1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Smartphone - finalizing options

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Tightrope, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You folks have been a tremendous help in providing criteria.

I am stuck on 2 phones, both recently discontinued but still available on line.

They are the LG Quantum (previously sold by AT&T):

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=2803

And the Samsung Transfix (previously sold by Cricket):

Samsung Transfix Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)

The reason I'm stuck on these 2 is because they are the only ones with slide out QWERTY keyboards that are Smartphones. I really prefer not to have a touch screen phone. I have a real touchy one right now. One or both does not have the 2 direction camera and a flash. Imagine that! My carrier said that it can oftentimes provide the service on "customer owned equipment" bought elsewhere that is compatible with their network.

So, I have 3 questions (I am not and do not intend to be a "power user"):

1. Can you tell from the data if the phones' screens turns lengthwise when the lengthwise keyboard is slid out and opened? I couldn't tell, but it seemed that some reviews mentioned that as a negative for the LG Quantum. I saw no mention of this for the Samsung Transfix.

2. I was told to obtain the I.M.E.I. number and report it back to the carrier to see if it was compatible with their network and if the phone was legit. Is this something that is easy to obtain?

3. Is it true that some phones can only operate in CDMA mode with one carrier and in GSM mode with another carrier? All the phones show different "values" for these modes. So, I'm wondering if AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and other carriers can function in one mode but not another.

Thanks!

2. tiger11

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't answer any specific questions about either of those devices specifically but I can give you what I know about your questions 2 & 3.

First off, the IMEI number is a unique identification number that is assigned to every single device kind of like a serial number. It would be impossible to get without having access to the device first, as it is usually printed somewhere on the phone usually inside the battery cover.

Secondly, you are correct. The majority of phones come in either CDMA and GSM models, and are exclusive to that technology because of the wireless radio inside the device. As far as I know there aren't many devices that have both types of radios built in, with the exception of the most recent iPhone 6 models. So you need to make sure that the device you are purchasing has a radio that is designed to work with the technology your carrier uses. You don't mention what your carrier is but as well as I can remember Sprint & Verizon are CDMA and T-Mobile & AT&T are GSM, so the devices sold by those companies will most likely be exclusive to the wireless technology they use.