1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Card Help

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GreyArchery, Jan 7, 2015.

1. GreyArchery

Hello Tech friends!

I recently moved from an apartment to a house, and ever since I seem to be having huge issues with my wireless card and internet connectivity.

I've an HP Pavilion dm4 laptop model that is about 3-4 years old now.
    Intel i5-2520M CPU @ 2.5 GHz processor.
    64-bit Windows 7 OS.

I can connect to the wifi but either have to reset the connection every 30 minutes or so. Sometimes I can have a good connection for a few hours, other times it takes 15 mins to load up a webpage. Doesn't matter where I am in the house - upper floor, main floor, basement, right next to the router/modem - same result.

This is the only place I have connectivity issues. I can take the laptop anywhere else - friends, coffee shops, etc - and I can connect and use the internet with virtually no lag or issue. This makes it very frustrating seeing as I have a job that requires a solid internet connection.

If anyone could offer advice on how to fix this issue I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks
    Alyx

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seems like the problem is with your router or modem rather than your wireless card. I had a wonky wireless card and I was getting booted offline everywhere, not just one specific place.

3. GreyArchery

Thanks for the info! I don't know if I'll be able to swap out the modem/router - my roommates have some all-in-one box thingy from Comcast, so it does the internet, cable, and phone.

Would a signal booster help at all, if the modem/router can't be switched out?

4. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A signal booster would not help since problems still happen right next to router. Comcast should be able to switch it out the modem if your having problems.

Do your roommates have a similar problem?

5. GreyArchery

They said before I moved in that they didn't notice any issues. But since I've arrived, they've been having issues as well - nowhere near as often as mine, however.

6. JessicaWolfess

Are the drivers for the adaptor installed? I assume since you said laptop your using a usb wireless adaptor and not a pci one.....The device maybe not getting enough power from your laptop? but as people have said before it seems more than likely to be your modem

You also may have the same issue I have where the wiring for the internet in your entire town/city/block/neighbourhood could be dodgy and is made for 90s dial up speeds not modern faster adsl speeds so it glitches up. Just my two cents

#6 JessicaWolfess, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015