1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So anybody else hyped for Evolve?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lazuri, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Lazuri

Or is it just me?

2. Images and Words

Ech. Not super stoked, but slightly interested

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds cool, but i cant say I'm really hyped.

4. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Saw the trailer today on tv, it looks like fun. Not the sort of game that I will buy though.

5. Aro

Aro

Not just you at all! I am really hyped for it! I saw the announcement trailer and instantly knew that it was going to be a game that I loved. I'm tempted to pre-order it for Steam. I am forcing myself to wait for a while, however, just to make sure the reviews don't come in completely negative. I think it's going to be awesome. I love the concept. It's right up the alley that I like games to go. I hope they add a lot of content to it.

6. antibinary

Age rating too high. So no.

7. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would be, but I wish they had more monsters...

8. Lazuri

There's three now with a fourth under development. That's not so bad.

Honestly, I'm surprised to see so few people looking forward to it. I thought it was really fun when I tried it.

9. Aro

Aro

I have a feeling that they will add a lot of new content. Classes and monsters both. Even the number that they have now isn't bad at all, I agree. I'm a bit surprised as well. Usually people go for the genre and I think the premise is very interesting. I am sure that when it launches officially, there will be more interest drumming up. For those on Steam in particular, I am sure.

10. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cannot wait for Evolve! I'm a bit of a Evolve super-fan. I really enjoyed the alpha and the beta. It's nice to play a multiplayer game that's actually different.

Also... Daisy. Enough said!

11. Lazuri

All hail Daisy, savior of humankind.

12. Lazuri

Turns out Evolve is actually really fun.

And amazingly well balanced. After 1.2 million matches the Monster/hunter win ratio is at 49.9/50.1%.

13. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw that! As the Monster I find it quite easy to sneak around and chow down on the Hunters. I find it so hard to kill the monsters as a Hunter. Perhaps my teams haven't been very coordinated?

I'm loving the game though.

14. Lazuri

I'm terrible as the monster. I'm really good at tracking as the hunters though, coordination or no. Though I quite often find the monster on my own and end up in trouble.

15. Tardis2020

Way too much paid DLC.

16. Lazuri

Oh my god, am I going to have this conversation again? Alright fine.

What's so bad about the Evolve DLC practice? Seriously? People complain that there's a lot of day one DLC that "should have been on the disc" and then act like it's something important, but it's not. It's cosmetic monster and weapon skins that most people don't care about. And here's the real kicker that nobody seems to realize; when they developed the game, they wanted to release more maps but realize that if you want to release maps as paid DLC, you split the playerbase. So what did they do? They added the OPTIONAL cosmetic DLC because it just about covers the cost of new maps so that they don't have to charge for it to avoid splitting the playerbase further down the line. This is so that you can still play with your friends in the future, even if you never buy any DLC.

What I find funniest about this complaint is that other games like Gears of War 3 and various CoD games have released with a large amount of paid weapon skins too and STILL ended up releasing map packs that split the playerbase and these games gained virtually no criticism for this at all.

Now down the line there's also DLC for new hunters and monsters and these are not day one DLC. They are not done yet because if they were, they'd be up for purchase and they're not. In fact they won't be released in months. The hunters are priced alright but the monsters are admittedly a bit pricey, but all of this--the important DLC--is covered by the season pass which isn't very pricey at all considering. But the best part that everybody overlooks is that even if you don't buy the DLC monsters, you'll still be able to fight other players who own them. This basically means that you, again, get more content for no cost and the playerbase still isn't split.

The game's bad reputation comes from some trendstarters that everybody decided to agree with to increase their channel views or webpage clicks. It's all bullshit caused by a bunch of annoying firestarters that have singled out this one game for virtually no reason and I find it funny because these people who do it for their channel views and page visitors are more in it for the profit than the game developers are.

So in conclusion I want to ask: what is so bad about Evolve's DLC practice?