1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Games with GSM characters?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by mabes, Dec 30, 2014.

1. mabes

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love video games and I love representation, but there never seems to be enough of them together. I've compiled a list of a few to start off with but you guys would probably know more. :icon_bigg

Mass Effect Trilogy (you can choose your own gender and sexuality, lots of in game NPC's are also gay)
    Dragon Age Franchise (same as above)
    Star Wars: The Old Republic (haven't played it myself but I assume it's the same as ME/DA/every other Bioware game)
    Gone Home (you'll see :icon_wink)
    Persona 4 (one gay character and another possibly genderqueer character)
    Read Only Memories (haven't played it but its cast is filled with GSM)
    Loren: The Amazon Princess (choose your gender and sexuality, it's not a game for everyone though)
    Coming Out On Top (gay dating sim, looking forward to playing it myself :lol:slight_smile:

For these I'm really reaching...
    The Sims
    Street Fighter (Poison is transgender)
    Super Mario Bros 2 1988 (Birdo is transgender)
    Bully (the bully can smooch other boys)
    AC: Brotherhood (Leonardo Da Vinci)
    Fallout: New Vegas (some NPC's and companions are openly gay and you can choose to be as well, it has little effect on the game but it's a nice touch)
    Fallout 3 (one lesbian ghoul couple haha)
    The Last of Us: Left Behind (it's small but it's there :slight_smile:)

So, yeah. Anyone else have any more to add? :icon_bigg

---------- Post added 31st Dec 2014 at 02:06 AM ----------

Oh and I forgot these, both independently developed by Anna Anthropy:
    Dys4ria (autobiography of her transition)
    Encyclopedia Fuckme and the Case of the Vanishing Entree (choose your own adventure style lesbian dating sim)

Both are free and take like 5min each so they're well worth your time. Enjoy!

#1 mabes, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  2. 101DeadRoses

Where are the Lesbian ghouls in Fallout 3?

God, I love Fallout.

3. mabes

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Greta and Carol :lol:
    It's subtle and easy to miss but they're there :slight_smile:

4. AsheTheHuman

Poison from Street Fighter / Final Fight
    Originally a biological female in Japan, Capcom made her trans in the localized version of the original Final Fight in order to appease parents who might be uneased by the fact that their children are beating up girls. Of course, the reasoning is incredibly offensive and demeaning, but she stands as one of the first trans characters in gaming. Hardcore fighting game enthusiasts and video game historians alike debate to this day about whether or not she is trans.

Birdo from Super Mario Bros. 2 USA
    Birdo is definitely trans, at least in the original Super Mario Bros. 2 USA. The game manual for SMB2 USA states the following about Ostro Birdo...
    He thinks he is a girl, and he spits eggs from his mouth. He'd rather be called Birdetta.
    That's... mildly offensive too actually. The manual goes out of it's way to make her trans and then use the wrong name and pronouns, but I digress. Since then, no mention of her gender has been brought up, and it's widely thought by fans that her status as trans has been retconned.

5. mabes

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh man. I've never played those games myself so I've never heard of their problematic origins until now. Thank you for pointing that out. :O

6. White Knight

Sky and Silver Fox from Jade Empire

Justiciar from Champions Online. It is not mentioned in game but in PnP game lore he is gay.

7. Yosia

On Fable III (and maybe the other ones? I haven't played them,) you can have same-sex relationships. :3

8. ZenMusic

You get gender specific factions in SWTOR, Lesbians for Republic and Gay Men for Empire. This is just Makeb. You get a few SS flirts along the way too for both factions. All companuon romances are straight, though.

9. Quiet Raven

Catherine has a trans woman. Very subtle. But it is there. Which I think is really cool.

One of the playable characters in Senran Kagura is a lesbian.

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was less than two hours into DA: Inquisition before I ended up flirting with another guy. Who knew an agricultural society in the grips of a demonic invasion could be so modern? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In Skyrim you can marry a man or woman indisciminately.

In the Borderlands series, most Sanctuary NPCs are gay or lesbian. Axton the Commando, Mr. Torgue, Mad Moxxi, and probably Nisha the Lawbringer are bisexual, Maya the Siren is asexual, Janey Springs and perhaps Tiny Tina are lesbian, and Sir Hammerlock is gay.

