1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horror games

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by crazycat, Jan 26, 2015.

1. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    I didn't see many threads about any horror games so I decided to make one.

I personally really like Dreaming Mary, Year Walk, Five Nights and Freddy's (I haven't played the sequel yet though), and I got Cry of Fear and Serena but I haven't gotten around to playing them yet.

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Evil Within- Game of the Year 2014 in my opinion.

Amnesia is also awesome!

3. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Page 3. http://emptyclosets.com/forum/technology-gaming-soft-hardware/165614-scary-horror-games.html

I had made thread a while ago. But no biggy.

Out of my collection that I own, even if they aren't really scary, they fall into the genre:
    Dead Island
    Deadly Premonition
    Fatal Frame II: The Crimson Butterfly (Director's Cut)
    Resident Evil 6 - It's a horror game... but not really
    Clock Tower 3
    fear effect 2: Retro Helix
    Life-Line: Voice Action Adventure
    Nightmare Creatures II
    Resident Evil 2, 3, Code Veronica X, 4, 5, Outbreak
    Rule Of Rose
    Siren
    Silent Hill: HD Collection
    Silent Hill: Downpour
    Slender: The Arrival
    and many more I can't think of.

4. Lazuri

I am a huge bitch and literally can not play horror games. I just can't deal.

That said, one of my fondest memories from my convention days was playing Fatal Frame 3 with a couple of close friends. We hijacked a room for ourselves and it just happened to be a room made for theater so the walls were black and it was fairly big, so we placed ourselves in the middle of the room and turned off the lights. It was so dark and big that you couldn't see any wall in any direction, just black void in all directions. It was perfect.

I gotta say though, I don't see the hype about Five Nights at Freddie's. It's just jump scares, the cheapest scare tactic in the book, and even a huge bitch like me only gets scared the first couple of times, then I just start to get pissed off.

5. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    The thing with Five Nights at Freddy's is that it isn't the jump scares that are scary. It's the overal environment, the tension of trying to reserve enough power to make it through the night while at the same time checking the cameras regularly, it's the idea that at any moment Foxy might come running down that hall and if you don't catch him in time your dead. The jump scares themselves are lame-it's the tension leading up to the jump scares that's scary.

6. RickyTricky01

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love the first Resident Evil, but i don't like the full saga (i don't like Resident Evil 4 and 6, i liked the 5 because it had a good multiplayer mode but i hated the 6!), I played a little the first Silent Hill and it was totally awesome! I like the indie horrors like Five Nights at Freddy's or Amnesia (i like the first, the second...Just NO), this year i think i'm going to play some Horror games because i usually don't play them too much, i think i'm going to buy The Evil Within, Dying Light and some Indies :slight_smile:

7. Lazuri

Eh, I still don't see it. Even in that case there are games that do the whole atmosphere and tension better like Amnesia, Fatal Frame or Alien: Isolation. I get tense just watching those games.

8. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh yeah Amnesia is really good at that. I've been meaning to pick it up. Oh! And I forgot about Outlast! I saw a let's play of that by 666theheartless666 and it looks really good!

I played Fatal Frame at a friend's house once it was pretty good. I could probably find an emulator for it somewhere.

9. Lazuri

Don't forget Alien: Isolation either. It's similar to Amnesia or Outlast but it gets freakier due to the fact that the enemy AI is ridiculously clever and unpredictable.

10. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me too, the closest I'll get is survival horror, because The Last of Us. I still have Clicker PTSD.

11. Sh1f73r

Five Night's At Freddy's 1/2 I can only play the Roblox version because yea, its really scary.

12. Jellal

I hate hate hate hate hate playing horror games.

But I definitely got into Amnesia, though I had to stop playing it when I got to the prison. I just couldn't deal anymore. So I watched the rest of the game in a playthrough online. So what if I didn't have the guts to finish, guts aren't my strong suit. I really liked the buildup they had going on in Amnesia 2, but ultimately it was really awkward compared to the first.

13. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    UUuuuuggghhh I remember seeing a let's play of Amnesia 2 and it just seemed really dull.

14. Sonoa

Out Status:
    Some people
    I love horror games but i never have the heart to actually play em, mostly i watch horror lets plays. I actually got amnesia quite awhile ago but i still havent played it yet, kept saying i will but still lacking the courage :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Though my favourite horror game thus far would be outlast

15. STM29

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love them and I hate them at the same time.
    I like playing them but not too long without a break, because I need time to recover from all the internal stress they cause :lol: :tears:
    But I love playing horror games on multiplayer mode, that's more fun than stress :lol:

I love the Resident Evil saga, but I haven't played all of them yet. Outbreak is cool, 4 was good, 5 was great on multiplayer mode and 6 was also okay :slight_smile: I started Nemesis but never finished it and for the first one I have only watched while a friend played it. I have it at home for the ps1 and it's still waiting to be played.

Fear was okay, but Fear 3 was actually more shooter than horror.

Dead Space seems scary, but still haven't played it :rolle:

ObsCure 1 and 2 were awesome and.. scary (Damn, sometimes I'm such a coward :lol:slight_smile:

Well, that's all for the moment that comes to my mind

16. Lazuri

You know, I just got reminded of a competetive multiplayer game that was in development, but I can't remember its name.

Basically all the players play as a horror creature that can jump high and climb walls. They all spawn in a large cavern and in that cavern there is an artifact of light. When you pick up the artifact you become human and that's how you score.

The players who are still monsters try to kill the artifact holder to claim it themselves, but the holder can protect himself. The artifact produces a beam of light not unlike a flashlight and when you shine it on a monster they must stand still to turn to stone or they will die.

I watched a trailer a while back and it looked really intense.