1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - diagnostic type - sound issues with computer

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Tightrope, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi,

I have a PC from HP (computer, keyboard, flat monitor) that I have not had any issues with since 2010 ... until now.

If I am gone for 3 days or longer, I always take the computer, put it in its box with the protective styrofoam, and take it to family friends' homes where they stash it in a closet and I then go back and pick it up when I return.

I've done this a fair bit, so I know how to hook up all the connections. Well, upon hooking it back up sometime in September, the computer sprang to life ... without sound. I've done their troubleshooting tips the best I know how and everything from the controls seems to be ok.

So, then, I'm wondering:

(1) Is it what they call a sound card in the PC itself? If so, is this typically easy to replace and can a low tech person do it? Are they expensive?

(2) Could it be the monitor itself, since the speakers are built in? I'm wondering if that would make it a throw away at this point.

Again, keep in mind that this happened upon hooking up the computer, something I've done many times.

Any help is appreciated!

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Have you checked the software side first ?
    Is the soundcard visible in computer configurations, like in the devices manager ?
    Clicking with right mouse on sound level symbol should reveal advanced options.
    Are the output devices active and at a normal output level ?

3. BlackSubmarine

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As above, I'd check that if it is sending audio to the correct output (if it has a HDMI port for example, there's a chance that audio is being sent to that device by default). And the advanced volume settings.

I'd also check for outdated drivers. Here's how to check for in device manager:

Assuming from the age/brand you have Windows Vista or 7 installed on it; right click on "Computer" in the start menu, go to "Manage" and select "Device Manager" under "System Tools" from the menu on the left. Expand the "Sound, Video and Game Contoller" and "System Devices" parts and check if there is anything that looks related to audio that has a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark next to it.

Apart from that, I'd try plugging headphones in to the jack, it could be a problem with the monitor or audio cable.

If it does come to getting a new sound card, most in home user commercial PC's aren't that easy to replace in my experience. It is however very easy to just fit an additional one and sound cards are fairly low cost.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you to both of the responses. I did try the right click and, as was suggested, and prior to going this route, I went into the traditional control panel for Vista and all the settings for sound seem correct (as in volume dialed up and such) and the devices appear to be connected.

The thing is this happened right after the computer and everything else had been shut off. It seems most appliance failures occur or are noticed when things are powered on. I am betting it is something more serious, such as the HP monitor itself. What a pain.

Thanks.

5. shinji

shinji Guest

*sniff* *sniff*

Smells like Realtek's shitty jack detection software...

If everything else fails, just get a cheap (handmade?) USB preamp. You'll notice a huge improve in sound quality.

6. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ok then... If software is ok then it might be hardware...
    do you have the possibility to test with the speakers of a friend ? So you could test if its the speakers.
    Speakers are available as standalone devices, without monitor, in all sizes.

If its not that, you might think about getting a usb sound card, which just has to be connected via a usb plug.

I had a faulty sound, too. Technically there might be a defect on the mainboard, so further use is at your own risk. I personally did not let the pc run when I left house.

#6 jay777, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014