1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Phones

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Tai, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm getting a new phone today. It's my parents' Christmas gift to each other (planned, of course). And I get one too. Right now I own a Samsung SCH-R630. Still rocking the slider phone, and have been for maybe three years. It came as a replacement for the phone before that, which got dropped in water. Honestly, I use my iPod more because I can't reach the Internet with my phone.

I am interested in long battery life, and good Internet. I already have a real camera, so the phone camera doesn't matter much to me. (It does to my parents, though.) I initially wanted a smartphone with a physical keyboard, but I saw the prices, and just, no. If you know of one that is pretty cheap, I'm all ears! I don't like the on-screen keyboards as much...

So, what kind of phones do you guys have, if you have one? And is there any particular phone you would suggest to a smartphone newbie?

2. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My sister always uses a Samsung galaxy which she likes. I use a Sony xeperia M2 which is a nice phone. It's ment to be indestructible.

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and I'm in love with it. Great battery life, especially if I don't use a lot of apps. It does have an on-screen keyboard, though I've gotten used to it pretty easily. My roommate has a Galaxy S5. Her battery life is pretty fantastic and she seems to love it.

4. 741852963

Well the "king" of the budget smartphone world for the last few years has been the Motorola Moto G.

Its not marketed a "premium" phone but it does punch way above its weight (its comparable in some areas to phones twice its price) with regards to battery, screen and processor. Its slightly let down by the basic camera but if you have a seperate one then thats not a dealbreaker. Its marketed as "splash resistant" (not waterproof though) too which sounds good for you. Heres it being tested for that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVaTKG5q4YI

The only other comparables at that price point would be the Xperia M2 (plasticky and cheap feeling in my opinion), the Samsung GS4 Mini (samsungs seem pretty solid), the Asus Zenphone or the Nokia Lumia 735.

Have a look at these models, read some reviews, see how they are priced in your area, and see how they feel to you in a phone store if you can. If none of them really meet your needs you might have to raise your budget a bit.

#4 741852963, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  5. Ryujin

Earlier in the month I swapped over to an LG G3

6. Psaurus918

I currently have an iPhone 5s. The battery lasts me all day but I rarely talk on the phone. I use it mostly for texts, email, browsing the web and taking pictures.

My friend recently got the 6+ and he says the battery life is amazing. He's constantly on the phone.

Smart phones are like cars. Everyone has their favorite brand and everyone has good/bad stories about each others brand. Personally I'd never use anything that runs the Android OS, but if I did it would be the HTC One M8 its built solid (not plastic).

7. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd be happy enough with my basic phone but it's on its last legs, so getting a new one seems unavoidable. I wanted to get one whilst the January sales were still on and went into store, waited over an hour to speak to someone about the model I'd been looking at only to find it was not in stock and has most likely been discontinued. :bang:

8. Rikudou

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Xperia Z2 is a good alternative to an iPhone. There are not a lot of phones worth mentioning that have a physical keyboard. For longevity you should always consider the screen size together with the battery capacity. Samsung phones are good in this regard as they offer big interchangeable batteries together with smaller screens on the S series. Alternatively you might consider Oppo.

9. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have an iPhone 5s it was cheaper than the other phone I was using...no complaints really

10. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Huh, looks like a lot of Samsung users here. I'm actually getting a phone later today, not yesterday, so any other suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys!

11. Bolin

I have an LG Volt 4G LTE with Virgin Mobile. I absolutely love this phone. Its battery life surprisingly long, and it has really great internet speed (which is probably because it's a 4G phone).

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just recently got an iPhone 6 and I love it! I had an iPhone 4S before. It's much better... so much improved on everything. That said, if you're on a budget, some of the older iPhone versions are free under contract... I could have gotten an iPhone 5 for free. The iPhone 4S was still great. The only two smartphones I've had is an iPhone 4S and 6 so I don't have experience with other phones. But if you get an iPhone I don't think you'll be disappointed about anything really. :slight_smile:

13. treatmeright

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can't think of any smartphone with physical keyboard except BlackBerry but I don't know if it's affordable in your country.

14. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On the topic of physical keyboards. I never thought I would get used to the touch screen keyboard but you get used to it very quickly especially if you use it as much as I do. Now I can type very quickly on it. However, I do have to kinda keep an eye on what I'm typing since it isn't as accurate as when you can feel the buttons.

15. Yosia

I'm still rocking the iPhone 4. It's good, but it seems to struggle with newer apps meant for the later phones with higher processing requirements. I need a phone which is drop-proof though, as I seem to drop them at least once a day. :lol: