1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Character building

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by White Knight, Jan 13, 2015.

1. White Knight

While talking about Character Creation and stuff in other threads I wondered if there are people enjoy chacter building.

Spending good deal with reading builds, guides or playing on Character building software? Are you good with builds/understanding game mechanics?

I like character building. Have all character building software/site links for my MMOs. However I am not good at building or understanding game mechanics as I can't think as powergamer.

I more use the data I gather for building characters I want to play. Sometimes they can have amazing outcomes like my latest druid build on Champions Online but usually they deleted when they prove to be boring.

2. Nikky DoUrden

I did that in GW1 but usually i'll just take builds that top players play, even though it'll be somewhat similar to mine (because there is logic in them after all - like focus on doing damage).

If its about single player games then its completly different, because i'll always save points for later :X
    Or use google to figure out if a certain skill "worth it" :grin:

3. Lazuri

I play a lot of video games and I love playing them, but builds is something I never got into. The simple reason is that it takes something that should be fun and just makes it into a chore. In some cases it's like a freaking math lesson.

Besides, making a super powerful build tends to trivialize most single player games and in most multiplayer games builds themselves are trivialized by the fact that there's always one vastly superior build that everybody has to use to be on a level playing field.

4. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I make my own builds. I don't bother searching up builds, I just make my own.

Most builds out there go against how I play, anyways.

5. White Knight

While I understand (even I don't like) Favorite of the Month builds, I hate when games force to you build your characters in certain ways.

DCUO might be a good example, if you want to play any support/healer build you need to use ranged fast weapons... namely hand blast and dual pistols to make rapid combos.

This makes me get cold feet from the games fast.

I like Champions or DDO because of this. They have larger tolerance for weird builds. Tho' I was kind feeling sick seeing Two Gun Mojo and Devour Essence nearly on every alert. :/

6. sheepishgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    the only game in which I've ever spent more than a few minutes thinking about my build must've been Gothic 2 with its add-on, for the difficulty has been greatly upped from vanilla Gothic 2 and a succesful character requires much planning. Significantly buffed, difficult enemies, big learning point cost and yet the game is probably the most fun I've ever had and I've been playing it over and over for the last five years :slight_smile:

In other RPG's I mostly get a general idea in which direction I want my character to evolve and roughly follow it. Most of the time it somehow works out so I'm cool. I don't really play any MMORPG's, only some SW TOR here and there, so I'm not even used to that thinking-what's-most-efficient-for-me-and-my-team mindset. :slight_smile: