1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Jedi And The Sith

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ZenMusic, Jan 18, 2015.

1. ZenMusic

In KOTOr 2, many people blame the Jedi as much as the Sith or more than in some casesa for the Jedi Civil War. They seemed...content to put belief before rationality/and or doing the right thing, They have done this on many occasions (remind you of anyone?) This does not mean the Sith are any better. However, "Sith" is a title, as Kreia so brilliantly put it. They tend to start off with good intentions, and are eventually corrupted by other Sith around them and the callousness of their actions. Darth Vader (yeah I know, cheesy) brought untold suffering because of this, and his atonement was in the last moments of his life....far too late to extend on this course. The Empire tells it's citizens to be strong or die, and the Sith doom themselves to an endless cycle of death and betrayal. However, playing a Light Side Sith Warrior and Inquisitor show that using the "dark side" is only a means to an end, and that people from all walks of life can have pure hearts. I suppose what I'm trying to say is the Jedi are too quick to pass judgement and use this light-side dark-side claptrap instead of accepting the fact that there are good and bad people. What do you think of the Sith and the Jedi?

2. Rikudou

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry I do not follow StarTreck, as I find the story quite boring.

That being said, good and evil do not exist, there is only gray and peoples perception of it.

3. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Two very extreme sides to the same spectrum. I think that both groups are dangerous in their blind drive to shape the galaxy in their own image. I support the idea of a middle ground.

4. White Knight

Yeah I also find Jedi as repulsive as Sith. Jedi just boring and idiotic brothers of Sith. One will torture you while other could make your head explode with their holier-than-thou nonsense.

5. Linthras

Linthras Guest

They're called the Grey Jedi and I'm still waiting for a game where they are an explicit part of the story and you can join them.

Gray Jedi - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki

6. Lazuri

The Imperial Knights were all Gray. I'd love a game with them. If I recall correctly, the main character of Jedi Outcast, Kyle Katarn, is also a gray jedi who exercises the idea that both sith and jedi are bad in their own way.

7. Linthras

Linthras Guest

To my memory they were never explicitely called that.
    Yes, you can roleplay a Grey Jedi, but they're never explicitely mentioned, nor is there a game focussed on them.

8. Lazuri

They're listed as members on the very link you posted and were considered gray by the new Jedi Order, so yes, thay were gray.

And I know there isn't a game about them but I wish there was.

9. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Jolee Bindo is the only one specifically mentioned by name, all the other groups and characters are classified as Grey through other sources, like books, or by deduction and speculation based on the characters actions.

10. Lazuri

I don't understand your argument.

Gray jedi are force practioners that don't go by the creed of neither Jedi nor Sith. If a character follows these requirements, he is a Gray Jedi. Doesn't matter what he calls himself.

That's like me being a dick to only black people, but I'm not a racist because I don't consider myself that.

11. Linthras

Linthras Guest

It matters because it's a canon term and it's hardly, if ever mentioned in the games.
    There's also multiple sources hinting if not outright claiming there's a lose coalition of Grays, which I'd love to know more about, if not be able to join in a game.

What?

12. Lazuri

Okay, listen.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's what we do and not what we call ourselves that define who we are. A character doesn't have to be part of any coalition or organization to be a Gray Jedi and neither does he have to introduce himself with "hi, I'm Bob the Gray Jedi."

The term is rarely mentioned in the games, but that's completely irrelevant. Gray Jedi is a term from the extended universe which pretty much all Star Wars games are part of so it does apply in absence of any other term. Gray Jedi is also the widely accepted term in the extended universe and if you'd ever see a part of the extended universe that referred to a Gray Jedi as something else it would be a continuity error more than anything.

I agree that if there were a coalition of Grays they'd be an excellent subject of interest in a future game like a KotOR sequel, but if one really wants to play a Gray Jedi in any of the existing KotOR games you really just need to ignore the ideologies of both Sith and Jedi and do what you feel is the right thing to do in the current situation and invest in whatever force powers you want.

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ultimately it boils down to "lawful/chaotic" continuum more so than good and evil. The Jedi Order were so bound by their code (lawful) that it prevented them from doing the most good. On the other hand, the Sith were so focused on ruthlessness and chaos that they forgot, occasionally it helps oneself more to be kind to others.** It may put a damper on the whole "kill your master as soon as you are able" thing. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I would absolutely adhere to the light side of the Force though. The dark side comes naturally to us; we want to give in to emotion and destroy things and gain more power. It is through self-control and altruism that we can improve our surroundings and ourselves. The fact that light users can use dark side powers and vice-versa shows understanding that the player can (and absolutely should) make their own decisions about morality.

**Spoiler even though the game is old lol
    Darth Sion-- he figures it out and achieves peace.

#13 Argentwing, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015