1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They don't make games console like they use to...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by JessicaWolfess, Mar 1, 2015.

1. JessicaWolfess

My ps4 is less than a month old and it has already died =/. Never put it in rest mode, never moved it, never screwed around with settings I didn't understand...It kind of started gradually, I would have to take the power lead out and back in again for it to start.

But now it's completely dead. No lights, no beeps nothing. Changed the power lead from my ps4 to my ps3's, changed hdmi cable, plugged the console in directly to the wall, changed displays. Nothing.

Guess I have to take it back tomorrow unless you guy's have suggestions?

2. Lazuri

No, it's probably dead.

One mistake people will often do is putting the console in a confined space. The PS4 generates ridiculous amounts of heat but actually has a very good cooling system and the console is adept at pumping out all that hot air. But if you put it in a confined space, the cooling will do nothing and it will swiftly overheat.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had no such misfortune with the latest two console generations. Sorry to hear yours died :frowning2: but I wouldn't blame the entire line. You either got a lemon, or as Laz said, might have had insufficient ventilation.

4. JessicaWolfess

This is the replacement console I got today. I don't think I'd call that a confiened space. I could move it back further away from the wall but thats about it

ps4.jpg

#4 JessicaWolfess, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  5. Aro

Aro

I've been lucky myself. The only system I have ever had problems with is Nintendo Wii. It didn't outright die, though. It stopped reading discs. And had trouble turning on once and a while.

But yeah. Of course they don't come like they used to. Failure rate is up on any given system because there are so many more aspects to them than there used to be. They have more processing power, ports, and anything else you can imagine. More components, more opportunities to one of those components to be faulty. It's unfortunate, but that's just how it is.

RIP your new PS4, though. :\ That is truly a shame. I hope that if you decide to get a new one that it won't give you any more problems. I know how frustrating it can be.

6. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

They don't make ANYTHING like they used to anymore.

7. YunoGasai

its so sad to see the way consoles are going nowdays. the xbone is overpriced and buggy and the ps4 still cant run games at 1080p 60fps. at least the 360 was revolutionary for the time as for the *next gen* consoles they struggle to play as well as 2 year old pcs.
    maybe in 2 years consoles will match pc performance for the price. because right now my friends £400 pc that he got a year ago is about 2x faster than the ps4. bf4 ps4 = 900p medium 60 fps friends pc bf4 1080p ultra 45-unlimited fps, on medium 90fps or more. i just really love pc ^_^

8. Lazuri

No, that should be fine. I also remebered that the PS4 is pretty good at telling you when it overheats too by turning itself off and refusing to turn on until it cools along with a flashing light somewhere. You probably just got unlucky.

I agree, though, they don't make consoles like they used to. These consoles were basically old the day they came out and the exclusives released so far have been poor. Between PS4 and Xone, the only exclusive I am interested in is Sunset Overdrive, and it's likely to be ported to PC.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't go this far. Have you seen the crash test videos of a 2000s car vs. a 1950s car? The former kept the driver untouched, whereas the latter driver got completely annihilated as the whole front section crushed him.

Little things are victims of cheap manufacturing and corner-cutting, but I wouldn't say we live in a world of only shoddy craftsmanship.

10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    True.

Ach, sorry to hear that (*hug*), yeah, you need to give it back... Lucky you it was still under warranty, so... It could have been worse, much worse.

On the other hand...

Re: They don't make games console like they use to...

... You wouldn't want an 8 bit game console, wouldn't you? :icon_wink

11. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I wonder if it would turn out the same if it was a 1970's or 80's car.

Anyways, there may be a few exceptions, but the majority of things these days are cheaply made compared to things from 20 or more years ago. Old game consoles and computers are a good example, they're still around, a lot of times in working condition. Take a modern computer or console and let some 30 years pass, and it's most likely dead.

#11 NingyoBroken, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2015
  12. Lazuri

Having done my driving split between one car from 2014 and one car from the early 80's I can say that the result would absolutely be the same. The old car is heavy, slow, cumbersome, hard to maneuver and lacks a bunch of safety measures that are standard today. It didn't even have ABS.

