1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sword and Shield weapons v Gun weapons

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Justinian20, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Justinian20

In gaming, I like close combat warfare a lot more than using guns in games. I guess it's because close combat has a more epic feel to it. I have an extremely vivid imagination and so I like to imagine with close combat when you fight, it's like facing an entire horde head on and looking like a complete badass cutting swathes of them down. Also fantasy is more preferred than sci-fi in that case. I can see how the future warriors can be badass, but it feels indefinitely more badass using a sword and shield to face down an army.

I'd like you guys to discuss what you actually like in terms of gaming using close combat or perhaps you like pumping entire armies full of lead with ranged firepower in gaming.

This thread is really only for true gamers. But if you do have an opinion on what you like in combat in terms of gaming.

It's why my favourite games are Spartan: Total Warrior(old title), Skyrim and Shadow of Mordor.

2. Ryujin

Well, I tend to prefer more ranged weapons so I would go with guns, though preferably small pistols and a rifle weapon would be what I would use. In fantasy settings I use bows and magic primarily, to try and get some range. I don't tend to like close up combat unless I have a definite advantage or I'm very versatile and so can use my pistols (preferably double) to their full extent without being shot myself.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

It depends on the game.

When it comes to the Elder Scrolls, I tend to prefer archery. I usually only engage in close combat, if my character calls for it. For example, if I create a Monk or Bender-like character.

4. Justinian20

I personally agree it depends on the game but say for me in every single game I like to be the guy that charges in and destroys everyone. When it comes to guns I like to soak up damage and then go into rage mode and deal all the damage back at my enemy

5. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer close combat. Otherwise I feel myself itching for a fight and it's no fun. Dark Souls was one of the best games I ever played. I loved mowing down my enemies with a black knight halberd and hacking them up with a lightning zweihänder. I hardly bother with ranged attacks.

With that said, I've found a bit of archery to be fun. I would find a high place and shoot an arrow through an enemy's head. I let them tire themselves out running to me and ambushed them. One at a time.

I can be imaginative, too. Sometimes I write backstories to explain why my character is adventuring. I do that when I plan my build.

I don't play many FPS, but there are exceptions. Unreal Tournament was awesome. I was always getting too close to opponents and killing myself as well. Absolute mayhem where death is no big deal and you're fighting again in seconds. I think Killzone 2 and 3 had fun single player modes and at least the latter let you perform brutal melee kills.

Amazingly, I've never played Skyrim. I was put off when I heard about bugs/problems and I haven't researched it for a while.

6. Nikky DoUrden

Sword and shield ?! who use that ?!?!?! either a two-handed sword/hammer or duel-wielding scimitars (my avatar). oh yeah 8)

But some guns games are good too, like fallout (1,2,3 mostly) and wasteland 2 and thats the ones popping into my mind atm :grin:

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a fake gamer, I prefer historical fantasy better, so I don't like guns at all.

I use sword and shield as well as longbow. This is in Elder Scrolls.

Real life is a totally different story. I use knife and pistol. :badgrin:

8. BlueAndWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I more prefer to be the guy who is back behind the action, seeing everything, so my weapon of choice would be a sniper rifle with a pistol as back up

9. shinji

shinji Guest

↑ - What he said.

Taking up my AS50 and sniping ppl near Elektro in DayZ, best thing ever!

*brain loading*

Jamie, you can be my spotter!

*thread* - ranged stuff, mages, archers, etc... So fun to kill stuff before they get close to you!

edit: vid for the lulz!

[YOUTUBE=_pCw5AkPzpM]AS50[/YOUTUBE]

10. ChameleonSoul

I'm almost always play as a ranged/sniper character, so my weapons of choice are either guns, bows or magic. I sometimes use a dagger or dual-wield if the situation calls for it, though.

11. shinji

shinji Guest

[YOUTUBE=-klox5lP9gY]Remington 770[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

12. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'm a fighter at heart so my weapon of choice would be my fists. or plasma...

13. Chromedome

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sword and shield is flashier but, practical speaking guns are superior, plus I like the control and manipulate my enemy from afar.

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OP, you need to try Mount & Blade. No game better simulates what it's like to fight with melee weapons with tons of soldiers on the field. You have to have real skills in positioning, striking, blocking, and counter-attacking if you hope to come out on top in a duel.

[youtube]xrRF91X0XtA[/youtube]

[youtube]WG0YM35goSE[/youtube]

Game systems may be more friendly to guns just in terms of practicality, but nothing beats the thrill of crossed blades. :love:

15. White Knight

I don't know. I have a thing for dual weilding maces or morningstars. At least with them you can make conga when you are bored.

On topic;

None. I prefer control over direct combat and in games this usually comes with magic or super powers. When you have those two who needs for weapons.

My weapon of choice on Saint's Row was my punches or rocket launcher for massacre situations.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I forgot to add. If/when I make a samurai-like character, I'll use short blades or swords, for close but quick combat.

The strategist in me, prefers being at a distance though. I like to survey the area, and plan out, my next few actions.

17. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Oh yeah that reminds me the Dildo Bat is my other weapon of choice.

18. antibinary

I enjoy swords most.

19. Nikky DoUrden

Maces reminds me clerics! lets agree about dual-wielding flails ? http://neverwintervault.org/sites/n...les/project/6429/images/1295893488fullres.jpg

20. Yosia

I play an assassin/rogue character in every game i play so i prefer weapons which i can move fast with and kill my opponents quickly. I usually use a strong pistol in gun games and a dagger or katana in swird games. I sometimes use magic too.