1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elementary OS Freya and Pantheon

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by DylanV14, Apr 12, 2015.

1. DylanV14

DylanV14 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So my laptop recently crashed and the Windows 8.1 install broke so I did some research on Linux... I have used Ubuntu but don't like Unity and installing other desktop environments is just not worth it because well... I'm lazy and don't feel like doing research on ways to make Ubuntu suck less. Now Elementary is Ubuntu based I know but it is so awesome and Pantheon is eye candy and fast. Do any of you have experience with Linux and wanna share your Distro/Desktop preference and dislikes

2. blackhatguy

I tried dual booting my Mac and just about broke things. But I think if you single boot using some linux distro, you'd be fine.

Personally, I almost always use Mac OS. When I'm paranoid, I run either Kali or Tails off a DVD or flash drive. You might want to play with those a bit, seeing as how you're young and have many years of trying to take over school networks ahead of you. Sadly I'm not a hacker, if you wanted to be, it's never too soon to start.

I'd probably go with Ubuntu, but I've heard good things about Elementary

https://tails.boum.org/
    https://www.kali.org/

3. DylanV14

DylanV14 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had severe problems with Ubuntu on my laptop because it was UEFI and my laptop supports both but after the install it got worse and I eventually couldn't load Windows from Grub2-efi even after adding the custom entry it just rebooted into Lenovo Startup menu but I downloaded Freya today and installed it as the ONLY OS setup UEFI secureboot and it works great

4. blackhatguy

Nice. When it comes to IT, my strategy is generally along the lines of this. https://xkcd.com/1428/

So you probably know more about this than I do by now.

5. Images and Words

I personally use Puppy Linux booted off a USB thumb drive on those "paranoia days" you think of. I had some issues with Ubuntu not outputting on my Radeon 7770, so I didn't use it, this was a few years ago, I have since upgraded, however, didn't try ubuntu again :lol:

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey sweetie! (*hug*)

I'm an Arch Linux girl. I am a huge proponent of this particular GNU/Linux distribution. I recommend it, although it takes a little bit of learning; it's very customizable, but customization is required for basic set up, so you'll be spending a lot of time on the wiki.

For an Arch Linux based distribution that I call "Ubuntu friendly" (as in, graphical, minimal technical choices installation), try Antergos.

I believe that the installer allows you to choose the desktop environment you want. I'm not even sure Unity is an option. (And I agree with you that it sucks.)

~ Adrienne

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am currently running Linux Mint. I've bounced between Ubuntu and Linux Mint since 2012. I have been quite happy with Linux Mint--it works well for me and my needs.