1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Up and running with AMD...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Pret Allez, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A while back, there was a poll to see who was on "team" Intel/nVidia or "team" AMD/ATI. Previously, I was on the blue and green, although I think it's silly that there's an assumption that Intel and nVidia have to go together.

One fateful night, I was gaming, and my nVidia GTX 580 physically failed. That was a $580 card back in 2011. :frowning2: An autopsy revealed that the cause of death was heat stress caused by dust-blocked radiator fins. :frowning2:
    [​IMG]

Well, I ended up ordering an AMD R9 290. It runs just fine, although it took a whole LOT of setup to get working under Arch Linux. This is because AMD driver developers are toolbags (even worse an nVidia) who don't care to release drivers in time with xorg-server updates at all.

But I'm very happy about the card itself, not withstanding how inconvenient it was to set up on both Linux and Windows. For only $330, I have a card with about 40% better performance. I can even maybe use it to do some crypto research. :lol:

One thing I learned for sure, is keep your fans clear, and always dust off your internals.

2. Pleione

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh dear, that is dirty :icon_eek:

Going with AMD on Linux probably wasn't a very smart move though, I'm still traumatized by their shitty ATI drivers 10 years ago.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, it was a researched decision. :frowning2: Also, it was about 40% less cost for 40% better performance than what I had. Part of my problem is that I'm using Arch Linux. You get bleeding edge stuff, but you really pay for it in terms of stuff breaking sometimes. I should mention that Xorg breakage has killed me before on nVidia, not just AMD.

Also, AMD has instructions nVidia doesn't that make it good for cryptographic operations like hashing. (People use this for BitCoin and other electricity squanderers, er, I mean "currencies of the future.")

I'm happy with my decision overall. It's forced me to learn some things.

On a side note, I finally got my Corsair wireless headphones working with everything, including Flashplugin. Two simple commands. Say what you want about Lennart Poettering, but pulseaudio and systemd are quite nice...