1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody into PC building and gaming?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Jolly Roger, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Jolly Roger

Hi I'm new here and just wanted to start a thread about PC building to meet some people with similar
    Interests or talk to people possibly needing help or advice on the process of PC building or just other things involving PC Gaming. Yeah I know I probably sound stale already:lol:

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a PC builder, but I'm not as much of a gamer as I used to be. My interests now have gravitated strongly towards computer security, so I care a lot more about virtualization.

In fact, even my choice of graphics card was more influenced by the instruction set (and support for particular instructions better for cryptographic hash functions) than gaming.

This is my current build:

Core i7-2600K (stock)
    AMD R9 290 (stock)
    16GB RAM (some random, crappy 1600 Mhz DDR3)
    Corsair Neutron 240GB SSD

I would very much like to upgrade to Haswell-E, as I'm impressed by the architecture as well as the X99 chipset, and I love the idea of a faster memory standard. I think this is probably one of the biggest improvements in computer hardware lately. Nobody really cares about clock speeds anymore, although the speed of our memory is very important.

I hope to be able to do some interesting and fast math, including getting some hash preimages. :3

Also, welcome to the forum, sweetie!

Adrienne

3. Jolly Roger

Thanks for your warm welcome. :icon_bigg Yeah I haven't been doing a lot of gaming on my PC of late either, mainly due to school and the such. My rig is
    Fx 8350(OC 5.0ghz) on water
    Gtx 780 ti(1300mhz)
    8gb 1600mhz adata
    Samsung 120gb ssd boot
    2tb HDD mass storage

I mainly use my rig for gaming and video editing. Like you I'm feeling its the time for a processor upgrade and I think I'm gonna go haswell but replacing a motherboard in my case(pun intended) is a bit of a chore. Well thanks again for the responce and the welcome. And I hope you enjoy the rest of your day.:icon_bigg

4. YunoGasai

well i tend to daddle around with pcs abit
    i5 4670k(4.4ghz 1.164v)on water (apogee hd ,360 30mm with noctua nffp12s,xspc x20.
    z87x oc force (an absolute beauty)
    8gb kingston hyper x beast 2400mhz(at full speed thats why oc so low)
    120gb intel 520, 2tb hittachi.
    sli gtx 970s with the sexy nv coolers with backplates. ohh soooooo nice
    silverstone raven rv02 , bitfenix alchemy orange cable kit , mayhems pastel orange coolant

and soon will mod my tj07 to a sorta murder mod just need the time ,tools , money,desk space ect...

this rig is just for gaming and music, all entertainment XD its my pride and joy

---------- Post added 6th Feb 2015 at 11:21 PM ----------

[​IMG]

5. YunoGasai

[​IMG]
    JUST FIGURED OUT HOW TO POST PICS XD

6. CyberStar

I have 40 computers last count.

7. Jolly Roger

:eek: Wow that's quite the collection.

8. Rikudou

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was into doing builds, until it got too expensive of a hobby with no real gain, now I just want for things to work and only really tamper with my desktop computer, when I absolutely need to. As of writing this the uptime on said computer is 3 days, which is typically not a lot but in my case it is working overtime at full capacity. Feeling quite proud of myself, considering it is a four year old build. Manufacturers release new tech far too often these days, when the old one is still perfectly usable.

9. FrenchKid98

I love building computers. Sadly it is an expensive hobby :lol:

To date, I've built 3 computers
    (I've also modified one (an already made HP), and repaired/modified 3 laptops.)

I've built a HTPC (home theater PC), a NAS (network attached storage, basically a file server) and the best one, a Hackintosh (which is basically a PC built to be able to run Mac OS X)

The config of the hackintosh is:
    - i7 3770k (OC 4.0GHz)
    - GTX 660ti (Superclocked by manufacturer, 3GB memory)
    - 16GB 1600Mhz RAM (Crucial if I remember correctly)
    - The system is dual boot so OS drives: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (Mac OS) and Crucial M4 128GB (Windows 8.1)
    - Storage drives: All Seagates: one of 2TB and one of 3TB
    - Bluray drive & normal drive
    - PSU is Corsair (if I remember right)
    - Case is Corsair Carbide 500R (white version)

It is not watercooled, I used air cooling but I used a very efficient heat sink with dual fan system (forgot the brand name, I think it is the same brand as the top fan in YunoGasai's picture (nice clean build btw :slight_smile: )

#9 FrenchKid98, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015