1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Character Creation in Games

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Okulous, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Okulous

In games where you can create your own character, what gender do you usually choose for your character? What talents do you give your character? Why?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I usually am a female that has high computer and hacking skills and is a good sniper. I do this because I value precision when I am in combat.

2. Rainbows~Exist

I do exactly the same :thumbsup:

However I'll occasionally make a female assassin/stealth character.

#2 Rainbows~Exist, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  3. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I prefer DPS characters and either the really fast one or the all-around good person

As far as gender I usually try to make my characters all different so like

In FO3 I made my character a male like me, then in Destiny it's a female, then whenever I get around to playing skyrim it'll probably be a male again

4. Nikky DoUrden

Gender almost always male at first playthrough.
    And I always try to "have it all" when i play so i'll take skills that might not be for combat directly but help me solve quest in different ways ... some games dont really have that and i'll go for the DPS type, mage or warrior depends on the game :grin:

5. Seige

Almost always female, If I cant be super pretty IRL, Then I might as well be in game right? Haha.
    I tend to make stealth characters, or snipers in FPS games. One of my favorite characters was my female shepard in ME1-3. She was a vaguard and just...awesome.

6. TheRealKanekiK

When I first play I tend to make my character look like me(I choose female since I look more feminine) but after that my characters are just OCs or feminine girls/guys. Also I prefer archer and rogue/thief in old fantasy settings.

7. Yosia

I usually make a female character and will go for the fast, accurate type.

8. Lazuri

Female. Always.

In fantasy settings I will usually go for the sword & board type or, if I play with others, support type.

In modern and sci-fi settings I usually go for the pure soldier. I picked soldier in Mass Effect, for example.

Creating characters is on of my favorite things to do in video games and it takes a long time for me to get through a character creation menu. I'm quite good at it if I dare say so myself.

9. Jellal

Character creation is most fun in tabletop games, which I got into fairly recently.

If I'm serious about making my character, trying to get invested and immersed, then I'll pick female. As far as character type goes, I wouldn't say there's one build I like more than another. I've had fun with a speedy, greedy rogue, a creepy squishy witch, and an altruistic determinator paladin.

10. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I play as a guy 65% of the time, and almost always on my first playthrough. I'm always a tank on my first playthrough, as well. They MUST be able to deal the damage and take it, too.

In games like TES, Dragon Age, etc. I go for two-handed or dual-wield swords. I only wear heavy armour, and never wear helmets.

In games modern or sci-fi games, I usually go for the soldier or engineer types. I usually played Axton the Commando and Salvador the Gunzerker in BL2, and usually played Sentinel, Engineer, and Soldier in ME.

11. LibertyValance

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am always male and always go for whatever is most "Knightly", in games where you can customize appearance and name I always try and make a replica of Peter O'Toole as Don Quixote and play as a knight/knight like class and name the character Don Quixote.

12. Lazuri

How do you expect to finish literally any game like that?

If you haven't played Dragon's Dogma I really suggest you do. The game let's you customize not only your char, but also a companion character. You can make Don Quixote and Sancho Panza.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

85% of the time, I go with a female. The other 15% will either be a male, or as close to androgynous as possible, just to add some variety.

Despite their nature, some of the best character creation can be found in, surprisingly, the WWE games. Yes, I know, wrestling, but they really do have a lot of customization options in their Create-A-Wrestler area. Hell, you can customize your own Arenas and make your own Logos, or just download them offline from the Community Creations. Also, it's nice to be able to painstakingly customize the move-sets, allowing you to be as accurate to reality as you want, or push it to the finest athletic prowess possible.

As for attributes, I tend to prefer quick and lethal. I take to the school of 'if you can kill them before they kill you, you're fine'. But I'll have a little defense invested, because you never know what could happen. Still, stealth is my preferred method, when permissible in a game. When it comes to fighting games, I much prefer being quick and decisive with my attacks.

14. Hiems

Usually female, unless the characters are gender-locked or the male characters are physically attractive -cough- male Castanic in TERA -cough- :lol:

I usually pick magic-based, whether it's offensive like mages or defensive like clerics.

15. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Last D&D game I was in, don't laugh, this past New Years Eve, I picked the Ranger. Always wanted to be a Ranger. This prebuilt character was female. I started rather butch, but by the middle, after chemical enhancements, beer, wine, and such, I was being very effeminate...

Best attack was with 2 swords running by the monsters, but I was getting such crappy rolls that I basically was play acting running by the monster flailing my two short swords, screaming the whole way. (First level Ranger, first adventure, it sort of fit my mood.)

Just getting into the role though. I'm just a guy who can love anyone.

Call of Duty my character is basic rugged older guy. I always go for the biggest, largest machine gun available. (And no I can honestly say I'm not compensating for anything.) If you're gonna shoot at people in a deathmatch, I want the farthest fastest reach with the most bullets. I've become adept at walking/jumping auto fire onto target, from increasing distance. Really want to form an squad of altEs (how about that for a new category of sexuality, everyone who isn't 100% straight or 100% gay. We all Experience life differently, but we can still try to empathize with others.) Wouldn't that be a cool little clique of gamers.

Mostly I play male though. Been a poet, a paladin, a thief, a thug, barbarian, star lord, guild leader on Command and Conquer: Tiberium Sun. (Exit question: Does anyone actually like being a guild leader?)

#15 kindy14, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  16. Wolf of The Baltic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me it depends on the game

Sc-fi: a female tank because screw gender stereotypes

Skyrim esque: anything but human(to generic) and usually a tank or Mage

17. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

races - always half something in D&D (1/2 elf always appealed visually)

18. Rikudou

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually go for the most feminine looking male character. As for my skills, usually I go into ranged combat.

19. Leliana

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I always make my characters female unless of course thats not an option. I usually pick a warrior class and in fantasy games I like choosing elves if possible (dragon age anyone? ^^)

20. sheepishgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    female, high diplomatic skills (also science when available), usually pretty dexterous with a fair amount of strenght (think lightly armored warrior dual weilding swords in fantasy rpg's, or Gun/Science/Speech oriented character clad in power armor in Fallout, or Infiltrator in Mass Effect)

Morality wise, I like my characters evil. Can't help it. :3 (sometimes I also go for the jerk with a heart of gold trope tho)