1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downgrading Windows 8

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Sartoris, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Today I just got a new Toshiba Satellite laptop from Best Buy and, presumably unsurprisingly, it came with W8 which is irking me quite a bit as I figure alot of people would already understand why. It's actually my first experience with it so I wasn't aware to what extent it'd be like until today, only heard stories about how disliked it is.

But various have suggested that I could possibly downgrade back to W7. So I wanted to know whether this is possible, and if so whether it's fairly straightforward [for someone technologically-challenged like myself] as well as if there are any risks in doing so?

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  3. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

I'm bemused by those who want to downgrade. With Windows 8.1 you can set everything up to work and look like Windows 7.

At the end of the day Windows 8/8.1 is basically Windows 7 under the hood.

4. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ok, also the youtube link and the suggestions I posted at your wall.
    ... Or buy a Linux mag with a cd and give it a try.

5. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wouldn't it be better to just install Classic Shell to make Windows 8 look a lot more like Windows 7? You get a similar user experience to go along with all of the under-the-hood improvements made with Windows 8.

I think Windows 8 gets a lot of unnecessary hate. Yes, switching between the modern UI and the desktop is still kind of jarring, but it's a stable OS and has improved a fair amount since it was first released.

6. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

8.1 also allows you to boot straight to Desktop mode and avoid the Metro UI unless you want to utilise it.

7. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Oooor you could be ahead of the curve and kinda upgrade to W10's Technical Preview :] We are all headed there anyway since so far it looks like the perfect marriage between 7 and 8 so might as well...

8. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

I would advise against using the technical preview as a main operating system. Whilst some people may not have run into issues, others have.

I thought I was one of those without issues but alas I ran into the odd incompatibility.

9. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Relating to some of the above discussion, this is exactly why computer stuff confuses me easily... If some have downgraded to 7, but there's a way to change 8 so it's basically the same but looks like 7.... what are the differences between one option and the other? :confused:

jay: Is that sarcasm? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Vodka: I do want to watch the video you linked soon, was preparing the thread before I read your message. :lol:

Rawr: I might consider that, but need to look into it.