to have a Galaxy Note 4 so I can also mess with Samsung Gear VR when they release it (!)

7. shinji

shinji Guest

Don't have it, probably won't get it, due to it not realistically being usable in competitive play. For movies and such, maybe... But only when it becomes mainstream.

If it's one thing i've learned about hardware in general, it's that you NEVER splurge for the newest stuff, right after it's released. You wait some time, the price drops, bugs are fixed, new revisions, os's and stuff depending on the hardware, and then... you buy.

Like for example, "gazwkd", you say you're "lucky" to have a Note 4, but... do you know how little support it has right now? I mean, think about rooting, custom firmware, more specialized apps, etc...

Technology these days, "develops" too quickly. And i do put "develop" in quotes because, let's face it, manufacturers do "new releases" without actually having all that much "new" stuff to implement in comparison to old models. It's just that people are stupid and go for the "new" stuff since it's... "new". OR is the same... Until they release something that is "baseline" standard, it's not worth it.

8. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

That would be your opinion - I know what I'm letting myself in for, that's why it's called a developers kit at the moment.

I say I'm lucky as in it's not a cheap bit of kit, I know not everyone can go high end on a phone. There is plenty of support, the phone has been out in S. Korea for a bit - it doesn't take long for the android mod community to start messing with stuff.
    I also say I'm lucky in that the Gear VR is designed exclusively for the Note 4 so will work out of the box with the phone.

Or people who are into their tech actually do heavy research before investing in expensive new kit.

I'm not sure if you realise how condescending you sound in your post :dry:

#8 gazwkd, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2014
  9. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The stuff that Samsung is doing is interesting too, I'd be interested to see what you think.

I think that most tech-savvy people these days realise they're probably not getting the 'best' version of their product if they buy straight away. In the case of Oculus Rift, it's a product still in development so obviously it has a fair way to go before being consumer ready. It doesn't have a release date even.

However, having experienced Virtual Reality myself, I have to say it's genuinely amazing and I really think it's the way of the future. I don't see any harm in enthusiasts wanting to try the new technology at an early stage. It really does feel like something new and unique, you can't blame people for being excited by it's potential!

10. shinji

shinji Guest

1 - Back in my day *shakes cane in the air*, people got paid, to test crap, not the other way around.

2 - Judging from how little progress is made (or was made, they finally started pushing forward) on the Note 3, i can only assume that it's even worse on the Note 4. Don't have any actual data to back this up. Too lazy to google.

3 - How much research can you make on a product that has just been released?! I mean, a valid opinion can't be made until said product has had time to "settle in", so that "problems" can arise and be "targeted".

I get where you come from though, there is a certain "rush" in having all the latest gadgets, a rush that in itself is something that i guess people are willing to pay for. I myself can't afford to waste money like that so i'm more practical. It's only natural that our opinions would be different.

11. Basic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Looks super interesting. I've seen some youtubers playing horror games on it. It seems like they'd go hand and hand. Unfortunately, I think I'll wait for a retail version of it. I just don't think I'd use it enough!

12. medic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a DK2. It's a lot of fun but crying out for more real game experiences. There are a few really good ones but not many I'd play for hours just because they're fun. Most are just small things which are cool for a bit but never again.

A notable exception is Elite Dangerous and maybe Alien Isolation but I'm not great with horror games even when they're not strapped to my face XD

13. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

Yeah!!

I don't have one, but I've been wanting since the first edition just came out. I might purchase one when I get a job.

14. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Ah but have you not tried:

TriDef 3D

or

vorpX - VR 3D-Driver for Oculus Rift - 3D Driver for the Oculus Rift and similar Virtual Reality headsets

15. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

16. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome! That wasn't long to wait after all!

17. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Yeah, amazingly fast - seems the European orders are getting fulfilled faster than most for some reason, not complaining :slight_smile: Won't be able to play till Thurs though as out in the field with some students till then.

18. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I seen a video of someone playing skyrim with these on and the treadmill and wii remotes, made me want one so badly.

[YOUTUBE]k7n5kRRHDpw[/YOUTUBE]

19. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Yeah I've seen all sorts of add ons for it but I think unless you have a dedicated gamesroom that stuff will just be too damn bulky.

20. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah the treadmill is a bit impractical and would only really work if there was no flying, swimming or anything like that In the game.
    I'd love to play a Horror game on it, that'd be cool.