1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is This Sexist?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ZenMusic, Jan 12, 2015.

1. ZenMusic

Ever since I was little, I've always made any magic-using characters I created female, as I USED to think women were the more intelligent sex. Similarly, I made any characters who used physical weapons male, and I made compromises on rogue classes as I figured that women were both intelligent and more agile than men. I've since changed this, but was it sexist to think that way?

2. White Knight

It might be also influence of marketing. If you look into game art/ads women usually served as magic users(heck even some games has only female casters) or ranged/support type characters. While males served as melee/muscle example.

3. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep. Men are stronger than women on average but there are many women who are stronger than men.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nah. Pre/ill-conceived notions? Yes, but not sexist because you did not profess those things out of prejudice. It's just being a product of your environment.

Most commercials until recently portrayed men as hopelessly stupid and women as their responsible caretakers. Obviously those traits are only distantly related to gender. "Distantly" purely because of how each gender perceives the other compared to themselves.

5. Quiet Raven

In most RPGs that have pre set parties. (Tales series, and many Final Fantasy games, for example) that is the way it is.

It is pretty much the RPG stereotype. I can't think of a single game that has a male white mage.

6. Intrinsicallyme

To the OP, yes, that is sexist, because the dichotomy you've created is based purely on that person's sex. Whether or not you have malicious intent is another concept altogether, called misogyny. The two are often confused, but you don't have to be a misogynist to be sexist.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do apologize; this is what I meant. *runs away* :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Intrinsicallyme

No worries. Like I said, the two are confused a lot. :thumbsup:

Damn. I like this forum. Normally I'm stuck with a bunch of troglodytes who can't admit they make mistakes. :eusa_clap

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    P.S.: Prejudice in action.

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I would want to make a distinction between sexism and gender essentialism. Sexism is a framework of classification-based oppression in which one gender is--on the basis of gender essentialist beliefs--subjected to a disadvantaged position, denial of opportunity, exclusion, and/or violence. Gender essentialism is holding that men and women have inherent qualities that are different. Further, gender essentialism is a claim that men and women necessarily have these qualities, and that having those qualities is in part characteristic of and defining of their gender.

Though I would argue, perhaps controversially, that gender essentialism need not necessarily lead to sexism, but all sexism is gender essentialist. For example, males and females think differently about certain things, whether it comes to the family, politics, or how to solve an interpersonal problem. But it need not be claimed that one way of thinking be superior to another. To become sexist, one must combine an essentialist claim with a value claim in such a way that it is supposed that either women or men, but not both, have the superior capability, and furthermore, that on the basis of that supposed superiority, the other gender be excluded from whatever process needs that capability.

Then again, I always played female fighters. I think all that I was doing was being my gender in a computer game...

10. Anotheruser

Not prejudice because its true and not to be hateful my friend.

11. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sexist. Yes. Does anyone care? No.

12. BonnieJ2604

typically women are more agile and men have more physical strength. I do not think to assume this is bad. sadly, in society we are taught about how women WERE oppressed but many modern feminists act as if we still are. this is typically on the news and can influence a young person very easily. your opinion was sexist based upon the fact that you thought that women are ALWAYS more intelligent then men which isn't true, not saying that women are less intelligent. You obviously didn't set out to have sexist opinions, they were subconscious and not directed. So really you made a mistake and were most likely misguided. you realise the truth now. Conclusively, no you are not sexist
    Best Wishes
    -Bonnie<3

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Disregarding the necro, you honestly think women are generally smarter? There is a jab to be made there, but not by me because I'm being civil.