1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you shut down or put to sleep?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Incognito10, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Incognito10

Are you supposed to shut down laptops or put to sleep when not in use? How about IPads? I never shut down my devices (ever). I just put my laptop to sleep and unplug but I seem to have terrible luck with my computers not making it past the 3 year mark before overheating and dying (regardless of brand). So, am I doing something wrong? I handle my laptop very carefully and I've seen people with devices that are much more abused that get double the life before purchasing a new one...

And while I've got your attention, I'll ask about the Pads too--I never shut it off. Should I?

Thanks

2. JessicaWolfess

I always turn off my computers (IN THE OS!!!), saves power, boost longevity of the machine and well not everyone has a ssd and mechanical hard disks can die from being powered 24/7. Not sure about mobile devices though, I have my smart phone on all the time

3. kem

kem

Both, depends really. If it's the weekend and I'm going to open the laptop again in the morning, I usually don't shut it down when I go to bed. I try to shut it down during the week though.

4. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

I shut my computer down like once every 2 or 3 weeks when I'm forced to because of updates but otherwise it's mostly on or in sleep mode. I never shut down my phone nor my tablet either.

5. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Shut down as my desktop system is close to my bed and the noise annoys me.

6. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Funny that you mention the noise, I'm the opposite. The white noise of the fans soothes and lulls me into sleep.

7. DinelodiiGitli

My laptop stays on all day and gets shut down at night. Ever since I updated to Ubuntu Utopic Unicorn it's been acting all kinds of weird. One time I had it asleep in my backpack and it started up by itself and nearly over heated.
    Not making that mistake again.

8. I usually shut down

9. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can go weeks without shutting down my laptop. I've had it about five years and the battery only went out in the last six months. Just needs to be replaced.

10. White Knight

If I am not at home, my computer is not on. Otherwise I keep it open to listen music or such even if I am not playing games.

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In order to save the batteries I shut down my computer and iPhone. If I need an alarm in the morning, I have an ordinary clock radio that also displays the time.

Once the iPhone battery is at 100%, I unplug it, overcharging (overheating really) the battery shortens its life.

12. shinji

shinji Guest

My PC and notebook, run 24/7, while occasionally being restarted for windows updates and various other tasks that require a restart. So far i've had no problems, but then again i'm one of those people that are quite OCD about maintaining their tech. I even lubricate my own fans...

As for noise... A FD Define R4, bunch of FD fans and a Seidon ensure that i can sleep quite peacefully, even though PC is in the same room as bed. As for notebook, well... have to hand it to ASUS, they know how to make good cooling.

13. HageshiLikesAnime

Depending on the device I always keep it in sleep mode but I turn my phone off every week because a surprising amount of updates require your phone to be off

14. JakkenDean

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I almost always shut down my computer. Unless I am leaving it for a very very short amount of time. My computer messes up more when it is put to sleep.
    I get lazy with my iPod and just put it to sleep. I don't feel like turning it off all the time.

15. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My iPod and phone have a routine. I turn them off every night, though usually I never turn them off during the day, just sleep mode (unless I know I'm not going to be using it at all that day for some reason).

The laptop varies. Probably why it's doing so much worse than my mobile devices. If I use it before going to bed, I usually turn it off, but during the day I put it to sleep (thus, if I don't use it at night at all, it usually gets left in sleep mode through the night).

16. pennylane1988

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I'm not home or I'm asleep, my laptop is off. It's kinda old (5 years) and if I don't do that it gets starts going annoyingly slow. I turn off my iPod too if I'm not using it. My smartphone is on 24/7 though.

17. CyanChachki

I shut down my computer but not my cellphone.

18. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I shut down everything except my iPod :slight_smile:

19. Hatsune Miku

I put my laptop in sleep mode until I go to bed at which point I turn it completely off.

20. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Your suppose to turn it off?