1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your favorite fantasy RPG/fiction setting?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by White Knight, Jan 28, 2015.

1. White Knight

Title says it all.

Which one is your favorite... to read, to play in or even write.

What is appealing part of the setting? Which works you like from that setting most?

Let your geekness rise. :grin:

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Steampunk is always nice. The Wild ARMs series had this type of world, as did Animes like Trigun and Desert Punk.

Final Fantasy VII mixed scenic and industrial well-enough, and that was enjoyable.

Final Fantasy X had a diverse world. Advanced-looking cities, ancient-looking temples, and the more fantasy-like terrains, such as fields and mountains.

Medieval is fine, too, if not a little overplayed. But it's nice to see at times, like in the Elder Scrolls.

I've always enjoyed forest-like settings, similar to what you'd find in The Legend of Zelda or Chrono Trigger. Forests always feel fantasy-like, even in real life.

Despite the title implying 'fantasy', I'd like to add, a science-fiction world that I really enjoy, is from the Alien series.

#2 Kaiser, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  3. crazycat

Out Status:
    A few people
    I do like steampunk.

Honestly I like a setting that is well developed enough to seem real, and unique enough to not seem like every other game out there. I also like settings based of folklore and mythology.

4. White Knight

I like to play in Fearun. If you think my first ever fantasy fiction novel set was Avatar Trilogy and first FRPG was Neverwinter Nights it is easily understandable. I especially love stories involve Gods of Fearun.

I like to DM games in Eberron because of its more flexible alignment system and many cool gadgets you can make with elemental binding. Cities/states like Sharn: City of Towers or Karnnath makes good ground work for mystery/horror kind games I like to DM.

I also love White Wolf's take on vampires.

Interesting takes on normal fantasy settings like Legends of Korra (steampunkish, oriental victorian) or He-man/Thundercats where fantasy mixed a bit of tech.

5. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I like steampunk and those types of classical fantasy that deviate from the common Medieval pseudo-European setting (Guild Wars 2 springs to mind).

I do write fantasy myself and I do try to spice up my setting without making it completely original - mostly by adding elements of different mythologies from all over the world and giving a spin of my own on traditional fantasy cliches.

6. White Knight

This is the advice given to me by great Elaine Cunningham. She said to me there are too many Forgotten Realms like settings, take advange of being from different cultural background. Even if I stopped pursuing my fantasy fiction writer whims I find her advice priceless for us, people outside USA.

Russia has very good folklore/myths you can add for uniqeness. Balkans and Philippines are other great sources for folk/horror stories.

7. Lazuri

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Shame there aren't a lot of good steampunk games.

Another setting I enjoy in addition to what Crazycat said is the modern fantasy setting. Basically where it takes place in a modern setting with fantasy elements, sometimes with a secret society thing going on. Settings that spring to mind are World of Darkness and The Secret War. It's a shame The Secret War is such a terrible game because the setting is really amazing, but I find the game to be unplayable.

8. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Steampunk, Medieval Times, and anywhere with snow.

9. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Steampunk mixed with a sci-fi city atmosphere. Like Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children's Edge but more steam punk. Or Callisto from Cowboy Bebop but more steampunk.

10. Lazuri

I think the setting you're thinking about is Dieselpunk.

11. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is such a genre?

12. Lazuri

I don't know if it's exacly what you're thinking, but Dieselpunk is a thing. So is Atompunk, but it's not nearly as popular as the other two.

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dieselpunk is basically '20s-'50s type combustion aesthetics (think chrome grills and exhaust pipes on everything) but with advanced tech that maybe works with vacuum tubes. I think it's pretty cool. :slight_smile:

My favorite setting has got to be Mass Effect's because it's not only fantastical, but very believable in how well it is explained and, where possible, based on real science. Aside from the Reaper threat it is not overly fatalistic, and is a setting where most people not caught up in the corruption and violence have good standards of living.

A close tie for second exists between Elder Scrolls' Tamriel (around Morrowind's timeline) and Star Wars' Republic era.

#13 Argentwing, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  14. Images and Words

Steampunk!
    YaY

15. Lazuri

I really like the ME setting too. There's a lot of pseudo-science that makes it really good.

16. Jellal

My favorite imagined fantasy world in a game was Ni no Kuni. The beauty, whimsy, depth and mystery of it all was staggering.

Generally my favorite kinds of settings involve a world which is post apocalyptic, and has experienced so much time lapse/culture change/plot fuckery since then that people don't even realize the true significance of the radical events which happened in their past. A lot of my favorite video games take place in worlds like these—Wind Waker, Mother 3, and Pikmin series. As a writer this is also just the way I love designing fantasy worlds.

17. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, and the Wild West, if that counts.

18. White Knight

I like ME universe as well. However that general tendecy of planets of one climate in sci fi universes makes me really uncomfortable. Snowy Noveria and Hoth, desert like Tatooine and such. Also somehow there is no cultural/racial/languistic difference between creatures inhabiting same planet...

Take Tuchanka, I don't remember if there is a logical explanation for it but on a planet where all plant life killed due radioactive war, how can Krogans or other creatures can live? Water should be poisonous, no reasonable food chain to support a survivable eco-system.

I know fantasy fiction has its illogical sides like Dragons, what they eat, why they need gold/riches or feel like collecting hordes... Most of all how you can kill an effing dragon with punches and kicks... :rolle: (And on DDO's account how can you evade fortidute saves...:tantrum:slight_smile:

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's nothing saying that Tuchanka is still viable in the long term. I chalk it up to Krogans being the toughest sons of guns in known space and surviving on a combination of imports, looting, and scavenging. But even then it's safe to assume the radiation hasn't permeated very far under the surface, so cave dwellers and the like are probably still alright.

20. White Knight

Unless Krogans are cannibalistic they couldn't survive that much. They call Pyjaks as vermin and clearly varrens and trasher maws not for food.

I recall Krogans survived thanks to their multiple organs but there is a huge gap in food chain.

Actually this is why I am luke warm for a Mass Effect MMO, just to travel universe and find answers to my questions like that. If only I can also have a Salarian loverboy... *sigh* one can only wish.