1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scary Horror Games!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by CyberScream, Jan 13, 2015.

1. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Scary first person camera games like Slender: The Arrival to creepy jumpy scary as 5 Nights At Freddy's. Survival Horror like Resident Evil or Psychological Horror like Silent Hill. Or Just haunting titles like Clock Tower or Fatal Frame or Rule of Rose. Many titles are out there. I wanna know what's good, whats underground. What makes you play with the lights on.

2. Fafner

I haven't played many horror games, but the Amnesia games are awesome and terrifying!

3. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Outlast....

[YOUTUBE]CrGa54rpvF4[/YOUTUBE]

4. Aro

Aro

While not conventionally the most scary, the atmosphere and the characters are what made this game scary for me and you should definitely check it out if you can. Telling you anything would be spoiling it for you; so I'll just leave it at the title. It's available on Steam and the Playstation Network for cheap. It's been out for a couple years now, but I absolutely loved it. One of my favorites. I also went in completely blind without knowing it was even a Horror game! So the first while really got me!

Lone Survivor: Director's Cut.

I also got the crap scared out of me with the Clock Tower series back in the day. And Ghorgh already mentioned Amnesia. I can't think of anything else right now!

5. Lazuri

Alien: Isolation. It's basically Amnesia or Outlast except with a good and extremely unpredictable AI.

6. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Best survival horror (and best game period) is The Last of Us. I still have PTSD from those damn Bloaters!

7. Lazuri

Honestly I wouldn't call The Last of Us scary. I'm a notorious scaredy cat and just can not deal with horror games but the only time that TLoU scared me was in the sewers. Bloqters induced panic, but weren't scary and they didn't induce panic either once you figured out that fire shees their armor. One molotov and they go down fast and if you have the flamethrower they are outright trivial.

Another game I don't know why people think it's scary is Five Nights at Freddy. It's literally nothing but jump scares. Sure, it gets me the first couple of times but after that I didn't jump. Besides, jump scares don't scare me as much as piss me off.

8. Quiet Raven

Corpse Party.

It is for the PSP. Definitely the scariest game I played. It is like a visual novel gameplaywise, but looks kinda like a 2D RPG. But the writing, music, voice acting, and even the visuals at times, makes it very creepy.

9. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The original silent hill is pretty damn scary, at least for me, there is something about the atmosphere alone that just makes me afraid to press on in the game! For a while I would literally only play it once a day, go out from the save point, run into an unexplored area, clear it, run back to the save point, save, turn off the game go do something else for the rest of the day! XD It's not like it's a hard game or that the monsters are even all that scary, the atmosphere of that game is just so thick and intense! And even though the enemies aren't technically all that scary I still panic when I see them and want to run away screaming! xD It's a pretty awesome game in that regard but the controls are really clunky which kind of adds to the feeling of helplessness but still I'm not going to praise clunky controls xD

10. Lazuri

The clunky controls in early Silent Hill and Resident Evil titles and most early horror titles in general were absolutely intentional. It caused players to feel like they weren't fully in control and when panicking it added an extra element to overcome.

11. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The original Resident Evil HD remake is coming out next week.
    Dead Space is another scary one. You can even tell from the title screen it will be

But yes I wouldn't call Last of Us Scary, it was more jump-scares
    --

12. TheDapperCorvid

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    SCP: Containment Breach. An indie game that combines psychological, supernatural and survival horror into one. You're a disposable test subject in the SCP Foundation, which houses numerous eldritch creatures and objects, and one of them, SCP-173 (a Weeping Angel-esque statue that teleports closer to you when you blink and kills you when he's too close) escapes and releases dozens of other SCPs. Your mission is to escape. It's free, and constantly being updated with more enemies.
    [YOUTUBE]lUSpF3pnNwE[/YOUTUBE]
    Markiplier can be distracting at times, but this is one of the more recent videos.

#12 TheDapperCorvid, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  13. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love PewDiePie!!! And yes Outlast really does it. I have watched the Game Grumps walk playthroughs.

I haven't not played The Last Of Us. I want to because it is such a beautiful game with voice talents from one of my favorite actors Troy Baker and a well known singer who decided to lend her voice, Otep Shamaya (OTEP). And yes. Those Bloaters. They are freaking weird.

I've have never played it. Though I had caught a glimpse of PewDiePie on youtube playing it. Plus I have the Anime Adaption Corpse Party: Tortured Souls. And thought Elfen Lied was disturbingly gruesome... but Corpse Party takes the cake.

I still have nightmares of Pyramid Head from Silent Hill 2. - @ Nekoko

And wow, I am impressed at such titles. Got some more of them I would like to toss about.

Siren (Forbidden Siren) The PS3 exclusive.
    P.T. This game did it for me... Based on the new Silent Hills. I chose this one because it's funny.
    [YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj5AF_m3-4I[/YOUTUBE]

And The Fallout Series. Usually not scary. But when Yao Guai, Deathclaws, Albino Radscorps, Feral Ghoul Reavers, start sneaking up on you out nowhere. It's a jump scare. The environments creep me out when i hit Raider territory.

14. Heatman1988

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I would say the best horror game I've played is Silent Hill 2. Not necessarily the scariest thing out there, but it's one of the most well made games I've ever played period.

15. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah I kinda accidentally made another thread. I like Dreaming Mary, Year Walk, 5 nights at Freddy's, those are just the ones I can name off the top of my head. I prefer horror games where you can't fight the monsters really, it makes it scarier.

16. Hiems

RE4 is scary. I was watching my brother play. Those guys with chainsaws and bags over their heads are so creepy. And after you kill villagers, some of them have the virus thingy with tentacles coming out of their heads o_e

Strangely, The House of the Dead series has zombies like RE, but the games were not as scary. I think it kinda helps that my brother always played House of the Dead with me. Horror games are less scary when they're multiplayer lol

17. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have a point there, Hiems. But the best horror games are the ones that hit you on a psychological level and on an emotional level.

Silent Hill series is a perfect example. Fatal Frame is also welcome choice. The P.T. demo release that came out on the PS4 was also a perfect one. The music and the environment whether it be dark, unsettling, and drab are what sets the mood. But it's the story line and the connections to the main characters you are playing in these games that really draw you in on the psychological level. As you empathize with a character and their story that's when games become truly frightening. And the monsters, unsettling music and score, dark and drab environments, rust, obscure surroundings. Some games focus on "what you don't see" and that allows your fears to rise out before the fun even starts.

"You think it's scary in the dark? Wait until the lights turn on..."
    "You think it's scary when you're lost? Wait until you're found..."
    "Everything that you see isn't even as half as scary as what you don't."

Those very concepts just terrify me. An I love to test them in horror games.

18. Lazuri

House of the Dead is more of an action game. You can't be scared if you're an unstoppable fucking death machine. A lot of "horror" games fall on that.

19. TurtleCat

Silent Hill 2 was the first survival horror game I ever played and remains the scariest to me, to this day. The original Silent Hill is pretty terrifying, too.

Siren was a really creepy game. I just started a survival horror game on the PS3 called The Evil Within, seems pretty cool so far.

20. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    FNaF has a new trailer out, for those that don't know already

[youtube]hdHlIy0W4uU[/youtube]