1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MMO communities

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by White Knight, Mar 12, 2015.

1. White Knight

Inspired by messages in another thread so here is a question for you all.

Which was/is the favorite community in MMOs?

Which ones LGBT friendly?

Which has terrible general/zone chat?

Friendship systems?

Roleplaying?

You know every social aspects of the games you played.

2. Aro

Aro

I honestly cringe at most of the communities. I don't know why so many of them are so terrible, but I actually have had good experiences as well.

Hands down, that would be The Elder Scrolls Online. Particularly early on when the Closed Beta just came out. I was there from the second weekend. Everyone was very supportive. People were doing what they were supposed to. Even towards the end when hundreds of people were invited, it was an incredible experience. I don't think I was ever happier in an MMO. At the end of almost every Beta session, we would all get together in a city and yell at the developers in a big mass group (often naked). It was incredibly uplifting to see such a fun community. I loved it. And I still love it. Honestly, it's the most friendly one I've ever seen. In all the time I've had it, I've really only run into 2 unsavory people. And that's pretty awesome. Considering the other experiences I've have with MMOs and it's people.

I don't know of any that are actively friendly, but I do believe that TERA has good, supportive fans of the community. I was never a part of it in-depth, but there were people who had Guilds there before it was free to play. I don't know if they are still there.

Do I even need to say it? World of Warcraft. Especially back in the day. The Barrens zone chat was a complete joke. I don't know if it was like that on every server, but that was how it was on mine. I don't know if Trade Chat counts, but it's always 100% awful in any place on World of Warcraft.
    Friendship systems?

Roleplaying?
    I've tried roleplaying on a lot of different MMOs and it just doesn't work out, or it feels weird. It was a toss up wit this one, so I will just say the one that I actually RPed the most on. Runes of Magic. There aren't a ton of emotes or anything, but they have a great character selection and the lore behind everything actually makes for great RP. I had a lot of fun doing it when I played some odd years ago. If you're curious as to the other one I was going to mention, it was Guild Wars II, though I personally have not RPed on that game a whole lot. Not my cup of tea.

3. Lazuri

Probably Guild Wars 2. When the game treats the players as essentially one giant party with emphasis on working together, the rivalry disappears and everybody became quite friendly. The only unpleasant people I ever encountered was a misogynist and a couple of Muslim extremist preachers, for some fucking reason.

Again, GW2. At least the guild I was in literally didn't give a single fuck what you were.

Giving this to WoW. The Barrens chat was so terrible that the RP private server I ended up playing on named their off topic nonsense chat channel "The Barrens."

Friendship systems?
    Best or worst? Best I'd have to say Champions Online and Guild Wars 2 tied with each other. Both games allowed higher leveled players to play essentially uninhibited with lower leveled players so you could always play with your friends, whatever character you both were on. I don't really have a worst, though. All MMOs I played with at least had functional friendship systems.

Roleplaying?
    Well, I roleplayed on a private WoW server for years, but I dunno if I'd say it was best. The Old Republic was also nice to RP in because I'm a Star Wars fan. But I think the price goes to Champions Online. First of all, the game let's you be essentially anything. Secondly, the game have so many instanced interiors and even let's the player buy their own, customizable ones that you can invite people to. You could always find a spot to RP in where other people simply couldn't bother you. The freedom and privacy leads me to say that CO wins, though it always annoyed me that the game didn't feature a /roll command.

4. Hiems

Lunia. In open beta, there was a tight knit community that stuck together quite often haha. I was pretty active in the PvP scene, and it was quite fun.

Like someone else above mentioned, TERA seems pretty LGBT friendly. Some guilds recruit mainly LGBT folks and straight allies.

