1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need an HTML reader for iPad.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Gentlewoman, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Gentlewoman

Out Status:
    A few people
    I recently got a digital copy of Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and each chapter is a separate HTML file. I can't find an app that can read this format, and I have too many files to convert them to PDF. Does anyone know what app can read them, (or where an English version of the book can be obtained in a different file format)?

2. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't tried this, but I think it will work:

1) Install the Kindle app on your iPad
    2) Sign in to your account on Amazon.com and go to Your Account > Manage Content & Devices and then the Your Devices tab.
    3) Click on your iPad's entry and find the corresponding email address
    4) Email the HTML files to that address. They should be immediately converted into a readable format and appear on your list of available books in the Kindle app

I believe HTML is an accepted file format for this but I've only used docx and rtf. I used a real Kindle rather than the app, but I imagine it will work the same way.

3. Ryujin

Can you not view them in your Web browser?

4. Pleione

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There's an English version on Amazon Kindle for 6,99€. Is there a way for me to send my Kindle books to you or are they protected somehow?

5. Gentlewoman

Out Status:
    A few people
    If I remember correctly, you need internet to use the app. I typically read PDFs on the bus, where I lack internet.

I don't know of a way to tell iPad to do that.

It is protected to prevent that. You can get English translations free legally, because a lot of those translations are in the public domain. I have one, it's just in a very inconvenient file format.

#5 Gentlewoman, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  6. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think this is true. You'll need to be connected to access it the first time, but once you do it's downloaded to your device. I just tried loading something on my phone and going into airplane mode and it works fine, even after force-stopping the app.

7. FrenchKid98

(Most of) the Amazon Kindle books are DRM (Digital Rights Management) protected. Removing the DRM protection of Amazon Kindle books is very easy but doing so in order to share the book with someone is technically illegal.
    I believe removing the DRM to make a non protected backup copy for yourself or to read your purchased books on another e-reader, is legal (but I'm not a lawyer and don't know the details of every countries' copyright law). Even if it is illegal where you reside, it is unlikely you'd get in trouble as long as you don't share the files publicly online, such as on a torrent site.
    Personally, I'd recommend to every Kindle owners to create a non protected backup copy of purchased books because there has been cases in the past where there were problems with the rights to sell a book on the Kindle store and Amazon remotely deleted the book without notice from buyers' Kindles (though the people got reimbursed): http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html