1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone build an arcade cabinet?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by piano71, Dec 4, 2014.

1. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Has anyone here built an arcade cabinet?

I'm thinking of building one up. Yesterday, I ordered the X-Arcade Tankstick with trackball ($50 OFF: X-Arcade Tankstick + Trackball: USB Included | Xgaming X-Arcade).

For those who prefer console to PC gaming, X-Arcade offers adapters to use their joystick/trackball panel with most consoles (except the most recent generation Xbox and PS4).

Then I started looking at cabinet kits from Rec Room Masters (Premium XL Arcade Cabinet For The X-Arcade Tankstick | Back Lit Header Xtension Arcade Cabinet at RecRoom Masters). I like the idea of a cabinet kit as it takes a modern LCD monitor (VESA mount) and computer, and you drop in the X-Arcade Tankstick and have an arcade machine!

Now I know there are some people who stripped out old cabinets and made custom control panels, but I don't have the woodworking skills to do things like that. Though I do wish the X-Arcade had a spinner control option for paddle-based games like Tempest or Arkanoid...

2. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No but I have this sort of fantasy about one day opening an arcade.

3. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Never dreamed of opening a video game arcade as a business, though I've read they're beginning to make a comeback. Throughout the 1990s-2000s it seemed most of them closed down, and I only saw 1-2 machines in pizza parlors or movie theaters, a far cry from the heyday in the 1980s when arcades had dozens - if not hundreds - of machines.

But having unlimited games to play for free, well that was a dream I've had for a while...