Definitely TERA as well haha. People get into fights all the time :rolle:

Roleplaying?
    TERA again haha. It's ERP btw. There are even guilds that recruit members that only do ERP, and if you don't, then they'll kick you out lol. It seems appropriate to do ERP in TERA, especially when the characters are designed so well. Who wouldn't want to with a Castanic male, for instance? :icon_redf :lol:

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only MMO I have played to any decent extent is World of Warcraft and if you are on the right world server it's extremely gay friendly. The server that my Alliance characters are on is probably at least 60% gay. I actually know a couple who met through one of the larger guilds on that server when they were living clear across the US from each other and are now married. My horde characters are on a different server--because there's a cap on how many characters you can have on a server. While that server isn't predominantly gay like the other one is I've never noticed a problem.

6. JackBikwik

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Funny enough, I found Age of Conan to be remarkably accepting of LGBT. I RP'd a ridiculously over the top gay guy just because I expected people to freak out about it, considering how dudebro the game in general is. Instead, my char got fairly popular and people thought it was entertaining as hell. Tons of other LGBT people came out of the wood work any time I was on.

On the other hand, I have asked about "LGBT friendly" guilds in other MMOs that I would expect to be open and gotten tons of nasty replies. "just don't mention it and you'll have no problems." "omg why do you gays have to make everything about who you fuck." Yes, sure, I'll just completely chop off an entire part of my being so that you don't have to acknowledge that non-heteros exist. My bad.

7. White Knight

First answers:
    Was.. City of Heroes and DDO EU servers. Not that current servers of DDO is bad but back on those days things were more refined thanks to P2P system.

City of Heroes/Villains and again DDO EU. I got my courage up to speak about my sexuality openly online from friends on EU forums and in game friends. In DDO EU I was semi roleplaying a dwarf crazy gay elven bard... kept jokingly hitting on male dwarf players and usually got funny answers and some even played along.

All games can have their times for worst zone chat however Neverwinter Online/Protector's Enclave is the worst. You can't even message with friends because of constant spam of LFT/M, gold or item sellers or trolls shouting in zone chat. I either miss what my friends say or have to enter an instanced mission to talk with them.

Friendship systems?

Cryptic games. They follow CoH's global friends system which is very nice. Also you can talk across the games. We had conversations going with my regular gamin buddies across NWO-STO-CO.

Unfortunately DCUO and DDO doesn't have that function. With several of us having severe altisis, one of our gaming friends had to make a huge list of which toon belongs to whom... it is especially confusing with fantasy games.

Roleplaying?
    Never dipped into RP. However had good RP base and friends among them in CoH Union (unofficial RP server) also back on DDO EU server which was also unofficial RP server. Tho forgot its name.

Now little tid-bits.

Main aspect of MMOs for me was being socially interactive games. However nowadays each new MMO have concept of level up solo/team on depending on how good player(i.e. how hard you can farm or how much money you poured) you are on level cap.

Probably this is why I like DDO, especially below level 14. You can team causally in general. You might come across some idiot kid who thinks they own the game because they have FotM build but generally it is fun and laughs, especially on long missions like raids or chains.

8. Manitoban

I play Start Trek Online. Has a significant RP group due to the IP, though I dont really participate in that aspect, but the devs often have RPers in mind with things like interactive chairs, bar areas, clubs etc... The zone chat is... interesting, we can leave it at that. There is good fleets or guilds if you will. I know there is a fairly large LGBT fleet, I'm an ambassador to them but I'm part of another group so I only them superficially.

9. Alt

Alt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Do you still play DDO?

10. White Knight

Yep. We have regular sessions with my old CoH buddies on Saturday nights.

Also I work thru my TR ideas but very slowly.

Correction to my original post: Okay while still teams going on in DDO, in the server I am playing people tend to zerg thru'. It is so bad we started a raid(12 player content) with 4 people... only F2P one and rushed to end before half of the guys stepped in. There might be new players who need to learn things but no one respect that anymore I guess. You aren't running a soloable(at least for new and F2P player) quest... it is a raid. Did I say something? It is one of the few lessons you learn in MMOs, you can't argue with stupid selfish players.

Just waiting for my next/first TR life to begin recruiting to my guild and running casual teams to make new players enjoy the game and learn it instead of stepping in and finishing out.

#10 White Knight, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2015