In The Last of Us, Bill, is gay, and in the Left Behind DLC you find out Ellie is a lesbian.

In Assassin's Creed II, Leonardo Da Vinci is implied to be gay. The Da Vinci Disappearance DLC confirms this.

In the Mass Effect trilogy, both Shepards are able to have gay or straight relationships. Liara T'Soni, Samara, Morinth, Kelly Chambers, Sha'ira, and Kaidan Alenko (in the third one) are bisexual, and Steve Cortez and Sam Traynor are gay and lesbian, respectively.

In Dragon Age II, all love interests are bisexual.

In Dragon Age: Inquisition, Iron Bull and Josephine Montilyet are bisexual, and Dorian and Sera are gay and lesbian, respectively.

12. Gay Cody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    State of Decay The characters Jacob and Eli, are a gay couple, you have to save them trapped in a barn after Jacob twists his ankle and radios for help, Jacob then tells Eli that he's not ashamed of being around him, implying that they're a couple.

13. White Knight

I don't know how can I forget one of the earliest same sex characters in western games... Bertram from Temple of Elemental Evil.

I don't know where to put him tho'. He spawns in two instances... one in Nulb outdoors and one in Tavern.

Outdoor one is more easily to notice and as one quests leads you to him it is the most common one to bump into. This version of character is gay. A cabin boy for a tough pirate you have to beat or use wits to get him freed. If you get him free and want he will join your party and on ending cutscenes you two shown as married couple.

Tavern one is straight and you should approach with a female character... If his story stays the same that make him bi. I never tried to woe him with a female tho so can't be sure.

Also thanks to Co8 group and their fan made updates you can now have a lesbian love interest as well which was cut from the original release.

14. Tardis2020

Toad from the Mario franchise was recently revealed to be non-binary.

15. ChameleonSoul

Not to mention Flak and Shrapnel and their "business partnership"...

16. Lazuri

That was reportedly miss translated, though.

Sureprised nobody mentioned Nier. If I recall correctly there's a fairly important character in it who is a FtM transgender.

17. Q-Tip

Did you seriously just mention Poison!? You know she is only transgender because they thought its okay to beat transgender people up but not just women? She is the definition of terrible representation.

---------- Post added 6th Jan 2015 at 07:58 PM ----------

For every good solid LGBT+ character there are like 3 more rapist, serial killers, and "mentally ill" supposed LGBT+ characters. It pisses me off a lot.
    Here is someone with more smart things then me.
    [YOUTUBE]XdmJXHJLZ6M[/YOUTUBE]

18. Hiems

Not sure if this counts, but Persona 4 has some characters that could be interpreted as being a GSM.

Kanji acts awkwardly when other characters allude to his potential sexual interest in guys. I would think a straight guy who is comfortable with his sexuality would just make it clear that he's only into girls, but he doesn't do that. Instead, he just blushes and/or goes on a temper tantrum. So I feel like he could be bi or gay due to his reaction to comments about his speculated sexuality. That was never confirmed in the game, though.

Naoto is biologically female, but due to interest in the police force, which is primarily male driven, Naoto presents as male to society. And Naoto's dungeon involves sex reassignment surgery because there is an operating table at the end, which could mean Naoto is trans male. But that was never confirmed in the game either. Mind you, I am aware that SRS is not necessary for someone to be trans.

I wish the creators of the game made characters who were explicitly LGBT. Oh well, maybe Persona 5 would have one of those.

19. Jellal

In Mother 3, I'm pretty sure one of the characters points out that the Magypsies are neither man nor woman. Over the years I got to like them and their family dynamic with Kumatora more and more.

Mother 3 is also the best game I've played bar none. It needs an official english release.

20. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility has a gay character named, Julius. There's another game in the franchise with another seemingly gay male character.

Mario games: Birdo is thought of as being the first transgendered character for Nintendo.

In the Animal Crossing series, there's a character that many think may be Trans.

7 Trans-Friendly Video Game Characters | Out Magazine

Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door: Vivian - Transgender

LGBT characters in video games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia