1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fallout 3 PC issues

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Batman, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey chums. I recently got a nice(r) computer, and in celebration, I decided to boot up Fallout 3.

I went through the whole installation jam, no problems there, but once I tried to run the program. It gave me an error. It wasn't one I'm familiar with, and while I'll update this thread with the code tonight, I just wanted to get some first impressions.

Have you run into things like this before? The computer is brand new, disk is almost in mint condition. I'm honestly at a loss for why I'm getting an error. :frowning2:

#1 Batman, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Never played Fallout 3, however, some games require you to download other software like DirectX before you're able to play. Perhaps that's the case?

If you get a popup, you can try searching it up on Google, if you haven't already.

3. I know that a lot of people just can't run Fallout 3 on a computer (myself included), or can get it to run, only to crash soon after.

4. Ashley2103

.....I'm not sure why your Fallout 3 crashes before it starts.....but if you do get it to start it will most likely get a crashing error every other door or every door you use. So you may want to use this.

Fallout 3 also seems to hate new computers. I'm sure when I get a new computer, it won't want to run on that.

5. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never had a problem with Fallout 3. My advice is to do some testing and look up the error code. I know some games crash or fail to start because of the monitor resolution not being able to get calibrated. That has a certain behavior that is not like what you describe though.

6. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alrighty, the popup is saying it could not locate the ordinal 42 in the dynamic library of xlive.dll

Sound familiar to anyone?

7. TheBigGay

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people seem to be having some luck with this solution: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-file-xlive-dll-is-missing-in-windows-8

You may also find it helps to run the game in compatibility mode for an older operating system if you're running anything above Windows Vista. Newer versions of Windows (8 in particular) are not very friendly for older games!

8. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sounds like a GFWL issue. Reinstall it and check if F3 starts to play ball, if not come back to us.