1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Longest stretch of coding without little to no sleep

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by kindy14, Jan 9, 2015.

1. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

So, not that my job is requiring it, I'm being nice to my company and customers. (I'm gracious in a twisted way sometimes.)

I am working a bunch of hours over the weekend to optimize our companies check writing software.

So I was wondering for all of you coders, what has been your longest period of work with little to no sleep.

Mine was at a conversion with several new features in the beta of our next release payroll software. Spent a lot of time trying to figure out if errors were in source data, source software, our conversion program, our data, or our software.

Project took 2 1/2 weeks on site to resolve. First week I got 30 hours sleep in 5 days. Second week it was probably as little as 10-15 hours in 5 days. Last 2 days was 20 hours w/ 2 hours sleep, then in the car to get from Indiana to Connecticut during Thanksgiving.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ouch... We worked 16 hour days for a couple weeks at some points of the year, but that was it.

Also, coding in the wee hours considered harmful.

Coding at 10 AM (after coffee kicks in)
    Code:
    strncpy(dest, src, sizeof(dest)); // Happy days

Coding at 4 AM (kill me now)
    Code:
    strncpy(dest, src, sizeof(src)); // You just got owned by the Russians.

3. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

LOL, I know the pitfalls very well, I'm sure you understand deadlines.

Now imagine the police department complaining because their pay check is wrong, and you have the elected clerk of the city breathing down your neck, because the mayor is on her neck. Pressure. But we got it done, and we didn't have nearly as many problems as their old system.

Sh!t does roll down hill kiddies.

That was ten years ago, and I had much more energy than now. I'm doing new code tonight, so I wont be breaking anything in production.

4. starfish

Most of my work is in IT, don't do much programming anymore.

A couple of years ago we had a major production outage on 2 sequential Saturdays. First one I put in 18 hours on, on the second 20. That was just brutal. The up side is that I was a contactor and got time and a half. I made a weeks pay in just those 2 days.

I've had many long days and worked many crit sits in my career. However those 2 were by far the worst.

I used to do a lot of overtime when I was younger. I don't anymore. Unless there is a production issue, it waits till the next day. Otherwise you just burn yourself out, and you just become less productive.

5. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

being a software developer, I've always been classified as non-exempt (whatever means I get screwed on overtime, but sometimes can work 9am to 2pm on down days...)

6. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

now in deference to my customers, I'm going to stop planning and structuring the change, in my head and on paper.

Going to take a nap, then shower, breakfast, and energy drink. :grin:

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand what you're talking about with respect to pressure. I work for a revenue agency, and we have deadlines for when we have to open filing for individual income tax, for example. Sometimes, we also get issues with our direct deposit, and that requires programmer intervention to get the refund to go out correctly. Those have to be handled same day. But we always follow the same process: we do the data fix in the test environment on the same customer, make the auditors verify it, and then do it in production. Even same day. The business users hate it, but they get no choice. Tax data is too critical for us to ever be doing stuff directly in production. (I only see two to three of these scenarios a year.)

8. Fafner

Still don't have much professional experience, so the longest coding stretch I've been on must have the global game jam last year :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Was awesome tho :slight_smile:

9. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thankfully i'm still in college so i'm not employed my any firm at the moment. However, my senior year of high school we had to do a "senior project" it could be on whatever you want but it was supposed to take a year to complete between research, getting feedback, etc. Our project was due the Monday that we got back from Spring break and I hadn't coded a thing. That Friday I woke up at six and coded until midnight and then repeated that on Saturday and Sunday. To me that is little sleep as I required at least 8 hours of sleep in High School. After coding for roughly 50 hours over the course of 3 days, I realized I hated it so much that I refuse to do that again. Made me wonder if I really would be able to code as a job while maintaining sanity.

10. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Oh, let me say, my above example was an extreme case, and project specific.

Most times I work 30-50 hours a week. And it's not all coding generally, planning, design, interacting with customers, other developers, it all adds up...

11. Water lover

Water lover Guest

As a kid in high school my experience's with coding long hours are limited but looking back at my code it seems like I am brilliant at around 11:30 at night then I just become retarded. My "brilliant" code works wonderfully until I have to change one thing and realize I went 50 lines without a singal comment and the function I just wrote handles most of the logic for the entire program is is dealing with list of list. Guess there is always more to learn lol.

12. SomeNights

Lets see...i've gone 48 hours without sleep for coding.....followed by another 24 hours of straight sleep.