1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyber Monday and PC builds

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Frostbite, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Frostbite

This is my first time building a PC. I've already ordered my operating system and my CPU. Should I wait for Cyber Monday to get the hard drive, RAM, case, psu, and mobo? What components usually go on sale and what usually don't? I have to wait until next time I'm paid for the gpu I want, so I'm not so concerned with that right now.

2. shinji

shinji Guest

No idea what "Cyber Monday" is, but... regardless of what you are buying, never go for the "just now released" stuff, it's hugely overpriced.

"ordered my os" - I find this extremely funny, for various reasons.

The general rule is that usually, components that are old, or simply crap... go on sales.

As a rule of thumb, one, always orders CPU and motherboard, together. then goes for PSU, case, RAM, Video and... finally, drive and small stuff.

Seriously though, "paying for an os" lol. Sorry! Just... You would understand why this is extremely funny, if you lived where i lived.

3. Frostbite

I only got the cpu when I did because it was 20% off and I couldn't afford to miss that deal. I bought Windows 7 then because I wanted it soon and I got free shipping on the order.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't tease so much, shinji. :frowning2: Not everyone is able to get their proprietary OS for free.

What did you go for? That sounds fun. ^_^ (*hug*)

I'm waiting until January to upgrade my computer. My hardware is pretty good, although I would like to upgrade the motherboard, upgrade to a Haskell-E, and get the DDR4 RAM. Can't wait.

5. starfish

I'm trying to decide between building a system, or just buying a Mac Pro. I already have the monitors on order. I ordered a pair of the Dell P2715Q monitors.

Main thing I need to figure out is what kind of video card I need. I don't game, just general productivity. Still going to take a bit of umph to drive 2 4K monitors at 60hz.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What do you mean by "productivity"? I can still think of legitimate uses for medium to high end cards even if one is not a gamer. For example, cryptographic research.

7. shinji

shinji Guest

I'd go with X290 - something, something. For driving 2x 4k monitors. Also, as said above, cryptographic "research". ATI is kind of ahead of NVIDIA in this department. See the SAPPHIRE TRI-X on Newegg, for example.

8. Frostbite

I'm hoping that the parts I want will go on sale. Some of them are about a year or so old, but I can't afford something like a brand new intel i7 or something like that. I'm just going with a quad-core APU for now, with 8 GB of ram, and next month I'll be getting a nvidia geforce gtx 750 ti. It's good enough to run games. I won't be able to play most games on max settings, but I don't need that. I just want to be able to play the games I got from friends.