1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you name your characters?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Quiet Raven, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Quiet Raven

When you can name yourself whatever you want, what names do you tend to use? Your own name? If so, what do you do when your gender is not an option?

As for me, if I can play as a girl, I will name her Raven, or Natalie, as I did in Pokemon Y. Although in Persona 3 Portable, I just decided to use "Minako" just to have a Japanese name. If I can only play as a guy, I will usually use my given name. If I am playing a Zelda game I just use Link though.

#1 Quiet Raven, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  2. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use my own name (Anastasia, Anna, or Ana) or sometimes Yuri.

I've never played a game where I cannot play as a girl. But if I could only play as a guy I'd use Matthew. That's the name my mom would've given me if I were male, and I kinda like it.

3. Sapphire

Sapphire Guest

For this forum I named myself Sapphire, because that's my favorite color and it also happens to be the birthstone of one of my favorite months, September.

4. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Spitzer Swallows, I Am Björk., and Skizzletits are names I've used before. If given a limited amount of characters for a name, I'll default to the basics (Faggot, Bitch, Slut, Boner, Tits, Titjob, etc).

5. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Usually just stick to the basic use-my-own-name, which is intentionally gender-neutral so works both ways. Occasionally I'll use the name of a story character of my own that I'm attached to if I want to roleplay/play based off of their persona.

6. Clancularius

Clancularius Guest

Usually if I'm playing as female I will either use Artemis(Greek goddess) or get some random name, if I'm playing online I use Nemo. When I have to play as male I usually use Apollo since he's Artemis's brother in Greek mythology.

7. Water lover

Water lover Guest

I normally pick a name I have used for like eveything because it's pretty unique and I love it or I just do random letters.

8. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

After my own original story characters, depending on which character I feel like playing in the game

9. JustKat

For male characters Cade or Hartley. Girls either Lily or Kate

10. PurpleDude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I never use my own name, not that I'm ashamed of it or anything. the whole idea is that it's a fantasy/just a game so I usually use a name from movies/tv/books/etc. depends on my mood and what type of game it is I suppose.

just as an example, the very first World of Warcraft character I created was a human paladin that I named Cadogan. for those that don't recognize the name, Sir Cadogan is a knight that inhabits one of the paintings inside Hogwarts in the Harry Potter books. the character doesn't have a huge part in the series, I just have always cracked up reading the parts he's in so the name stuck with me.

#10 PurpleDude, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  11. Silver Springs

I'm tragic, so I name my characters after long dead poets. I'm sure that Lord Byron would be very amused.

12. C P

C P

I always give my characters my name, so it's kinda fortunate to have a (mostly) unisex name, though I usually pick male characters.

On the occasion I play as a female character, for some unknown reason, I choose the name 'Jessica'.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Depends on the game.

If I know a little about the lore, I may go with an authentic-enough name. Skyrim is a good example of this.

If a character has a "real name" but their default is a nickname/alias, sometimes, I'll rename them the "real name".

In fantasy-themed games, I tend to go with Gwendolyn (or "Gwen" for short) for females.

The only time I'll use my actual name, in a game, is for Poke'mon. But even that isn't absolute, as I'll sometimes pick something I like/at random.

14. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For most games I go under the alias of 'Celapalais'. I remember getting it form an XBOX game Last Remnant... which was bad... but they had a city called Celepalais and I thought it sounded cool so I used it... Well I used it wrong... and I typed it up as Cela-, instead of Cele-, and that's what I stuck with ever since...

Interestingly it also means 'the palace' or some-sort in French, a portmantaeu of 'ce le palais' pushed together.

15. Mischief

Mischief Guest

I tend to use punny names when I can, but if it's an MMORPG like WoW say, I'll use an RP name

16. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In lore-focused RPGs, like The Elder Scrolls series, I use lore-like names. Except for Argonians, as I always name them Dances-with-Wolves.

If it's a futuristic game (like Mass Effect) I'll use Eobard (after Reverse-Flash), or Michael John (after Booster Gold).
    If the game is based in the late 1800's or early 1900's I'll use Solomon.
    If it's a medieval-esque RPG (like Dragon Age) I'll use Cassius.
    If they're female, I'll use Callista, Florence or Colette.
    If they're male, I'll use J.R. (my first two initials), Joaquin (the name my mother almost gave me), Ewan (the other name my mother almost gave me), Ryker, or Linden (after Trevor Linden).

17. JessicaWolfess

XxXnarutofan420blazeitm80gitgudXxX is a female khajit who mainly attacks with two handed warhammers and t-bags everyone's house at night. Rumors tell that she leaves chocolate buttons in the shoes of good little children around christmas time

18. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'm normally a lazy fuck and go with the default or google common names for the race/clasd if its an rpg. For example my last Skyrim char who was a redguard, I named Cameron, since it was the coolest/cutest sounding in the list I pulled up imo~

19. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Either my real name or Chow (idk how that started :3)

20. Ryu

Ryu

Since I got sapphire version (not alpha sapphire mind) A few months back I've called myself Cohen. I got it from a diskworld book that was lying on my shelf. I take most of my names from books, as an example, I got Ryu from a Young Samurai book... I think...