1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The KOTOR Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ZenMusic, Dec 7, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

Here's a few questions to get started :

When Was The First Time You Played KOTOR 1 and 2?

Who Was Your Favourite/Most Hated Chracter and Why?

What Did You Learn From KOTOR?

What Was Your Favourite Installment and Why?

Do you prefer the SWTOR MMO or would you want a KOTOR 3?

What was your favourite part of each game?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Both around the time they came out. I remember liking 1 more for its story and 2 more for its gameplay and the fact that it had a white lightsaber and real Jedi robes. XD

My favorite character was the Handmaiden. She was gorgeous, fierce, fundamentally good, and extremely self-aware. The kind of woman that would blow me away irl hehe. Least favorite: G0-T0. He wasn't even deliciously evil; he was just a dick who would screw people over because that's what he does. And he probably wasn't even a real person, just an AI inside the black droid.

I learned that morality is not a simple concept. It is nebulous, far-reaching, and seeking it causes one to question oneself. But it is among the noblest pursuits. And that Force-users are f**kin' boss. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My favorite has to be the first one though. It really had no shortcomings. A video game magazine gave it a 10/10 rating and even a decade later, I can't disagree. More games should follow its example.

SWTOR is a sickly shadow of what a third single-player game could be. Star Wars Galaxies was shut down for being weird and hollow, and I can't help but think they totally dropped the ball on the second MMO too. They need to put it behind them and get serious with KotOR 3, and if I had my way, they'd keep the combat system of the first two.

My favorite part of the first game was the segment on the Rakata planet. Just gorgeous to look at and emotions were running high while Bastila was Malak's prisoner. Favorite part of the second? Probably fighting Nihilus, but what I liked more about the second game was the thought-provoking discussions with all the party members. I liked Kreia's wisdom, Visas' ruminations on the Force, and of course, training with the Handmaiden.

Before KotOR I thought Star Wars was awesome, but afterwards, I would forever be a diehard fan.

3. ZenMusic

I got KOTOR 2 when I was 9 and KOTOR when I was 12.

I liked Mission because of the simple fact that she reminds me of me now. I did not like Carth and his constant moaning, had a strong urge to leave him on Abo, or Lehon or Rakata Prime or whatever that planet was called. Kreia was my favourite character because the Jedi and the Sith are just as bad as each other the way I see it, and if we had more people like Kreia and Jolee in the galaxy (maybe a lot less power-hungry, duplicit pseudo-Sith would be nice) then maybe there'd be a lot less wars. Hanharr was far too mad for his own good.

I, Too, learned that the world is not as black and white as some believe it to be. And I learned a sh*tload of words.

I wouldn't have minded something like SWTOR down the line, but it is not KOTOR 3 for me and it is not KOTOR 3 for me and it isn't KOTOR 3 for a lot of people, nor is that awful Revan book. The class system from SWTOR would be nice in KOTOR 3 too. I'm not going to spoil Shadow Of Revan for you, but I don't think fans are going to take kindly to it.

I loved the entire Taris story arc, shame Taris still isn't restored to it's former glory after 300 years. I loved Nar Shadaa and Onderon in the second one.

4. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not going to stick completely to your questions but I played both games as soon as they came out. Oh man, I loved KOTOR. I'm not so sure about KOTOR 2 though. Obviously it wasn't developed by Bioware and wasn't given nearly as much time in development. I found a lot of the locations empty and a little boring, compared to the original.

I really didn't see the twists of the first one's story coming. It was the first time I played a game and remember being really surprised by the story. I thought for a long time that KOTOR story was actually better than the prequel films. HK-47 is always hilarious.

I would absolutely buy KOTOR 3 in an instant. I'm not an MMO fan so I stayed away from Old Republic and from what I've heard that's probably for the best?

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Picture the most generic MMO you can imagine, and have it look vaguely like Star Wars. Put in some sick-ass cutscenes (they did actually look very good) and there it is.

I might not be totally fair to the game because I only played for a day, but it was just a grind-fest like any other. At the danger of becoming an anti-MMO rant, the thing I disliked most was the feeling that you were a wholly insignificant flunky in a never-ending conflict. In the single-player games, the player is important. Here, you just kill things and complete quests for XP, but no faction ever makes progress.

6. White Knight

I played KotOR very late from its release. It was good even for a guy like me who never liked Star Wars franchise. I think I played second one an hour or so and felt game is terribly lacking (it is very familar feeling with Obsidian... same happens with NWN 2 as well).

It was long time ago so can't remember a thing about the games. Played SW:TOR couple of months ago. Thanks to their weird update mechanics I get cold feet from game. Game is very good and also liked how party content etched into game... tho didn't go so far in the game. I can say it shows pretty well that it is a Bioware game. Yes there is your generic MMO crap but they are usually forgiven with interesting story lines. While many don't praise consular story line, I liked it. Especially lady playing your Master. However red side Sith arcs are villainously delicious. Most of the time game felt like Star Wars the Old Republic: Origins.

7. Rainbows~Exist

I've never got round to playing KOTOR but have played (and love) KOTOR 2. The backstory, the interesting characters (That's you Kreia and Atton...), the character development. Everything about this game is great.

P.S. Atton's hot. I hate the fact that you can't build any romantic relationships in the game :/

#7 Rainbows~Exist, Dec 8, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  8. Q-Tip

I just love how the shorting of the name sounds like some one screeching. KOOOTORR!

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At least it's not as bad as trying to abbreviate the upcoming Hobbit movie. It would have to be TBotFA read as "Ta bot' fah" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. littlemonster11

I think I started playing KOTOR 1 around 2004/2005. My uncle had the game and I was intrigued, so I started playing it. And I was hooked ever since!

I can't pinpoint when I started playing KOTOR 2 exactly. I may have already started high school when I played it, so 2007/2008?

Hmm, this is a tough one.

KOTOR 1
    Jolee is definitely a favorite of mine. Apart from his wisdom, he was hilarious!

KOTOR 2
    Atton is another favorite of mine. His past and personality are interesting. Plus, I find him cute. :icon_redf lol!

I really liked Mira too! She was just a badass!

A character I disliked the most was G0-T0, hands down. I agree, he wasn't interesting. And he had nothing to offer that I found useful in the game, so I never brought him along, haha!

Shout out to Bastila for being my first video game crush! :redface:

I learned that there was more than just the Light Side and Dark Side. Jolee played a role in that, so that's why he's one of my favorite characters. I've applied that to life as well. Both sides are too extreme. The world is definitely not black and white, in my opinion.

The MMO has its perks, from what I can remember, but I was highly disappointed that they didn't make a KOTOR 3. That would've been nice to see.

Besides the storyline? I would say I enjoyed the scenery of the planets as well as the music from the game.