1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting way to get a message across

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by gazwkd, Dec 12, 2014.

1. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

[YOUTUBE]iN6Wc-9r3l4[/YOUTUBE]

2. White Knight

For me it is not interesting, it is just wrong.

I hate this kind of publicity stunts.

3. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

I don't see why it's wrong. It harms nobody and gets a point across.

Sometimes a bit of a shock factor is necessary to get through to people.

4. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

Agreed. If a heavy dose of reality is what it takes to get people off their butts to go make a change, so be it.

I would agree with White Knight had this been a sensationalist made-up story, but it's not. It's a sad reality that's happening to a lot of kids out there and closing your eyes and pretending it's not happening won't make it go away.

Did it make your stomach churn? Did it make you feel sick to your guts? Congrats! That means you are a compassionate human being. Now go put that compassion to use and help someone in need.

#4 Rawrzilla, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2014
  5. White Knight

No I am not against the idea however to me target audience shouldn't be gamers.

Those people are there to enjoy and get away from whatever their problems are in real life... did you notice Spider-man in the audience?

Unicef is part of UN so I think it should be pulling this trick on National Leaders or maybe celebrities during Academy Awards? That will turn the news around and will make real difference.

6. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

[​IMG]

Great point. I can agree with this.

I'm ok with the method, but, as you mentioned, there are more favorable circumstances to spread the same message and get better results. I can see how, in this scenario, it could backfire on them by coming across as basically a scare tactic on unsuspecting convention-goers that didn't really deserve to be mislead into this under the pretense of safe fun.

7. White Knight

Also there is that underlying disturbingly insulting mindset in work... maybe?

Gamers picked as target audience because those guys kill for fun (in games), love voilence and totting guns without knowing what it really means. So let's show them the truth, let make those suckers realize what real life is.

All other forms of entertainment are considered as art so they doesn't deserve the mean treatment gaming slackers should get. Even the ones like that highly praised documentary which they allow a whole flock of birds(here is hoping naturally) left to die by a fire in name of art/science...

Those are just my thoughts. For making things more clearer.

8. shinji

shinji Guest

So if it didn't then... what? I don't agree with your logic here.
    Agree completely!

Back when I was starting up with photography, we had a class where we studied famous photographers and we talked about a person named Kevin Carter. For reasons, I won't link to his photos but I'm sure a simple Google search would suffice.

Basically, the idea this person had when taking his photos is that, it's more important to get the "job" done and report on what is happening, than to actually involve yourself in the situation, and maybe, just maybe... contribute to a positive result.

The idea that letting people know of the injustice being done in the world, is more important than the life of a single human being... Terrible things happens all the time, one must weigh in what the best action would be for the greater good.

While i do agree with White Knight, about gamers not being the ideal audience for such a public stunt, in the end it's better than nothing. Even if one person's mind is influenced by this, then it was worth it.

Kevin Carter committed suicide at the age of 33.

9. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

War is very often glorified in video games, this isn't a bad way of showing the other side.

"Sharpe said that stunts like this are uncharacteristic of UNICEF, but it felt it was the only way to reach an audience that would otherwise be content to look the other way."