1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video Games

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by nisomer, May 31, 2005.

1. nisomer

So what kinda vids/pc games do you guys like to play?

I used to play tons of games, but I've cut back this year. I have a PS2 and an X-Box but hardly play them. The games I play are mostly PC games. Warcraft 3, Counter-Strike 1.6 & source, Half Life 2, Age of Empires, Day of Defeat, and a few others...

The past year I've been playing mostly counterstrike. Started up a clan with my cousins last summer, we had a server, joined CAL (if any of you know what it is), and we pretty much died out when school started. Recently I started playing 1.6 again. If anyone else plays counterstrike we should play sometime :slight_smile:

Oh yeah and I wanted to get World of Warcraft really bad when it first came out, but the monthly fee was stopping me. Now I am glad I didn't get it, after seeing many of the people I know who play it, THEY CAN'T STOP!! I don't want that game to ruin my life more than games already have lol.

2. hawkeye

lol, I've never been absorbed by games, but my favorites are:
    warcraft 2
    half life 2 (i even got a tour of valve! great time)
    Battlefield 1942
    Halo (dont own an x-box, but i love the game)
    DDR (love hate relationship, i love the game, my feet end up hating me)
    Ivan Ironman's Super Off Road (ok, name the system! lol)

like I said, I've never been absorbed in games, I'd rather sit back and make my own. my friend is setting up a website for our games, so hopefully I'll be able to show you guys mine in the future. (made for windows)

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never liked first-person combat/shooting games. I like RPGs and strategy, mainly the Civilization series. Civ3 is awesome. I bought City of Heroes ages ago but I'm afraid to install it because of the whole "take over your life" thing that was mentioned.

Ultima VII Part 2 is my all-time favourite. The entire Ultima series was pretty good but that one was the best. Funnily enough I never got into UO.

I prefer PC games over game system games but I always liked the Zelda games.

4. Micah

I must admit I got sucked into the World of Warcraft scene :rolleyes:. As for the monthly fee, it's on my brother's credit card and he hasn't asked me to pay him back yet. lol

Other than that I'm a fan of
    -Elderscrolls, particulary morrowind.
    -Halo 2
    -Warcraft 2 + 3

There are probably more but I cant think of them right now

Dave

5. Phenobarbidol

I'm a big fan of the Silent Hill and Resident Evil series, but i do not play video games that often anymore. I love the original Half Life (my computer would probably disintegrate if i were to try to play Half Life 2) I'm not really into playing games online. And i think Roller Coaster Tycoon is one of the best games ever.

6. goratrix

Right now... evoultion5 and Knights of the old republic II: the sith lords (sorry, still a star wars fan!)

7. nisomer

hehe glad u are :slight_smile: so how is it? i havent played it yet, but i really liked the first one.

8. goratrix

ok... again.... no story! It's just 20 hours of slaying sith and then finally nothing happens! it's not like the first one, you know, when you have to save bastila and all that shit. And oh man, that sith battle station ruled!

Here... I just used force storm (yeah, even though I was full light) and destroyed everyone. I could kill about 15 sith soldiers with three storms... it was freaking hillarious.

Anyway... I finished and now I can study History for my final in less than 36 hours...

9. hawkeye

lol, i'm into a serious game of spider solitare. I'm stuck in windows right now because i decided to try out the napster to go service. might play battlefield 1942 a little bit later. its a pretty cool game. cant wait till i can afford battlefield 2 after it comes out

10. nisomer

hey go download the demo right now!

11. goratrix

I don't know if it qualifies as a game... but I'm having the time of my life installing gentoo... I feel so... 1337

XD

12. nisomer

well i feel so...noobish. i have no idea what gentoo is. or wait, does it have something to do with linux or something like that?

13. goratrix

Yeah... it's a metadistro designed to give the user as many choices as possible. You actually compile the kernel from sources, and choose each package you want to install...

The instalation is a bit annoying, but after the ten or twelve hours it takes to get everything up and running it's worth the effort... for you will have a fully custom system... :slight_smile:

14. hawkeye

I love gentoo, when i first started out trying linux, i tried red hat, knoppix, slackware, mandrake, suse, and i couldn't get a feel for anything. Gentoo was when i finally grasped everything. It practicly is a game to me. Its that next thing i can get working, the scanner, my 10 button mouse, a new keyboard layout, spam control, networking, distributed computing. That next challenge is my game, and i guess i'm addicted to it.

Ok, a bit of a confession, I am... a geek. Ok, i feel much better now.

But realisticly, the chalenges that i put myself up against to get stuff working is very similar to working a puzzle (or playing a game). In order to finish the task, i need to learn a little more, and refine my skills, and then when i finaly finish it, i get a new component of the system to work with as my prize. Heck, at least i have something new when i'm done other than another beaten game.

15. goratrix

I am working backwards... I was having troubles with my NIC drivers... and I recompiled the kernel and changed from lilo to grub and now I can't even boot... :'(

Still... for tonight I expect I'll solve this problem and begin installing KDE (about 20 hours to fetch and compile... yeah, I know... it's like 87 ebuilds...)

16. hawkeye

goodluck on the network card, those can be a major pain. And KDE is a killer also. At least if X is set up right, you dont have much to do on your own for KDE if i remember right. As for downloading, one thing that I've used to speed up the downloading of many e-builds is to use a "emerge -fetch-only package" and then when one package finishes downloading, go to a different console and "emerge package", so you can download and build at the same time. I'm not absolutely sure that -fetch-package is the right term, but if you look it is self explanitory.

Ok, to stay on subject, umm, oh, Half Life 2 rocks! If you have it, do a google for "gary's mod", its pretty crazy.

17. goratrix

--fetch-only Yes... I know. I got my nic working, and I am now about to install KDE... although I'll just leave it do things automatically... so I go away and it does everything... XD

I have played HL2.. I hated the ending... it was way too easy... and a bit repetitive... you know... I really liked the surprise at the end of HL1... but in this one... the enemy was so easy to kill... I didn't die once throughout the entire game...

18. nisomer

i bought hl2 when it first came out (mostly for cs: source). i played hl2 for a while and for some reason i stopped and never went back to it. i feel like i waisted my money cuz i didnt really think source was as good as 1.6. the only thing that was good was the graphics and the new gravity system. but the gameplay is worse.

btw i have played gary's mod, its pretty awesome.

19. Corny

Corny Guest

yeah the endboss was really disapppointing.

but you didn't die once the whole game? ok there was this one situation where you had to hold that room for so long. first time i placed the auto-guns wrong.
    and than there were some scenes with those fucking striders, i hardly beleive that you could get through there first try without dying .. well maybe on easy or so :wink:
    that being said .. i died NUMEROUS times .. just because i had so much fun trying stupid things (eg with the zombie traps, grav-gun/sawblade, explosives and and and :slight_smile: )

20. goratrix

Oh, yeah... the second time I played it I did try all those things... I had a really good time with the grav gun... but It wasn't a hard game at all, and Ia lready knew what to do most of the times... for I saw my brother play it first.. (yeah! that's cheating!!!)...

Ok, on another note: I am finally wrting from a fully graphical gentoo system... I finished emerging kde after 37 hours (I need to let my CPU rest for a while) and am now isntalling firefox and sound components (drivers, libs, etc)