1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hatred?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Stripe101, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Stripe101

I don't know how many of you have heard, but there's a new game coming out called Hatred where the only objective is to kill innocent civilians.

I don't want to link the trailer because it's pretty disturbing but it's easy to find if you're willing.

I personally think a game like this jeopardizes everything the gaming industry has worked for, and will no doubt stir up old controversies. Not to mention it's a complete clone of Postal.

So, what are your thoughts?

2. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

3. Ashley2103

Sounded fun until I saw that it wasn't a third person shooter (if that is the right term.)

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No game survives on word-of-mouth alone; if it has no inherent value outside trying to stir the pot, it will go away.

EDIT: Just watched the trailer. Whoever made that thing is a sick fuck, and even as a guy pretty desensitized to violence, the fact that somebody would put so much effort into this is disturbing.

Unless they intended to shed light that there are omnicidal people out there who either need help or need to have their trip to the afterlife expedited.

#4 Argentwing, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  5. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On one hand, I sort of subscribe to the idea that if we just ignore games like this they usually go away, and the controversy dies down. However, this game is obviously in really bad taste and pretty unpleasant. More than that, it's creators don't really accept any responsibility or show any maturity about it either, which does give developers a bad name.

Having said that, there are some awful films out there, and not all movies are tarred with the same brush. Hopefully video games are a big enough medium now for people to realize that.

It's a shame that so many popular games these days do tend to lean towards violence as a theme. It's made it a bit too easy for idiotic developers to be like "So, you like shooting people in the head, eh? Lets take that to the NEXT LEVEL!"

6. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i can agree with the article that gazwkd posted, to a certain extent. i can't say that i'm offended. i've seen worst... there's a lot of sick stuff in reality then this game has to offer. i don't think it'll last even if it's to be released because it seems like it would get boring mighty quick. when the author presented those games that did have a lot of murder with the option to kill innocent civilians and all, that doesn't mean it makes murder more justifiable, which leads back to the "violent gaming will make the person violent". Stirpe is right when he said it brings back the old gaming controversies that they worked constantly to debunked over and over again.

7. shinji

shinji Guest

Idea sounds fun, realization... not so much, like most games today. Would have worked out much better as an FPS.

Damn it... i so wish for a game like Postal 2, that was, priceless! I mean, you can't get any better than using cats as silencers, peeing on people and then tasering them, oh fun times.

One huge gripe i've had with games though, they never allow you to kill kids, old people or cripples. Like, what was the last game you played, that allowed you to do that?!

As for controversy... Even PacMan was filled with violence! A deformed man, stealing all the food from poor people who have died, and now wander the world as restless spirits, meaning no harm... And this bastard is like nomnomnom and destroying everything.

A matter of perspective, really.

8. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :lol: That's nothing compared to Minecraft: Murder Simulator. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to kill a sheep to make a bed.

9. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've done more terrible actions than murder in video games. I've condemned virtual people to eternal damnation in Dante's Inferno. I've prolonged beating up vampire scum because they don't die until you impale them. I've enslaved virtual animals against their will and battled them against other animals. I've botched operations under the influence of alcohol. And don't get me started on the genetic splicing in another game.

What shocks people is being forced to watch a realistic representation of their virtual actions. I think it's a waste of time unless it's fun and gives you a sense of achievement. But there are people that enjoy freaking bus driving simulations, so, maybe Hatred appeals to some people? I agree that it gives critics ammo to use against the gaming industry. We need to support better games. There are so many good games out there... it's silly to judge them all because of one game. They'd find something else to complain about.