1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you Like Single Player or Multiplayer Games

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Justinian20, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Justinian20

In my honest opinion, I believe that all well made games with a focus on single player are better than well made games with a focus on multiplayer. The reason for my belief that single player is better than multiplayer is that single player games just have a mere focus on story, fun, dialogue, creativity in some cases and in all cases I find single player a better gaming experience than multiplayer. Now I'm sure about seventy percent of people think Call of Duty is better than Fallout: New Vegas, but I'm a believer that Fallout: New Vegas is the better game.

What are your thoughts on Single Player Games v Multiplayer Games(which one is better, why is that specific mode better) also a game with a larger focus on Single Player is a game that I consider a single player game, but a game with a larger focus in multiplayer than singleplayer is a multiplayer game.

For e.g. (Halo is a single player franchise with focus on the single player mode over the multiplayer mode which adds to the experience), Battlefield(although it does have a campaign, the main feature is the multiplayer experience. Let the Discussion commence brothers and sisters.

2. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm interesting. I think that both have their virtues. The reason single player games stick in your mind so much, in my opinion, is because what's popular in multiplayer is always changing. Something like Titanfall seemed really fresh when it came out, but next year it'll be something different. So they very quickly get out-dated, however good and well crafted they are. There's something timeless though about a really good story or experience that brings out emotion in the player. Without the pressure of having to predict the latest trend, or how to keep an online population up, developers have a bit more freedom to provide the experience they want for the player.

I honestly couldn't pick between single or multi player focused games, I like them both. But instinctively I think I'd lean towards agreeing with you - Skyrim and Last of Us are both examples of amazing video game experiences, and they're both focused on one player.

It's interesting you use Halo as an example of a single player focused game. These days I really think it's focused on single and multi player equally. Maybe that's the reason I like it so much! It's the best of both worlds. :slight_smile:

3. 8Knight8

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i typically prefer single player games with a multiplayer option. like Diablo 3, or MineCraft...

expansive MMO's are great for those options too. like, i could kill loads of time raiding on WoW with a bunch of people and killing all the things...or i could spend an entire night picking flowers for herbalism...

and the pet battles... :grin:

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Single player. Multi has the potential to be a more realistic and meaningful experience, but in execution, it ends up being the opposite (at least in my experience) because you end up playing with strangers. If I could get a tight-knit group of like 10 people to play Arma 3 seriously, I would be over the moon. Instead I end up playing Halo matchmaking and killing/dying with random others until it feels more like work than fun.

I prefer single player because you get to be in charge of your own destiny. In linear games that means you can play at your own style and pace. In RPGs, that means you can make meaningful changes to the world and build a real emotional connection to what happens there.

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'm honestly not a big fan of online gaming. I'll only do co op or like one on one vs match type stuff with my friends online. I don't like playing with strangers in general because then I get insecure about my performance while with friends I have no worries about goofing off and not doing as good but having fun.

6. Pipihpipih

Pipihpipih Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    Single playa'

7. Ashley2103

Single Player

8. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I prefer single-player. Videogames are a part of my relaxing time, and I like being alone whenever I play them, plus I enjoy the freedom. Although I do enjoy co-op/multiplayer occasionally, granted I'm playing with friends, not strangers telling me to go fuck myself if I make a mistake.

9. Kriskluwe

Kriskluwe Guest

Single, mos def . I'm not a gamer and don't handle criticism too well so ...Destiny is very cool single player but I'm going to have to branch out and play it with my own personal gamer soon enough.

10. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like single player games a lot of the time, but I have to say some of the most fun I have had with friends has been gaming online. When you have the right group it is awesome.

11. White Knight

For me depends on games. I love story and character building in games and both genre has it's gems.

So I enjoy single player games with character building and MMOs with story.

This is why I love RPG genre most on single player games. MMOs I play are usually story driven like Champions Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Neverwinter Online or DC Universe Online. However unlike single player games MMOs become boring faster unless you have friends to play with.

It might be me but I think MMO players are way much different than the time I started playing MMOs on early 2000s. Back then people were more friendly and enjoy company. Now more and more people like to play MMOs as single player games.

12. Erika Enigmatic

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Multiplayer is more fun since you're playing with actual people and it gets so competitive.
    However, that can also make it less fun since some people online are just so bloody annoying.

13. 101DeadRoses

It depends. Left 4 Dead is made more for multiplayer, but it's still brilliant and immensely entertaining in single player.

In general, though, I like games made for single player, with at least splitscreen capabilities.

14. Ryujin

I prefer MMOs than single player games, having spent lots of time on them, I like being able to speak to my guild whilst playing and generally joking and messing around. On the other hand, single player games can be fun if they're executed properly and succeed in immersing you, my problem is that a lot try to have a metagame (trophies etc.) and they just don't work on a single player game however if it's something such as Skyrim, which can be very immersive, the game itself is enough to occupy me and I don't get bored.

15. Jenna0780

I prefer single player games. Although multiplayer games, especially racing games, can be fun, I'm not extremely competitive (generally I'm more competitive with the computer than another player), and I'm also not very vocal, so I tend to be a bore to play with, or so I've been told.

16. Kilbert

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I enjoy playing single-player games mostly because I don't share interests with anyone close to me. Multiplayer games could be fun at times, though they overpower me.

17. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I prefer single player games that have a multiplayer option for fun but I don't like games that need multiple players to be fun. I like to be able to adapt, enjoy the game by myself but anyone who comes around can join in on the fun.

18. Gallatin

I prefer single-player games. The only game I had a lot of fun playing multiplayer on was Halo: Reach.

19. Thedistra

I prefer single players. I find I get too obsessed with mmos and not in a fun way, in a this has become my job way. Now games that have both modes I enjoy.

Besides multiplayers tend to lack in the story department. Which is what I enjoy most in games. The story doesn't even need to be unique it just has to draw me in.

20. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I really like both but multiplayer, in my opinion, gives you a lot more out of a game. You're quite limited playing against the computer but anything can happen online.