1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Malfunctioning Toshiba Laptop

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Kira, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, so my laptop has been unusable for roughly a week now, so I can tell it isn't coming back on. The screen does not power on, but the laptop powers up and even plays the "startup" sound. it's about 3-4 years old now and I keep it running smoothly software wise. Is this a loose cord, preventing the screen from being powered up?
    Most of the information on the bottom of the computer has worn away, and is illegible. However, I believe this is the entire serial number: 7B267508W

The battery needs replacement, but it is plugged in and I do not believe this is a related issue.

If anyone knows the problem, let me know. I'm not all that great with technology.

#1 Kira, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Do you have the type/model no ?

Did you do something unusual, like closing the lid very fast or something like that ?

Do you close the lid every time/often ?

A possibility to test might be a pc monitor... there are conectors in the back of the laptop where you can plug in a monitor.

#2 jay777, Nov 1, 2014
  3. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Could be something with the flexible cable in the "hinge" part, or something else.
    I'd try to hook it up to a computer monitor (bring your laptop and charger to a friend or relative who has one) and see if the computer seems to work fine otherwise (i.e. if the graphic card still generates pictures and it's just the screen part that's non-functioning).

Whether it's an easy/cheap fix is another story altogether. And it's relative to how fancy or basic of a model you have (the serial number by itself won't help much, but if you post the model number as well it may help others to comment). If you need to pay a repair shop (rather than replace parts yourself, which is not for everyone) it's becoming less of a bargain too.

At least it sounds like you'll be able to recover the files and transfer them out to something else (bring a large USB thumbdrive when you go visit your friend with the monitor and transfer any "essential" files, such as photos and other things you can't replace).

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you very much for the quick replies!

The model number has been half erased, unfortunately; at least the first half. All that remains is "D-S5204"

Here's what the laptop looks like, if that in any way can substitute for the lost model number: [​IMG]

Again, thank you very much for assisting me so quickly! I've taken your suggestions into consideration and I am quite grateful.

---------- Post added 1st Nov 2014 at 11:53 AM ----------

Almost forgot to mention, yes, I close the lid very frequently. it's seen almost daily usage for a few solid years. I don't close it very fast, but I understand this could wear out the cord; or at least its connection, yes?

5. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes... there is a cable inside going from the lower part to the lid part.

Another possibility might be just the background light of the notebook monitor. You could check that with a flashlight. If you power on the laptop, with the flashlight, there should be your usual desktop visible, just as outlines... and if you move the cursor, there should be some movement visible on the screen...

Do you have a pc monitor available ? They have standard cable connectors which could be plugged in at the backside of your notebook. You could plug it in, switch it on and start the laptop...

#5 jay777, Nov 1, 2014
  6. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Most likely it's a L755D-S5204 - sounds like a decent affordable machine at the time (2011)
    Toshiba Satellite L755D-S5204 Software and Configurations Reviewed | Budget Laptop Review | Laptop Reviews

Here's a video showing how to replace the screen, and website also has various parts listed with prices - given it's 4 years old and was probably selling around $400 at the time and you need a new battery anyway, I'd say you have two options (after determining the rest is working, via the external monitor test):
    - keep it as a non-travelling computer if you can find a free/real cheap external monitor for it, and if you don't really need portability
    - backup your files now and go shopping for a new laptop

7. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There is a list of solutions...
    all at your own risk...

Laptop display not working? 3 possible solutions to do yourself - YouTube
    from 1:35 (quite a lot of ads there...)

another solution might be the cable... there are manuals on how to open the notebook part where the hinges of the lid are... there is a flexible cable there, which might be broken...
    you could have someone look in there... (just a reminder, always unplug mains and remove battery)

#7 jay777, Nov 1, 2014
  8. ForeverYoung000

I have a ton ton bushy laptop that looks similar to that and it works fine.

I suggest you try the "hard reboot" process:
    1. remove the battery and unplug the wall cord
    2. hold down the power button for 30 seconds
    3. insert the battery and plug the cord back in
    4. try to start the laptop again

This will sometimes allow the laptop to reboot.

If this doesn't work then you will need to determine if the laptop has a bad screen or a problem with the motherboard/CPU. That will probably require a qualified computer tech with hands on access.

Does the Windows start sound play? If so, that would point you to a failed screen.

Good Luck

9. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll see if I can get my hands on a monitor, we don't have one where I live but I'll look into finding one at least to borrow. Does a monitor for any old non-portable computer work, or do I need a special one?

Yeah, the sound plays when I power it on. The lights come on too. It has to be the screen, either way.
    I tried the hard reboot too, and it didn't seem to affect it.

Thanks again, everyone~

---------- Post added 1st Nov 2014 at 02:07 PM ----------

Whoops! I just tried the flashlight like you said, and I can see the screen a little! This means it is a blown light?

10. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    A standard one should do. You should first connect the monitor, then switch on the monitor, then switch on the notebook. That way the notebook is supposed to detect the monitor and switch to the external monitor.

Can you see the arrow moving ? If yes, its the backlight.

You might try to adjust monitor brightness, usually there are function keys for that on the keyboard... a blue FN key and f9 and f10 with brightness symbol on it, for example...

another possibility might be the cable...

and another the backlight itself...

#10 jay777, Nov 1, 2014
  11. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I can see the cursor arrow a bit, and even the login icons. It is very hard to see, but everything is there; just extremely dim. I don't seem to have any luck with brightness.

Since I at least know the basics of the problem now, I can probably just get a replacement for the light and have someone install it, yes? :icon_bigg

12. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

#12 jay777, Nov 1, 2014
  13. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might try to adjust your screen brightness with the key combinations "Fn-F6" (darker) or "Fn-F7" (brighter).

Another try might be the switch for display open/close.
    This is a mangetic switch, which might be stuck. It should be located to the right of the left hinge, slightly frontwards, on the lower part of the notebook, where the power switch is.
    You just might flip open the notebook and tap lightly there a few times (lightly, and best with notebook switched off, so the storage unit is not affected). If stuck, the switch might unstuck.

You might have a look here:
    display - Laptop monitor being very dark, no backlight? - Super User
    (last solution, and a general guide for a pro )

do all at your own risk...
    don't shake the notebook, for example, thats not good for the storage unit.