One of the reasons that modern technology breaks down easily is because it's infinitely more complex more so than due to shoddy craftmanship. I mean, if you were to put the amount of data that a modern CPU processes every second into a 30 year old CPU, it would either take a very, very, very long time to calculate or it would simply fry immediately. All this extra power come from more, smaller components and hence there are more things that can break down. It's just the trade-off for performance.

13. JessicaWolfess

When I made the title I was refering to old playstation consoles. My ps1 has gone through pretty much war, 4 years sitting on solid ground were people walked through all the time, Way way WAY overused, been dropped a few times, and even been submerged in water. Yesterday I hooked it up to my hdtv and was playing the original crash bandicoot like a champ!. Same with my old silver PHAT ps2, it suffered less damage but had been opened quite a few times. Psp was also pretty durable along with the vita. The ps3 was also pretty durable but far more flimsy and a far higher failure rate to the past 2 systems. I'm on my second ps4 in less than 2 months of having the system and has seemed to die for no reason, I'm treating my new one like a new born child until atleast I finish bloodborne.

14. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You can't just simply take a modern videogame and run it on a 30 year old processor, it's not going to work. One thing is to burn a DVD on an old Pentium 1 under XP (it's doable, takes a lot of time, but I've been there), and another thing is to feed a processor with data it won't understand. It-won't-work.

There is two main reasons why modern consoles are crap :

1. Software is crap (compared to 20 or 30 years ago). Programmers are using languages that are crap (again, compared to older, more robust programming languages), and most of programmers are working nowadays under a great deal of pressure... The result : Programs grow into gazillion of lines of crappy code, and with exponential complexity, you have a higher chance of errors.

2. Hardware might be not crappy designed, but it's assembled too quickly on the factory, using workers that work under pressure and under awful working conditions, and quite a few popular corps come to mind right now. So, shoddy craftmanship is part of the problem too.

Jessica, I have a fully working Nokia 3410. It is a phone that might be well over 15 years old. It has suffered all kinds of abuse. It is also very old for a mobile phone. And it works.
    And then I have a wonderful tiny xthing touch that is not even five years old. It has hanged often, and the glass is already broken. And I better not mention what my android phone does to my blood pressure...

15. Stripe101

My PS4 is in great condition.

My PS3 is in great condition.

My PS2 is in great condition.

I disagree with you. You should send it back. Yours must have been very faulty.

16. JessicaWolfess

Alittle update for those interested, the replacement ps4 is working fine even so many months later. Guess I just originally got a faulty console.

Sorry for the bump!

17. Dollop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sorry to hear this i think it is more down to bad luck. There are always going to be bad models off the production line its something that comes with mass production. Me i have had great luck my first ps3 wouldnt load dics but after this it was fine. This is also a reason why i leave it a while before upgrading consoles. Its the same with brand new cars. By a second hand one which has been used a little and u know any issues would have been found. Where as buy a new car off the production line then there could be problems. Good job for warrenty really :slight_smile: hope u have more luck

18. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hardware reliability use to be one of the appeals of consoles, but that's not as much of the case anymore.

If the console breaks, you pretty much need to replace the entire thing or send it back to Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo to get it fixed for a price. You are pretty much powerless to open it up and try fixing it yourself. In fact, it may even be illegal to open up your own console and do anything to the hardware. One thing I like about PCs is that if it fails, you usually only need to replace one particular part (unless there was a power surge damaged all the hardware, CPU heat sink failure damaged CPU, or something like that).

I've had a CPU heat sink fail on both a PS3 and a PC before. With the PS3, I had to ship in the entire system and pay Sony ~$160 to fix it. I think I got it back about a month later. With my PC, I only had to buy a ~$25 heat sink from an electronics store and install it. Thanks to CPU throttling, the CPU didn't get damaged when I initially failed to notice that the pump on the CPU water cooler was failing. It currently overclocks to 4.2 GHz just fine with the ~$25 heat sink.

#18 BobObob, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  19. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This generation of consoles suck.

20. CyanChachki

Don't you have a warranty on that? PS4's are like 500$ and for it to only last a month (I'm assuming it's brand new)...it shouldn't do that. Maybe take it to the place you go it, with the receipt and tell them what went on.